Destination Time
:
Present Time
:
Last Time Departed
Sign in to follow this  
EarthwormJim

so im getting a new computer

so with my 18th birthday being on monday and me finally being classed as an "adult" better known as "legally allowed to drink" :D. im getting acess to all of my savings, one of the things im foing (seeing as im getting into digital design and animation) is getting a BEAST of a pc for my very own.

here are the specs of my current computer

512 mb ram

500GB hard disk

a reasonably basic plasma moniter, no bells and whistles

pentium 4 2.4 Ghz processor

a 128MB radeon video card of some description

not sure what kind of motherboard and all that jazz but you get the idea

basically its pretty s*** and limits what i can do.

here are the intended specs for my NEW pc :w00tdance:

Lian Li Lancool PC-K7b ATX Mid Tower Case, in black of course. its god a side door and is brushed metal so it not only looks awesome but is gonna be a DREAM to work on

1600Mhz XFX motherboard with a &.1 soundcard

intel core 2 duo 3.16 ghz processor

500gb, 5400rpm, 8192kb cache Hard Drive

Asus DvD writer 16R/20W/8RW CD 40R/48W/32RW

3x1gb 1333 speed ram, im probaly gonna go with 2x2gb though

and heres the beasty, the video card

HIS HD4870 X2 Video Card, Radeon HD 4870 X2, 2048MB with TV an HDTV ports

and also a 23.6" 1920x1080 LCD HD monitor :D

my only concern is the video card costs $1,024 NZD and i was wondering if any of you out there knew one i could get thats 90% as good bbyt %0% the price. my brother assures me such a thing exists but i think hes full of it. id love it if it were true.

overall at the moment the whole thing (including a couple of things i didnt list, keyboard, speakers, mouse etc) is gonna cost me $3,753 NZD, wich i can afford. just. but hopefully if i can find a cheaper and nearly as good video card ill be alright.

any recommendations?

nice, but if i were you, id get the Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4Ghz over the Core 2 Duo 3.16Ghz. theyre about the same price. i compared my Q6600 with GS' E8500 and the Q6600 is twice as fast in multithread applications, while the E8500 is only slightly faster in single thread applications. and these days, especially with Windows 7 around the corner, you'll need a quad core for good performance with newer programs

yeah that was another topic for debate when my brrother and i were going over it, he said getting a quad core processor over a dual core was purely for sock puppet value. whats the price difference? because cost is what im woried about at the moment

yeah that was another topic for debate when my brrother and i were going over it, he said getting a quad core processor over a dual core was purely for sock puppet value. whats the price difference? because cost is what im woried about at the moment

The E8500 and Q6600 price difference, depending on where you get it is only about $20-50 difference (This was a few months ago)

(I would of got the Q6600 but I don't think my mobo could take it)

at umart there is only a $2 price difference. other places the difference might be a bit larger but not much, and it is worth it. my PC will decode a full movie in WMM in less than a second. took my old Pentium 4 like 10 minutes

ill take a look at it i was pretty set on getting a quad core, btw im ordering all my parts here: http://www.ascent.co.nz/?x=2

they send them too us unassembled and we build it (or for another 100 bucks or so they build it if you want) there arent a huge amount of computer parts shops here in Wellington (and any that are are hugely over priced) so were ordering them from thes guys theyr about the bes supplier in the country.

its a couple of £100 price difference for me :(

when windows 7 comes out offically i m going to get the 64 bit edition along with 2 more 2gb sticks of memory totalling it to 8gb which is the max my motherboard can handle

THIRTY SEVEN :o

and kitt keep in mind that its in NZD not AUD

Edited by EarthwormJim

yeah actually its only $50 more than it is here at the place where i shop thats real cheap. unfortunately that shop you posted doesnt seem to have the Q6600

Go for the Q9450 if you can afford it, it has the same FSB and cache as the higher end QX9650 and QX9770 CPU's and you should be easily overclock it to match the speed's of the QX CPU's should you choose to.

sweet. i should be able to afford it, ill take a look at it.

im more concerned about the video card, its the most expensive peice of hardware im geting. any advice there?

so with my 18th birthday being on monday and me finally being classed as an "adult" better known as "legally allowed to drink" :D. im getting acess to all of my savings, one of the things im foing (seeing as im getting into digital design and animation) is getting a BEAST of a pc for my very own.

here are the specs of my current computer

512 mb ram

500GB hard disk

a reasonably basic plasma moniter, no bells and whistles

pentium 4 2.4 Ghz processor

a 128MB radeon video card of some description

not sure what kind of motherboard and all that jazz but you get the idea

basically its pretty s*** and limits what i can do.

here are the intended specs for my NEW pc :w00tdance:

Lian Li Lancool PC-K7b ATX Mid Tower Case, in black of course. its god a side door and is brushed metal so it not only looks awesome but is gonna be a DREAM to work on

1600Mhz XFX motherboard with a &.1 soundcard

intel core 2 duo 3.16 ghz processor

500gb, 5400rpm, 8192kb cache Hard Drive

Asus DvD writer 16R/20W/8RW CD 40R/48W/32RW

3x1gb 1333 speed ram, im probaly gonna go with 2x2gb though

and heres the beasty, the video card

HIS HD4870 X2 Video Card, Radeon HD 4870 X2, 2048MB with TV an HDTV ports

and also a 23.6" 1920x1080 LCD HD monitor :D

my only concern is the video card costs $1,024 NZD and i was wondering if any of you out there knew one i could get thats 90% as good bbyt %0% the price. my brother assures me such a thing exists but i think hes full of it. id love it if it were true.

overall at the moment the whole thing (including a couple of things i didnt list, keyboard, speakers, mouse etc) is gonna cost me $3,753 NZD, wich i can afford. just. but hopefully if i can find a cheaper and nearly as good video card ill be alright.

any recommendations?

Well, if you truly want of a beast of a PC for less than a billion dollars, get a GTX 260 Core 216 SSC by EVGA, and AT LEAST 4GB RAM. The EVGA rivals the 4850X2 for way less cash, and there's not as much advantage of Crossfire as you'd think. Hard Drive should be SATA and AT LEAST 16MB Cache and 7200 RPM. Like the others already said, go Quad. The Q6600 is good, but if you got the dough, go for a 9450, and a good heatsink. That thing can get up to like 4 GHz with a good cooler.

And and Joe Statler, that AGP remark was very offensive to those who are still stuck with 8x AGP and 64MB Onboard VRAM. :P

Edited by raybob95

you can get the Q6600 up to 3.8 on the standard intel fan. get a good cooler and you should be able to surpass 4ghz

you can get the Q6600 up to 3.8 on the standard intel fan. get a good cooler and you should be able to surpass 4ghz

Yeah, the Q6600 is great too, but like I said, if he has the money, get a 4850. 12MB Cache, 45nm Technology, and a 1333FSB will help quite a lot in the long run. But yeah, if he can't get the 9450, definetly get the Q6600.

cause its like $300 more?

hell why not go all the way and get an IBM Roadrunner? :rolleyes:

Guest rave
hell why not go all the way and get an IBM Roadrunner? :rolleyes:

yeah do that :)

who wouldnt want a computer with both 12,960 Cell processors AND 6,480 AMD Opteron Dual Core processors

Sign in to follow this