:
Present Time
:
Last Time Departed
Sign in to follow this  
Evil Morning Operator

Let's Talk about the Half-Life series

Half-Life-2.jpg

Yo guys! Let's talk about half-life and tell us what you like about it. And afcourse you could discuss about the game and such.

Oke, let's start with the first discussion issues:

What happened to Xen and such. I know after the portal storm's they came on earth, but couldn't they've stay on Xen, or did xen dissappeard?

Where did the combine came from? I know they were attracked to the portal storms, but they didn't came from Xen, since the Vortigaunts are compeeting them aswell. So were're they from?

Oke, futher you could help ya self.

This is for all Half-Life fan's.

So enjoy this topic while it last.

Afcourse you could discuss Half-Life 2 Episode Three and Half-Life 3 aswell, but that are your choises ;).

Edited by Evil Morning Operator

I know little about Episode 3, and Half-Life 3. It's been awhile I haven't played HL.

I recall working on a Half-Life 1 mod named "Half-Life Zero". It would supposedly serve as a prequel to the entire series, starring a junior/senior year high school Gordon Freeman. My plan for this game/mod was minimal violence, more puzzle-solving, more wit needed, more twists and more functions for the Crowbar. B) IF I ever go back to my old C++ days, I might revive this mod with the Source engine. It's the BEST HL mod concept I've come up so far.

Xen's still there. Nothing happened to it. But hell knows what else happened to Xen. The Combine can't reach it because it was said that the Combine tried invading the Nihilanth's original homeworld and the Nihilanth's race tried escaping to Xen, where the Combine could not follow.

SPOILER:

Doug Lombardi -- "We had a glimpse of the larger threat when we were working on Half-Life. In other words we knew that once you cleared out the Nihilanth, you were going to discover something worse beyond it. We knew that some immense threat had chased the Nihilanth and its creatures out of their own world and into Xen, from which location [i.e. the world beyond Xen] they were all too glad to seize the opportunity to continue on to Earth with suppression through the Citadels. But the exact nature of the threat was left to be solved in Half-Life 2."

Marc Laidlaw -- "I'm pretty sure Doug was restating something I'd told him; I [am not] clarifying it, since it's the foundation on which the series continues. What we saw in HL1 was the very end of a long struggle between the Combine and the last of the Nihilanth's race ... The Nihilanth's "world" (if it could be said to have) was long since in the past as far as the Nihilanth was concerned; Xen was their final retreat, and they had their back to the wall, as it were, when the fissure appeared that let them spill into our dimension. Xen itself is sort of a dimensional transit bottleneck--an area of continual contention."

I remember reading something in the net, or perhaps hearing Dr. Mossman said in one of the HL2 games (I can't really remember), that the Combine while being able to warp from universe to universe ("multi-versal travel") can't warp from one place to another in the same universe. It's something the Resistance has, however, and Combine might be fighting them for it, to allow them to conquer galaxies faster and easier. That, or because the Combine is in the process of finding easier methods of teleporting. As seen in HL2, they would require an entire reactor to use a Combine teleporter, while the Resistance uses less power and less gadgets. Xen creatures, however, use probably no tech at all and less power -- they were using Xen as a sort of slingshot to teleport between Xen and another universe.

This might also explain why the Combine were that interested to investigate Aperture Science, which was also working on in-universe portal tech.

Aha, Yeah. I supposse you're right (Half-Life 2 Episode Three is still in the making :P, so you wouldn't know what's in it :P) But we could discuss what could be in it. Not only the borealis afcourse. But perhaps more.

So, give your opinion about what's in ;)

why is it that it seems like even after 3 yeas they have stopped working on hl2 ep3, its p**sing anoyying. we keep waiting for their game. it just better have aload of graphical improvements and longer gameplay for the amount of time they've been developing it.

They didn't stoped. In 2009 there as a sign again. Gabe Newell had started a deaf club or something. So that's a sign of they still working on it. But then again.

Valve's creating Portal and such. Since that is from Apenture Science. They'll probably going to set something up for that to get the story for Apenture Science set.

That would mean there will be stuff from Portal in the upcoming Half-Life 2 Episode Three.

Sounds like a nice discussion point :P

There can be heavily damaged turrets, but as for the portal gun, it will probably be a prototype, which will be damn huge, if it appears in Ep3, and even if Ep3 happens.

I know that. But the other stuff? Turrets perhaps? And some other 'beta' or even 'alpha' stuff of it. The drawings of the ship are atleast from GLaDOS. So there should be something from Portal aswell be on it.

Don't ya think?

It would. It ain't dead, atleast I don't hope so.

why is it that it seems like even after 3 yeas they have stopped working on hl2 ep3, its p**sing anoyying. we keep waiting for their game. it just better have aload of graphical improvements and longer gameplay for the amount of time they've been developing it.

I don't mind waiting. I mean if you want quality you have to wait for it. Look what happened to Star Trek Online since Cryptic rushed it's development after acquiring it from Perpetual Entertainment after their bankruptcy. What made it worst is that the original staff wasn't brought in to finish the game, so the new staff had to learn the code and engine quickly, which left the gameplay to be bland and repetitive.

Edited by Joe Statler

so if they take another 2 years then i will though be expecting it to have the smae amount of gameplay as hl2 since hl2 took 5 years to develop.

i think that usually the longer the development time the longer gameplay you get, afterall games are acareful mix of quality and quantity for example, you could have a plate of food that tastes really good costs alot but isn't at meal quantity. or you could have too much quantity and the food tasting like cardboard the best games are at a mix in between the two.

Sign in to follow this