:
Destination Time
:
Present Time
:
Last Time Departed
JOHN007

If You Had A Time Machine

Nope, it ain't: Evolution = changing from a creature into a totally diffrent creature. Adapting = Changing to fit in your living area.

False...

Evolution - is change in the genetic material of a population of organisms from one generation to the next

True...

To make DK's description of evolution more complete:

"Though changes produced in any one generation are normally small, differences accumulate with each generation and can, over time, cause substantial changes in the population, a process that can result in the emergence of new species."

So evolution isn't entirely about becoming an entirely different species -- that would be called speciation, which just ONE part of evolution. It's a long and slow process living beings undergo.

Whenever I research stuff that many consider as theories like evolution and the Big Bang, the pages that come up doesn't include the word "theory" in the name anymore. Either the whole theory is proven, or, like what happened to some already-proven theories, it "broke down" to many theories related to the subject due to some or most of the theory being already proven, while the others are still left for debate.

if you think about evolution if you notice certain features on humans seem more left over so like the appendix that just gets taken out if something goes wrong so its obvious that is a left over piece of our evolutionlary chain.

It's called human vestigiality, and I've already explained that a while ago in my 2nd previous post. See the spoiler.

I know you're not serious when you said that, but I just wanna say this:

SPOILER:
Evolution is not always about getting something new. It can also be about losing something we no longer need because we adapted so much that we don't need these features anymore.

You'd be wondering why we have what we call human vestigials. These are organs that we don't need, and that we can live our lives normally without, yet we still have them. These include the appendix, which used to be as important as our the modern human stomach and intestines, our wisdom teeth, goosebumps (which is used to make our ancestor's body hair, which used to be hell longer than ours, stand up and make them look larger to scare off predators), a small fold of tissue in our eye called plica semilunaris which is a remnant of what is known as the "third eyelid" (which pretty much tells that our ancestors used to have 3 eyelids), and a tailbone (which is so unneeded that not only we don't have a tail to begin with but also it gives nothing to us but pain if we try to sit in a wrong position).

According to evolution, they're simply leftovers in the whole evolutionary process, leftovers that are yet to be completely get rid of as we evolve (which we still do apparently).

So, I ask those like John DeLorean who argue that everything has a reason why they're there or why they happened, and they didn't happen "by chance", and that God is behind all of it, why the f*ck did God give us these completely unneeded parts in our body in the first place?

Oright enough about the evolution theory and faith. :angry: Be nice and please stop. I don't believe in the evolution theory, well not completely. There are parts of it which I believe and parts which I don't believe.

For example: Evolution theory - We come from the apes.

Faith in God - God created, The Human.

I believe in the last one, because that says that it was instand, and not in milion years. I don't expect you to believe this. In my opinion you may believe anything you like, if that makes you happy. Anoter example

For example: Evolution theory - Creatures evolve in diffrent places and times.

Faith in God - Creatures could adapt them self in diffrent places and times.

Well that's almost the same, so I believe both. Again my opinion, I'm not convincing anybody.

So guys, please stop and get back to topic ok?

Ontopic: If I had an Time machine I would go to the future and look if I have a wife over there :P. If not, then I become a monk in the Past time :P.

the reason we continue to talk about this is because you and john delorean dont seem to understand evolution AT ALL, and the only way you can seriously hold a solid faith in somthing is if you completely understand every aspect of it.

evolution is not a beleif system its simple genetics. people take on the genetic traits of their parents, wether it be appearance, disorders, physical or mental ability. okay, everyone knows this

that is all evolution is. for example if you take a speceis that is used to a warm climate and put it in a place with a cold climate, wich members of the speceis are more likely to survive and reproduce? the ones with more body fat and body hair because they can withstand the temperatures better, so the next generation will more likely be made up of children who are descended from these fatter harier adults. and so on and so forth

thats how it works, theres no magical force that controlls it its simply a speceis adapting to its environment, theres no beleif in it. evolution is absolute indesputible fact.

