Destination Time
:
Present Time
:
Last Time Departed
Sign in to follow this  
Mini-Me

Cancelled classes due to exessive heat

I'm a little p***ed of the day that just ended over here :D.

I've been in school, had musics in the highest room of our school and we had the windows opened to hope to let "cool air" in the room.

I then heard the sound that announces that "the voice from the speaker" will talk to them.

And it came, but I only heard him babbling not understanding what he was talking. But when I heard the pupils' jubilation I got that he said their classes just are ended by the heat.

Not thiry seconds later our school's speakers also forced us to listen to what Mr. Bolz had to tell us: "The grades five till ten can end their classes after this lesson due to the excessive heat. Teachers of grades eleven and twelve are asked to modulate the courses to make the heat bearable."

And guess what? I judt got in the teaching degree for secondary schools (German equivalent to A-level), which is grade 11/12.

Why did this never happen when I was in these grades? And why do the damn politicians think we Abiturienten (German equivalent to pupils of A-level) may not get free?

That's not only unfair, but also illogical!

Sucks for you. Sucks harder for us. I live in Holland and when it gets really hot here we just have to bear it. The whole frikkin day.

Tell me, because it's colder here already arrived -5 ยบ C and not canceled classes

Edited by Dany

I live in a country that forces all schools to have air conditioning. <_<

Edited by Joe Statler

in England they don close the schools when the heat is really warm they make you stay but high temperture like that hardly ever happen anymore, although the flooding managed to have the schools close (more than rain water sewage aswell) but thats what other countries are like they are more logical about i think.

lol, the English are unlogical, yeah rofl2.gif.

Driving on the left side, saying Europe is a different continent they don't belong to...

No seriously, everyone has an own opinion and the opinion of an individual mustn't be the same as other ones.

@Statler:

Wow, you're lucky, air-conditioned schools... A thing I only can dream of :(.

We had 37ยฐC/98.6ยฐF and 30 pupils in one room with locked windows (apart from one) that couldn't be completely opened even heat it up more.

@CJ:

I had to bear it too, only my little sis could go home :(.

But last night we had a quite massive thunderstorm, which has taken the temperature down about 5ยฐC...

I'm enrolled in a school WITH air conditioning, EVERY SINGLE classroom. And since this is a tropical country, thus we are used to extreme heat, I honestly haven't heard of a case of classes being suspended or canceled due to excessive heat.

Here they cancel classes cause of cold.. Some winters it gets down to -30ยฐC :mellow:

Edited by -RG-

I live in America, where our state-funded school system is so poor that they can't afford to have the air on all day, thus we either get really cold in the afternoon, or blisteringly hot.

Well we don't have that problem in texas. They've just been firing employees instead. :P

When it gets hot, we take off the jackets. When it gets cold, we put them on, even going so far as putting scarfs and gloves on as well.

FUN! Nothing can stop classes here, not snow, not heat, not even a terrorism act in some another school. Nothing. People are expendable here.

An epedemic? No sweat! Just isolate that class from others!

A flood, because some dink threw a cherry bomb into the toilet? No sweat! Just move everyone's classes to the top floor!

A fire? No sweat! Just continue the classes, unless it is your classroom the fire is in!

Gotta LOOOOVE it here. You know that the elite russian squadrons could easily take on europe? NO, they HAD to throw millions of soldiers onto the enemy lines and get them killed. Because they are EXPENDABLE.

I kind of like it this way. Gives me another reason to move to Canada, New Zealand, Australia, some place quiet.

Edited by  iPro

Guest Gameznerd
Sucks for you. Sucks harder for us. I live in Holland and when it gets really hot here we just have to bear it. The whole frikkin day.

At our school not :P We get summer hours :P Wich means less hours. When there's just a little bit snow(in winter) we get snowfree :P And I'm living in Holland 2. So on wich hard school are ya?

Edited by Gameznerd

Since when do we get snow free? Last time it snowed here was this year and there wasn't even enough snow there to cover my shoe soles. I never get free if something happened. The best teacher in school died and the classes didn't even stop.

ipro the flood i m talking about was more than water it was sewage and alot of places throughout england was hit, note that would be more than a flood because it was caused from the terrerenctial rain going into the sewers and filling so fast that the water just went up and carried sewage with it (thats toilet sewage)

and the floods just so happened to cause millions of ยฃ's of damage.

When it gets hot, we take off the jackets.

I wouldn't like to sit in a class where everyone has taken off all the clothes due to the heat xD.

not even a terrorism act in some another school.

Hmmm... this happens more often over here. About 10 years ago, you haven't heard of such a thing, but within the last 10 years I know of ca. 7 cases in that pupils in Germany freaked out, grabbed weapons and shot people in school.

