:
Present Time
:
Last Time Departed
Sign in to follow this  
Mike

eBay DeLoreans

I want! but it'll prob be cheaper to get a reconditioned one direct from DMC :P

One major problem with deloreans with low mileage.... (I would know cause our original 1981 has 20,000 miles on it and I go to college for automotive system technology) is that 99.9 % of the time when a delorean or any car that old sits for 26 years... is that things degrade almost as bad as if you drove it.

Although they may of changed fluids. ( or not )

"The belts, hoses, clamps, wires and just about everything except maybe the oil (but hey, that might be original oil in the crankcase we can't say for sure) are all as installed by those Irish assembly line workers almost three decades ago We did install new spark plugs"

if they say they don't know the oil is changed then it isnt.

that is not good

rubber deteriorates from sitting

the hose may look ok, but its the inside that counts. ( it usually eats away from the inside, then cracks on the outside, then leaks coolant and overheats the engine really bad on an all aluminum engine that will warp easily because aluminum is soft )

in other words... blown head gaskets tend to happen after the engine overheats too much ( and any temperature too high is too much) then loss of compression, the antifreeze seeps past the water jackets into oil in the pan, that will completely destroy the prv v-6 and lock it up tighter than heck (hydrolock).

next on the list is gasoline or petrol, (what ever you call it) turns into a thick varnish over time that clogs injectors, it makes then engine run like "poo" (technical term) :P unused gas starts turning into varnish when setting for a period of a month... then gets worse.. big problem

in other words in a practical sense.. the car is not worth THAT much... BUT could be if all those issues we're adressed before purchase.. which wont happen... I pity the sucker that buys that car (at least for $49,900.00) cause he/she better have even more money and be prepared to make the repairs..

believe me.. I know this from experience.

lol

thats just the pesemistic side of it

but, it may run for a little bit if it cranks at all.

just my two cents.

Edited by chico688

Exactly my thoughts, and to be honest, I'd rather pay 49k for one with a lot more miles on it.

Low milage does not justify that kind of price tag, if anything it should be lower than one that's been driven a lot because of all the work that you are going to have to put into getting it running properly.

thats exactly right ;)

and some one who drives a car more often is more likely to keep it in condition because they use it. my dads old car got to 200,000 miles and got into bad condition though spewing out soot when the engine started, alarm stopped working. the fact is oil is more likely to be changed on a car thats used more often.

read this....

For a few very loyal car owners, however, six years isn't much. Take Irv Gordon, whose 1966 Volvo P1800 made the Guinness Book of Records in 1998 for its incredibly high mileage. Gordon, the car's original owner, has now logged more than 2.6 million miles on trips and in daily driving. In interviews, Gordon attributed his car's extreme longevity to regular maintenance and his use of genuine Volvo parts.

Then there's Wisconsinite Peter Gilbert, who has logged more than a million miles in his 1989 Saab 900 SPG. MSN reports the durable vehicle, now on display in a museum, still features its original engine and turbocharger.

And let's not forget that domestic cars hit the million-mile mark just as often as their foreign competitors. In 2008, Frank Oresnik (coincidentally, another Wisconsinite) was just short of hitting the million-mile mark in his 1991 Chevrolet Silverado truck. Left Lane News reports that the truck has gone though four radiators, three gas tanks, five transmissions and six water pumps, but never a new engine.

lol thats crazy... crazy.. but true

source:

http://autos.aol.com/article/million-mile-cars/

a diesel engine gets in bad condition after around 190,000 miles. our current car had 10,000 miles on the clock when we got it in early 2009 (used 2007) now it has around 40,000 miles on the clock.

well I found that 1981 manual transmission dmc-12 for $11,000 with 58,000 miles on it. It may be cheaper to buy that then fix it up than buy one for $49,000. And anyways if your going to spend that much you might as well save the extra 8,000 so you can get a brand new one ($57,000).

Edited by Joe Statler

I asked in the shoutbox if that was the car you are referring to. It's been in an accident though, so would you want it at that price? I'd spend a bit more myself.

I'm looking for a project car. Do you know how much it'll cost to build all the TM components, I'd really like to know. Plus I'll be living in Houston so whenever I need parts I just make a trip to Humble.

holy crap i only live about 3 hours from there! I mean Ohio, where the Del is being sold:P

Edited by gtabttffan

..offto55 reckon around $60k if I remember correctly - blue keep me honest?

Yeah, because you and Blue are the only ones who frequent Ot55 XD j/k

I THINK I heard ~60,000USD or so, somewhere in that area for a complete Time Machine conversion.

Sign in to follow this