and as for the earth being 6000 years old as i think you were suggesting emo, carbon dating completely blows that out of the water. what is carbon dating? its the process that takes an old bone or object and measures the amount of radiocarbon built up in it to determine how old it is. this is how we know that the dinosaurs were around 65 million+ years ago rather than walking around in the garden of eden with adam and eve like some sort of twisted version of the flintstones as creationists will have you beleive.

its really really simple.

and as i said before, if there is a god or higher power (im not saying there isnt im just saying that nobody knows, so assuming you have it right is a waste of time) there is NO WAY that ancient humans had the technology or the know how to figure it out. so thinking any of the modern deity worshipping religions (hinduism, christianity, islam, judaism etc) got it spot on right the first try is just absolute arrogance.

for all we know indiana jones could be on the right track with the whole "aliens interfering and developing ancient society" thing

we just dont know, all we can do is trust the research that is being done.

beleif in god is absolutely understandable and perfectly fine in my book, just as long as you dont use your faith to limit what you can and cant do. and as long as you dont waste what precious little time you have worshipping rather than going out and experiencing the world

Edited by EarthwormJim

if you think about evolution if you notice certain features on humans seem more left over so like the appendix that just gets taken out if something goes wrong so its obvious that is a left over piece of our evolutionlary chain.

Actually, they just discovered the use of the appendix. I believe the use had something to do with the immune system.

Yes the immune system:

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/he...gut-396277.html

that is all evolution is. for example if you take a speceis that is used to a warm climate and put it in a place with a cold climate, wich members of the speceis are more likely to survive and reproduce? the ones with more body fat and body hair because they can withstand the temperatures better, so the next generation will more likely be made up of children who are descended from these fatter harier adults. and so on and so forth

You can see the affects of evolution in certain populations. For example, the Eskimo people are more stocky than most other populations. This is because of the hundreds of years of living in a cold environment. The extra mass in tissue allows them to retain their body heat better than others.

Shut up all of you... Religion is Religion. Everyone has their beliefs. Even those without religion have beliefs. Now, how about we all agree to disagree and GET BACK ON TOPIC!!! I personally find the subject of everyone's trips through time far more interesting than an argument about which is belief system is better...

This thread was hijacked :P I don't like your tone either. And don't tell us to shut up. I could suspend you for telling me to shut up you know that right?

Yea, it's in the OFF-TOPIC section so you can expect some threads to go :offtopic::P

Edited by Joe Statler

"The US scientists found that the appendix acted as a "good safe house" for bacteria essential for healthy digestion, in effect re-booting the digestive system after the host has contracted diseases such as amoebic dysentery or cholera, which kill off helpful germs and purge the gut.

This function has been made obsolete by modern, industrialised society; populations are now so dense that people pick up essential bacteria from each other, allowing gut organisms to regrow without help from the appendix, the researchers said."

the appendix is no longer useful, hence how we survive when theyr removed. dk you seriously need to start reading the WHOLE article before you post a link hahaha.

and emo, just to reitterate my point. evolution isnt somthing you "beleive" in it is scientific fact, saying you dont beleive in it is like saying you dont beleive in the pythagoras theorum or the pereodic table of the elements, you can say what you like but theyr still real and they work

All of those who argue that we're going off-topic, I'm again mentioning Rules 25 and 26 of the Internet. :P True that beliefs are beliefs...which is exactly the reason why we're having these arguments in the first place.

there is NO WAY that ancient humans had the technology or the know how to figure it out.

How can you really tell? A god is a god. If you think about it, God would be the one who will let us know that he/she/it exists, not us humans, either in a direct way or an indirect way (the latter leading to Nostradamus-like descriptions that many of us today may describe as being ridiculous because of how they described it, like how a 16th century clairvoyant would describe a masked pilot flying a World War battle plane as a "flying pig with solid wings"). This is the universe, after all, so the possibilities are endless. :P

Actually, they just discovered the use of the appendix. I believe the use had something to do with the immune system.