These schools stayed closed for some days and weeks. Also this is the reason why politicians want to set higher restrictions on shooting computer games, "Killergames" as they're called in this context. They even wanna go that far to completely forbid them, what to my mind is stupid. As far as I see it, it aren't the games that make people go crazy, it is the environment they live in and another factor is that all these people had access to weapons and were training shooting with 'em, what is the biggest fault tmm.

An epedemic? No sweat! Just isolate that class from others!

That's nearly the same over here related to the flu pandemic, once you go to the doctor being diseased with it, he has to report that health authorities that isolate you from school and force you to stay at home. But if many pupils on school get infected, they'll also close that.

A fire? No sweat! Just continue the classes, unless it is your classroom the fire is in!

We need to get out instantly and the classes are ended for that day, 'cause police must release the school again.

In my school district, only 2 out of 3 highschools have conditioning. The one I am going to only has 4 windows, so they need it. We actually have the coolest school in spring and fall, and the hottest rooms in Winter. In fact some kids wear t-shirts to school in winter because they know it will be warm when they get inside.

The other highschool has windows and along with cooling and heating, but not as good as ours. The third highschool only has windows for cooling, and a 60's era heater to keep them warm. I always feel bad for our boys who have to go and play basketball there in the spring.

In a tropical country like here in the Philippines, a thing you call a "heater" is also another thing we rarely hear here. I mean, seriously, this is the FIRST TIME I've heard of such a thing. :lol:

As far as I see it, it aren't the games that make people go crazy, it is the environment they live in and another factor is that all these people had access to weapons and were training shooting with 'em, what is the biggest fault tmm.

That's the problem back then. Ever since the whole "Doom incident", they started to blame violent video games but they didn't try to think of the possibility that Doom and any other shooting game was NEVER to blame. That's when organizations like ESRB came in, but I don't think they convinced them enough. If kids begin to behave violently, we shouldn't blame the games but the parents who allowed their kids to play them in the first place.

Also, always thinking kids copy things they see we're doing and that they CAN'T know if it's good/bad to do themselves is like thinking all kids are idiots and can't learn at all. Heck my brother started playing Red Alert 2 and Half-Life at the age of 7, and when my uncle who's a cop showed him a pistol he stepped off and said "I thought only adults can touch those". But not saying he doesn't like violent games -- heck, the games he plays the most are Toribash, CrossFire, Left 4 Dead, Counter-Strike and Red Alert 3.

Haha, I hear ya man. I know this girl from Jamacia, and she was shocked to hear that we pay to pump heat into our homes. :lol:

But I find it so funny that my elementary school and middle school never upgraded there cooling and heating. The only people who ever complained, were the ones who were born out of state. They don't have that thick Wisconsin blood!

We have to wear uniforms here, so jackets are actually those bad suiting dark blue jackets with oversized pockets.

mini me, i dont think you have anything to complain about. they didnt let the older kids go home because theyr supposed to be MATURE enough to work in difficult conditions.

weather over here never gets that extreme, its RARELY too hot or too cold to leave the house. and most classrooms will have heating and air conditioning. the only time we ever got (and i say got coz i finished school last year) sent home unexpectadly was when there were roadworks that had to shut off the water supply, and a school cant legally be open without a clean water supply over here.

as for blaming it on politicians mini me, they wouldnt have been the ones making the decision, it would have been your school.

True. Teens should be mature enough when they play violent games. Funny that those who are involved in the "Doom incident" are all 15/16/17-year olds.

as for blaming it on politicians mini me, they wouldnt have been the ones making the decision, it would have been your school.

No, it is a written "rule" that pupils of grades 12/13 mustn't get free 'cause of such things.

Even if our school wanted, they couldn't let the courses stop.

@DK:

I'm not 100% sure, but I guess the Doom incident is nearly the same thing as I said. Some pupil playing Doom, running through school doing a massacre and then the game was made the suspect.

I'm not 100% sure, but I guess the Doom incident is nearly the same thing as I said. Some pupil playing Doom, running through school doing a massacre and then the game was made the suspect.

That's the one I was talking about. I was specifically referring to the 1999 Columbine High School massacre, one of the 37 shooting cases of 1993-1999.

Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold, the two teenagers I was talking about (lemme correct that: 17 and 18 year olds), were involved in the massacre. When Harris was planning for the massacre, he said that the killing would be "like f*cking Doom" and that his shotgun was "straight out of the game". The two committed suicide after the killings.

Anyways, US Secret Service and DepEd discovered that most of the people that were involved in the shooting cases suffered depression and had a history of attempted suicides, and had no special interest in the said game, but despite this many still insist that the violent games are behind all of their violent behavior.

Sign in to follow this