:
Present Time
:
Last Time Departed
Sign in to follow this  
Brandonlai

New Graphics Card can't decide!

Hi guys ,

Well the topic says it all I've been saving up recently for a graphics card and I'm not sure if I should get a Graphics card with 1gb or 512mb . I've looked on some places and it seems to be that not all if I chose the 1gb gpu would be used, Having looked at some graphics cards round about £35-40. I found one from ATI called XFX HD 5450 512MB DDR2 VGA DVI HDMI Out PCI-E Graphics Card. But not sure if it would boost performance in games like FSX, GTA IV and other high intensive games.

my current Specs are

Intel® Pentium® Processor E2220 (1M Cache, 2.40 GHz, 800 MHz FSB)@ 2.70ghz

2gb Quidmond Ram

MSI P6NGM-L Motherboard

500gb Segate 7500rpm Hard Drive

512mb Powercolour HD3650

Would love to know your opinion,about my system using that graphics card or something that will at least give me gains of framerates in gta and fsx. thanks!

It probably won't boost you any in fsx. FSX is more cpu intensive than gpu intensive, and its you're pentium thats the bottleneck in your system.

For GTA4, benchmarks show you'll get 7fps @ 1280x1024, 1xAA, 16xAF, but they are using a Core i7.

http://www.pcgameshardware.com/&menu=b...p;show=original

to clarify, look at everything, and not just a single aspect. Just because a card has gddr5 does not mean its better than a gddr3 after all.

my new laptop has ATI mobility radeon HD 4500 series and it has 512mb graphics. None of my games on it lag even on maximum settings so if i were you 512mb is enough

and all ATI's are good

Edited by backtothedelorean

not really. ATI makes cards in three flavors. budget, mainstream, and high end. Low end ATI cards are not suited for playing games like Crysis, GTA4, or FSX. 5450's are considered a budget card.

no, because for what he's asking, the 5450 is not adequate enough if he wants to play GTA4, it only gets 7 fps, even with 512mb of vram. The issue hear is not how much vram he has, but the stream cores, core frequencies, etc.

I bought an Nvidia 9600 GT 1Gb and 4 Gb of Corsair RAM and now my PC is ten times faster plus it only cost me £160 :P

Thanks guys! really appriciate your opinion. Just wonder if I upgrade my CPU to lets say a E5400 2.7ghz with 2mb cache and 3gb ram at 800mhz would I see a big difference from my current specs now. As when playing GTA 4 practically with all specs highish but a lot of settings at low it runs probably 8-10 frames. Also my current Ram is currently 2gb at 667mhz and graphics ram is gddr2 and it h as 80 cores, although for some strange reason looking at the Graphics card box it claims to have GDDR3 ram.

ATI Radeon 4850 - 512MB of VRAM, how much would that do, with Core i5/i7?

Hi guys ,

Well the topic says it all I've been saving up recently for a graphics card and I'm not sure if I should get a Graphics card with 1gb or 512mb . I've looked on some places and it seems to be that not all if I chose the 1gb gpu would be used, Having looked at some graphics cards round about £35-40. I found one from ATI called XFX HD 5450 512MB DDR2 VGA DVI HDMI Out PCI-E Graphics Card. But not sure if it would boost performance in games like FSX, GTA IV and other high intensive games.

my current Specs are

Intel® Pentium® Processor E2220 (1M Cache, 2.40 GHz, 800 MHz FSB)@ 2.70ghz

2gb Quidmond Ram

MSI P6NGM-L Motherboard

500gb Segate 7500rpm Hard Drive

512mb Powercolour HD3650

Would love to know your opinion,about my system using that graphics card or something that will at least give me gains of framerates in gta and fsx. thanks!

What kind of Monitor do you have?

monitor doesnt matter lolz ,btw go for the reccomended g-card for fsx thts what i did and it works great

Edited by Ashley+

more cpu intensive than gpu intensive

Like Prototype (PC version). I always wondered if my weakling Acer mini-PC's Core 2 Duo is better than my hell better laptop's Pentium D.

monitor doesnt matter lolz

Kind of does. If you try using an HD monitor with a weakling GPU, you'll get poor performance. Try using an old monitor with a next-gen GPU, and it would boost the performance by about 5%, more or less. Seriously.

If you want to be safe then just buy the Nvidia GeForce GTX 295.

I did benchmark my PNY 9800GT 512MB video card on a 1080p monitor using Unigine Heaven Benchmark v2.0. also I had every thing maxed out, except Anti-Aliasing.

• Render: DX10
  • Avg FPS: 24.9
  • Max FPS: 51.7
  • Min FPS: 14.6
  • Score: 628

Hi guys well I've managed to upgrade to the gtx 260 as I payed half and my parents payed the other half lol for getting 3 A's in GCSE. It runs amazing with fsx and on ultra im getting 20-25frps in fsx and gta4 its smoother but I think oneday I might upgrade my cpu if I can save up enough. ow and Airwolf24 my monitor is a standard dell.

Hi guys well I've managed to upgrade to the gtx 260 as I payed half and my parents payed the other half lol for getting 3 A's in GCSE. It runs amazing with fsx and on ultra im getting 20-25frps in fsx and gta4 its smoother but I think oneday I might upgrade my cpu if I can save up enough. ow and Airwolf24 my monitor is a standard dell.

cool. I have a dell 1704FPT montior

From Nvidia I would only accept GT XXX

From ATI I woul donly accept HD48XX

I'd accept any GPU with Shader Model 4+ support. I don't care if graphics sucks, as long as gameplay is good, and vice versa, as long as it's a game. :P

My Macbook supports the 5th shader. So I don't how much that is of an option.

Sign in to follow this