Even the ancient appendix had the same function, only that the modern appendix's role is no longer as important as the ancient one's. The appendix just aids the immune system. It doesn't have any very important role in our body that removing it, which is the case of those who have appendicitis, would make us weak. We'll still be able to live normally with a well-functioning immune system without it.

First I would go to 07/15/2001 and teach the younger me how to talk to girls.

lmao, never thought of that :lol: (the teaching my younger me part, not the girls part; knowing that I started having a huge interest in time travel since 13, I don't see why I can't teach my younger self)

This also somehow reminds me of the 2nd latest episode of Heroes, where Future Hiro convinced the Past Hiro to do exactly what he did or what the Past Hiro is suppose to do, while at the same time saving Charlie, something Future Hiro failed to do.

Even the ancient appendix had the same function, only that the modern appendix's role is no longer as important as the ancient one's. The appendix just aids the immune system. It doesn't have any very important role in our body that removing it, which is the case of those who have appendicitis, would make us weak. We'll still be able to live normally with a well-functioning immune system without it.

Gallbladders can be taken out as well without any major repercussions. My mother and father both had theirs taken out. Only thing is that now they get constipated a lot because of the lack of concentrated bile (the substance that helps break down food for digestion) in the intestines.

Edited by Joe Statler

Organs that can be removed without major repercussions are considered non-vital organs, but that doesn't mean they are also considered vestigial organs. They still have important roles in the body.

Our liver serves as the one that makes bile, while the gallbladder serves as a storage and the "distributor" of it, therefore the gallbladder still serves an important purpose.

There goes my breakfast.

Only thing is that now they get constipated a lot because of the lack of concentrated bile

haha, oh wow

You ever hear, "theroy," and "fact"? Theroy is a thought that isn't yet proven, but can or cannot be correct. Fact is the knowledge that something happens (or happened). THEROY- evolution. (which has been proven wrong) FACT- Creation. The FACT that a Divine created that which is here (organics) and did it in no more than 6 Days. Look around: 40 years ago, Creation was FACT, now it's a myth? You really want to believe a lie, don't you? If I say, "Here's a poisoned candy bar," would you eat it? No, at least, if you had common sence or willpower. I may not understand all of this crap that is here (evolutionism), but I still have my rights to the Bible! I'm only saying what is true; you idiots can believe in whatever you want, but look at the evolutionary theroy CLOSELY, and you'll see that it's no more that a bunch of crap. Put togather by idiots; idiots without the God, who is, in fact, Christ. All I'm saying is: If evolution was in any way true (which it isn't at all), I'd totally believe. I'd also belive that acid was somthing that you could put on whatever, and it wouldn't eat right through it. But that's NOT the case. The cast is this: You want to believe in a 150 year old theroy, and I MUST believe in a 6,000 to 8,000 year old FACT. You do the math, then you argue with me AFTER you did your Homework.

You are just living in your own world and don't want to believe proven facts just because you don't want to admit that there might be wrong facts in Bible. And stop flaming others, you just called half the world idiots, I'm sure God wouldn't like it.. Stop being so ignorant, it looks like you are living with your head sticked deep deep in sand to avoid those facts that can prove that God doesn't exist or smthn

Edited by RG

as angelo explained on the spillover ages ago he mentioned something about that creation part of the bible i cant remember what it is i will see if i can find it.

Probably this:

SPOILER:
Genesis 1

The Beginning

1 In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth.

2 Now the earth was [a] formless and empty, darkness was over the surface of the deep, and the Spirit of God was hovering over the waters.

3 And God said, "Let there be light," and there was light. 4 God saw that the light was good, and He separated the light from the darkness. 5 God called the light "day," and the darkness he called "night." And there was evening, and there was morning—the first day.

6 And God said, "Let there be an expanse between the waters to separate water from water." 7 So God made the expanse and separated the water under the expanse from the water above it. And it was so. 8 God called the expanse "sky." And there was evening, and there was morning—the second day.

9 And God said, "Let the water under the sky be gathered to one place, and let dry ground appear." And it was so. 10 God called the dry ground "land," and the gathered waters he called "seas." And God saw that it was good.

