Destination Time
:
Present Time
:
Last Time Departed
Sign in to follow this  
boltzzclan

Stop PIPA/SOPA!

Congress is meeting soon to discuss passing a new bill on copyrights. Link: https://www.google.com/landing/takeaction/

Another Link On Moddb: http://www.moddb.com/news/sopa-and-pipa-our-internet-freedom

The bill states that if any website has any pirated content or illegal copyrights, the entire website will be shutdown, and the owners prosecuted.

Here are a few websites that could easily be closed down:

Youtube

Mediafire

Moddb

Even Minecraft might be stopped because a fan might make a character out of blocks which loosely resembles a movie star.

Maybe even bttfhillvalley.co.uk !!! Hopefully the bill wont get passed but if it does they might come after this site as well as many others.

Congress will vote on January 24, 2012

We have to do something to save the internet!

Edited by boltzzclan

Congress is meeting today to discuss passing a new bill on copyrights.

Nope. SOPA's been shelved until next month. PIPA doesn't get voted on until the 24th.

There is some incorrect information in your post, but it encapsulates the general idea of SOPA and PIPA.

If these do pass, however, we can say goodbye to our freedom as Americans. Of course, this doesn't only affect Americans; American websites will be forced to take down copyrighted content, affecting anyone else visiting those websites.

This is not going to affect websites that are hosting out side of the US?

Maybe even bttfhillvalley.co.uk !!!

Theres no maybe to that they use so much copyright content XD

we use 0.000001% more though so lc will get shut down too

on the plus side justin beiber will go to jail XD

we can say goodbye to our freedom as Americans.
I thought you already did (Patriot Act).. However, I really hope the world police of the united states dont fick up this time again. Otherwise, this kind of things might be able to provoce native americans to do very bad things in anger about the government (terrorists) - Not saying all amis are crazy, the spectrum of characters is probably the same as in most rich countries (crazy people are all over the place), but as bigger the continent, the more people.. - Anyway, anger combined with believing to be on the right side (wich is a good thing) means political trouble or even revolution (in some way).

By the way, I dont believe this act would prevent the economy (companys wich demand on digital products) to loose money. Every media which is meant to be read can be read (whis applies to the internet aswell) - Pirates are mostly poor people, not stupid people.

What has to be changed is not the access to what the internet provides, but the hole advertisement in all media which driectly manipulates our valuation of our needs. This is what makes people becoming pirates and all governments should care about.. Especially in USA. But economy comes first, intellect second (or third, ...).

I'm so excited for the results :P

PS: It might also be possible that this hole thing is just a bluff (police car circling around, showing presence)..

There's no maybe to that they use so much copyright content XD

we use 0.000001% more though so LC will get shut down too

on the plus side Justin Beiber will go to jail XD

The mod uses the theme Back To The Future and has cars modeled after the ones in the movie, and because Back To The Future is copy righted the mod will get shutdown. And before you say "But they give credit to the original makers" or something like that, the bill says that all unofficial copyrighted material will be shutdown and the owner/owners prosecuted.

But this site is out of the USA right??? RIGHT???!!!

Edited by Carlos_McFly

But more then half its views are in the US right? RIGHT?!?!?! Besides they can close down, Bttfhillvalley.com

bttfhillvalley.co.uk and what ever other versions there are. And if the site gets closed down then its closed for The whole earth.

I can't see this will effect all sites, there are rather a lot of sites out there, they can't just shut them all down, they may close sites like wikipedia (and the like) down because they are well known sites, but I think in the main these forums in the run of things are small in comparison likely make up about 0000000.1% of the sites on the web................... I could be wrong mind, but they're going to have their work cut out? Unless they intend to cut the internet off to the entirety of the USA :/

............ But I still say its unlikely

~John~

But a random noob or person that likes bttf finds this site and report it and it gets shut down it could happen

7 million signtures from the pertition, 25 of the 31 people needed to vote on it have withdrawn their support for it.

What this guy sayes:

"Neither of the bills are close to being passed - they need further revision. But it appears that officials are able to use existing tools to go after a business alleged to be inducing piracy," said Gartner's media distribution expert Mike McGuire.

Although the US has just shut down Megauploads, but apperently they were "evil" so its ok :P

Edited by Dave27

People said that Europe coockie law was stupid, well, this is even more stupid then that.

Botlzzclan:

I get what you are saying, there is always the danger of silly people getting bored........ :/

Edited by Bullseye

At least Anonymous went bats**t crazy and DDoSd like 10 sites

Cause it has illegal content, TV movies, series etc.

Illegal content that's sold for money that goes to Megaupload. The s**ttier version of ThePirateBay

But illegal content has been on Megaupload for at least 2 or 3 years and they never did anything about it.

And good news, The vote on the bill has been cancelled, shutdown whatever you want to call it its over for now.

MegaUpload has been hosting illegal files for a long, long time -- and is in fact earning money from it for just as long. As a matter of fact, as I've observed, MegaUpload was pirates' second favorite medium for piracy, behind torrents and Pirate Bay.

They have already been given warnings ever since but they remained to keep their services unchanged to deal with the piracy, the reason I am and can't be sure of. So I don't think this is anything SOPA/PIPA-related.

Then again, I'm not completely sure if the US Department of Justice themselves gave the company a warning first (and a chance to change their services) before shutting it down, something the group Anonymous themselves are greatly concerned about even if the bills weren't passed yet. Going straight for a shutdown would indeed justify Anonymous' concern.

The bills, in the other hand, were just put on hold. In other words, they ain't completely abandoned yet. Which is why a lot of people are still concerned about the now-heavily-despised bills.

But this site is out of the USA right??? RIGHT???!!!

The server of this website is in the USA, though some of the hostnames end on .co.uk.

I hate this country :( the U.S. just had MegaUpload shut down and the CEO and employees arrested.

Do you still want to do a file hoster?

[...] Megaupload. The s**ttier version of ThePirateBay

There's quite some difference between ThePirateBay and Megaupload.

Megaupload hosts the files on their own servers (or servers they rent).

ThePirateBay does not host the actual files you want to download themselves. It hosts torrent files, that contain information about the files and how to obtain them. The actual files are stored on computers of those who initially offered the file and those that already downloaded it (partially). The torrent clients I used so far automatically offer the files you downloaded yourself back to the web by default.

In brief, ThePirateBay only "links" to the files, and Megaupload actively offered them.

Sign in to follow this