Destination Time
:
Present Time
:
Last Time Departed
Sign in to follow this  
Dragon King

Ubisoft's new DRM or copy-protection scheme

As some here may/may not know, there is a new Anti-piracy scheme for future Ubisoft PC Games. Which by the way has been proven to only be a pain in the ass to legit customers as the pirates remain unaffected (as always).

About this scheme:

You purchase a good looking game for let's say $50

For Ubisoft, PC game owners must validate a key to play any of their future games. Not bad right? It gets worse.

After installing said game with CD key, you must sign-up to Ubisoft's server with the key present on your account profile. So what can be wrong with that? Just hang on a little bit more.

So after all that, now it's time to play.

So, you double click the Shortcut to the exe to start the game. But as you wait the launcher comes up. Wait- what is this launcher?

It is asking you to sign in to Ubisofts server in order to start the game. So at first thought you look for the option to play without signing in to the servers. but wait a sec.... You don't see the option to play offline.

But what does this mean? Well, I'll tell ya..... you know that single-player game you just bought for $50??? Well......... YOU HAVE TO BE ONLINE TO PLAY!!!!! NO IFs, ANDS, OR BUTS!!!! Don't have internet? Too bad you just wasted $50 cause you can't play.

Did Ubisoft's servers go down today? Well until they are back up, you can't play.

Did your internet crap out on you since it's Wi-Fi? Well too bad you are booted from the game and you lose all progress.

Is your ISP doing scheduled maintenance? Too bad, you can't play.

oh and that game you just were able to save, is stored on their server.

Currently affected titles include:

Silent Hunter 5

Assassin's Creed 2

Settlers VII

and any FUTURE pc game from Ubisoft.

And here's another worthy note from Ubisoft: They can not guarantee that they will patch out these DRMs if and when the servers for these games go away. They say it's the plan but have yet to say that they will actually do it.

And i thought GTAIV sucked balls having to sign in to two different online accounts to play (Rockstar socialclub AND windows games live) at least you can play the single player offline once validated.

Well your stats are posted on both sites. Could of been better but at least it doesn't have you by the balls.

You have to stay connected the whole f*cking time to play, otherwise the game will stop if the servers crash or you disconnected from the net, so if you just made a huge progress in single player and you haven't saved the game yet it would suck to be you.

This "copy-protection scheme" is a joke, the worst idea for a DRM ever. Do they really think this would work?

Cracks FTW. :D

So far the pirated versions are looking much sweeter to everyone lol. So this DRM is only helping piracy.

i love having an xbox
Which is about as useful as a broken pencil for Silent Hunter 5, it's PC only ;)

I was about to buy Assassin's Creed II and Silent Hunter 5, when Ubisoft came up of this sh*t.

I agree with 'ya there, DK. There's now a good damn reason why many loves piracy.

Instead of people saying "Did you hear about how good AC2 is?" "Yeah, I gotta go buy it!" You now get "Did you hear about how good AC2 is?" "Yeah, it's amazing. Has some horse s**t DRM. When is the crack coming out?"

My best reference for cracks is @ gameburnworld.com. They have a good archive of cracks, patches and trainers there. (fyi I'm not promoting piracy here, in fact the site's owner hates piracy; and yes, the site's safe and virus-free)

So this DRM is only helping piracy.

So true. It only engages piracy producers because many want their work. That idea is just s**t.

Also, I see my privacy affected again. They'll always know when, how long and whatever I play. A legal user has to bear s**t just due to the DRM...

heres what will happen why you try to play the game

*starts game*

*Drm bollock*

*some time later*

*some more time later*

*you can now access the game*

*this person has dies of old age and/or boredom*

It's a shame, I thought that Ubisoft was a clever company that makes great games.

Edited by carloscarlin

My best reference for cracks is @ gameburnworld.com. They have a good archive of cracks, patches and trainers there. (fyi I'm not promoting piracy here, in fact the site's owner hates piracy; and yes, the site's safe and virus-free)

I like GameCopyWorld myself

DRM's are a joke. What was wrong with a CD key, and you were on your way? All it did was just tell ya if you actually bought it. Sure it was 20 seconds of typing, but so what? Piracy will always happen, and this is just another thing to add on and keep it growing.

What's next, you have to have all installers and files scanned to make sure your install is legit?

20100219.jpg

Sign in to follow this