11 Then God said, "Let the land produce vegetation: seed-bearing plants and trees on the land that bear fruit with seed in it, according to their various kinds." And it was so. 12 The land produced vegetation: plants bearing seed according to their kinds and trees bearing fruit with seed in it according to their kinds. And God saw that it was good. 13 And there was evening, and there was morning—the third day.

14 And God said, "Let there be lights in the expanse of the sky to separate the day from the night, and let them serve as signs to mark seasons and days and years, 15 and let them be lights in the expanse of the sky to give light on the earth." And it was so. 16 God made two great lights—the greater light to govern the day and the lesser light to govern the night. He also made the stars. 17 God set them in the expanse of the sky to give light on the earth, 18 to govern the day and the night, and to separate light from darkness. And God saw that it was good. 19 And there was evening, and there was morning—the fourth day.

20 And God said, "Let the water teem with living creatures, and let birds fly above the earth across the expanse of the sky." 21 So God created the great creatures of the sea and every living and moving thing with which the water teems, according to their kinds, and every winged bird according to its kind. And God saw that it was good. 22 God blessed them and said, "Be fruitful and increase in number and fill the water in the seas, and let the birds increase on the earth." 23 And there was evening, and there was morning—the fifth day.

24 And God said, "Let the land produce living creatures according to their kinds: livestock, creatures that move along the ground, and wild animals, each according to its kind." And it was so. 25 God made the wild animals according to their kinds, the livestock according to their kinds, and all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. And God saw that it was good.

26 Then God said, "Let us make man in our image, in our likeness, and let them rule over the fish of the sea and the birds of the air, over the livestock, over all the earth, and over all the creatures that move along the ground."

27 So God created man in his own image,

in the image of God he created him;

male and female he created them.

28 God blessed them and said to them, "Be fruitful and increase in number; fill the earth and subdue it. Rule over the fish of the sea and the birds of the air and over every living creature that moves on the ground."

29 Then God said, "I give you every seed-bearing plant on the face of the whole earth and every tree that has fruit with seed in it. They will be yours for food. 30 And to all the beasts of the earth and all the birds of the air and all the creatures that move on the ground—everything that has the breath of life in it—I give every green plant for food." And it was so.

31 God saw all that he had made, and it was very good. And there was evening, and there was morning—the sixth day.

It's in the Book of Genesis. The first part is all about creation.

@John DeLorean: By how you've said all of those stuff in your post, I can tell it's no longer belief or faith in God that keeps you saying that evolution is crap. It is your inability to admit that you are being proven wrong that something we're saying might make you think otherwise about your Christian beliefs (which you'd know won't happen, if you only read one of my previous posts earlier telling that many of us Catholic Christians consider Genesis as metaphorical or symbolical) or your fear of losing (this argument) that allowed you to make that argument, which doesn't really prove anything but this inability or fear.

Also, your posts remind me of the "Why Do People Laugh at Creationists?" series at YouTube:

lmao at Watergun5991's comments. He's been arguing with people over at YouTube ever since, and now he's getting desperate. :lol:

i hate having to throw my hat into the fire but i just have to say this i believe in god but im not in like any religion thing i dont believe in religion but i do god what i think Christianity is is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pd2womkRf-s...PL&index=24.

this is what i think Christianity really is.

Ontopic: i would travel to when i was born and meet my real mom get to know her without letting her know i am her son. then i would travel to when a cure for cancer has been found, come back and get like the nobel peace prize or smthn yea that would rock

the part about creation in the bible that angelo mentioned in the spillover was about how it spread from being an IDEA about how the earth being created into people viewing it as fact, just to note it does not state in the bible that the earth is 6000 years some religious person at some point added up the ages of the people in the bible and it came to 6000, i m sure angelo mentioned about the creation myth that most parts of it are actually very similar to evolution and the big bang and the idea of it happenning in 6 days was much different because at the time when the idea of creation was concived the word day had a different meaning which was age so 6 ages is different so basically an age is a really long period of time.