:
Present Time
:
Last Time Departed
Sign in to follow this  
Neomatrix

I Think GTA Engine Just Goes Nowhere

Right this is just and opinion don't take this as me telling anyone what to do

I think that the Vice City Engine is Just really bad for modding it crashes like all the time

Now we need and Engine Made for Modding..... what about Source SDK!

Just switch the Mod over to Source its literally made for Modding its stable good graphics

and many more

using GTA is just boring it's engine is just way to crap to be Modded

Also it could be downloaded easily and MP servers will be easy to set up!

It's a Better alternitive and something i think we should consider

Edit: Have a Look at this HV map for Gmod !

Edited by Neomatrix

Guest Gameznerd

That's nice. But at my computer Gmod doesn't work :P so. And you would need Half Life 2.

Meaning that Gmod ore Half Life's no option.

Edited by Gameznerd

Quite alot of People have HL2

it cost $18 (£13) so does Vice City I didn't have Vice City when I first saw it

Also if u get Orange Box You get HL2,EP1,EP2,Lost Coast,Portal,TF2

so for $35 (£16) thats really good

Edited by Neomatrix

We started in the GTA engine, and we'll stay here.

The reason why the team chose GTA is probably because it's a sandbox game. If we did move to Source, we'll have to make it so that it's a sandbox game too. Also, we'll have to make it as a third-person game if we still want the 3rd-person gameplay from GTA. It will be a bit/lot harder this way than just using GTA's engine.

C++, the language/code used in Source, is more flexible than "GTA language" (SCM) but it's lengthier and it would take the team years to finish just one public beta version (take Black Mesa: Source as an example). If you guys are already impatient enough to never wait for a year for the next version to be released, what more if we move to the Source engine?

It will also be an entirely different mod if we did move to another engine. Most of the work done will be wasted and we'll have to go back from version 0.2f to 0.1. So I don't think moving to a non-GTA engine would be possible at our current situation, especially that we already have many features implemented in the mod, and the team has already worked so hard and wasted much time to try to make a more stable 0.2f.

At your last statement Angelo, i wouldn't put wasted, as much as Put Alot of Effort into it.....

I was talking to someone i know at schoool while i was perusing the mod's site, and i was showing him all the new stuff .2e had, seeing as he only saw it last year when .2d was out.

He was peeved there was ony one mission.

I said, LOL YOU TRY AND RECODE A GAME THEN COME TALK TO ME. Mission coding takes a long time to LEARN and then IMPLEMENT without the game crashing, i told him. He thought missions could be done in like 2 hours. Try like, 2 weeks, 2 months, in your spare time, maybe.

Slightly off topic, anyone know how long the Ride mission actually took to code, test and implement?

Even if we actually where being payed for this and supplied by a real company, it would still take many months to write multiple missions at the same time. You wonder why games take years to make, even with 40 people working 8-12 hours a day.

I'm talking about games in general. The GTA's are easy to do because they normally reuse a lot of assets and the game engine.

I'm talking about games in general. The GTA's are easy to do because they normally reuse a lot of assets and the game engine.

Both GTA games, including GTA3, have the same engine (RenderWare). GTA SA's is more like an improved version of VC's and GTA3's engine.

At your last statement Angelo, i wouldn't put wasted, as much as Put Alot of Effort into it.....

I said wasted because most of the work we've put on the mod with the GTA engine, such as code and the vehicles (their creators may not permit us to move them to the Source engine), can't be (mostly or entirely) moved to the Source engine, so we'll have to rewrite/redo them from scratch or if not redo just most of it to make them work in the engine. Making the missions in the Source SDK and in C++ is longer to do than in GTA -- there are more lines of codes and more testings to do before a single mission can be considered done, and when we are now working on the next mission requiring to edit the code of the previous mission is likely.

Tell your friend that the mod is still an early public beta. Versions like 0.2d, 0.2e, and 0.2f is considered a lower or earlier public beta version (obviously; you can tell that by the number). It would be considerable that missions should be added if we're now around versions 0.4 and up. The mod having mostly features and fewer missions is the reason why Del never considered raising that number in the first place, and only considered raising it if the maps are finished, the most important part of the mod and the very base of all missions. If we make the missions now, like many said earlier, we'll have to rewrite them after the map/s is/are done.

the IV's engine is quite considerably well for modding, although not for MP, mods in MP just crash the game, HL2 will obviously beat GTA's engine because it's not as heavily modified, GTA's engine is very modified and it can't handle to much, although R*'s new made engine RAGE is there own and it's not someone elses, the previous' GTA's engine was "Renderware" which was used in most PS2 games, and that engine was not, RAGE is R*'s OWN engine, not someone elses. So they can customize there engine to there capabilites, there's no limits, but with different engines there are, because I asume you'd have to have permission ripping out the code from Renderwares engine and then putting into some other engine.

It's illegal, do I know to much?

ooh Back to the Future:Source

That would be good engine to choose.

I don't think so... GTA handles vehicles a lot better than Source SDK :P

You're dead wrong

That actually DEPENDS. (and I thought Mini-Me is an experienced coder, unless he hasn't tackled the Source engine coding before)

Source is mostly open-source. You can make AI smarter or dumber. You can make gravity weaker or stronger. Or you can generate. It all depends on code.

I never seen a third-person game using the Source engine, but I think it is possible. But the sandbox feature is one of many stuff we should be worrying about the most when moving to Source. We have to make our own AI for the peds, as well as be able to randomly spawn them properly in the right places. Making a sandbox game/mod like this would be a CODING NIGHTMARE. Yes, we can put a lot of effort in it, but with stuff we have to worry about more than the mod, and coders like Blue are the people who's out or busy the most, what more if we move to an engine that requires MORE effort?

We CAN however find a willing C++ coder who likes to mod for games like Half-Life 2, but for mods like this it is hard to find one -- he/she has to be both a BTTF fan and a hobbyist in coding to be able to dedicate himself to the BTTF mod.

Yeah sandbox would be hard.And HL2 has one mod where you racing by cars so cars aren't the problem

GTA has one serious problem.It doesn't have own SDK so it's very bad for modding

Edited by Nokiaman

Sign in to follow this