:
Destination Time
:
Present Time
:
Last Time Departed
skypokemon

Clustering Computers

I was wondering if anyone could tell me about clustering. I have been searching the internet and learning about it, I need to know what some good operating systems and programs would be good to do this. I want to use it so I dont have to buy a computer for gaming and stuff, and just use a few computers. I just want to use it for normal things, like playing games and stuff like that.

What? I need some help here. And I would bet that this site has a Cluster for its servers, if not a really fast computer. Most big websites do.

.... Euhm, are you even realising what you are asking?????

You want to use multiple computers to get 1 good gaming pc. This means: Buying a lot of computers to get just 1 pc which is really, really expensive.

You then better spare your money and buy 1 good gaming pc.

I have some old computers just lying around and I wanna make good use of them, plus if you cluster them toghether wont it work like one big computer? And what is it useful for?

Your going to do this just for the hell of it? You realize you want to do this, yet your asking us what it can be useful for.

Yeah, I have had them for a while and I dont use them anymore so I decided to cluster them to make a fast computer, so I could play more demanding games. But it seems that isnt possible so I am asking what I can do with a computer cluster.

It is mostly used with Server, you have for example 20 servers, and each one carries a roll, in a Microsoft Windows Active Directory you can have a server that handles all the users logins, an other one for handeling shared files, then an other one for print server. If you have exchange, you can split Mailbox Role, Client Acces Role etc also over diferent machines. There for they use cluster computers.

@skypokemon if you want better PC performance,

SPOILER:
Go into your Windows folder and Delete the folder called System32. Your PC will ZOOM with speed. ;)

Plus, you wouldn't be increasing you PC's speeds in anyway. You can't connect random cpu's together, from different motherboards. You'd have to either get a i7 quad core, or a special mobo that allows multiple cpu's installed. Both options you can't afford. And you would need two of the same graphics cards that support joining. Which requires more power. More power = more money needed. Connecting two types of s**t, only gives you more s**t...

Ok, so clustering wont work. So how can I make a really fast computer. The fastest computer that can be made with new parts I can buy on the internet. (I am obbseesed with high speed computers) plus I like hard projects.

If you has the money for a proper computer, why ask for this clusterf**k of clustering computers in the first place?

Because I thought that clustering would make one fast computer, and it would be a project to do but since that wont work, I wanna make a really fast computer so I have a cool computer and a project.

Use Google? Then you also would have found it that it isn't possible to do it.

If you read my post you would see I have been searching the Internet with google bing and yahoo and have found nothing.

First hit: Wikipedia, second hit, a website to explain how to create 1 network, third hit: How to Use Parallel and Clustering.

Clustering computers is mostly useful in Render Farms. Pixar most likely rendered movies like Toy Story in this fashion. just makes getting large amounts of work done fairly quickly by having each individual computer do a part of the task you want. However, as for video gaming, you're still s**t out of luck as each computer has to still meet the requirements to run the game.

Knight------> You dont listen do you?

DK-----> Clustering computers combines their prossecing power, which means that it would process data faster and play games smoother right? The more processing power the faster your computer should be.

Edited by skypokemon

You want a fast computer?

get a motherboard that can support 24 GBs of ram..

BUY 24GBs of high endurance ram

get an intel i7 processor... AS many GHZ as you can find

get an uber expensive yet useful cooling system for said CPU

get the latest Video Card from either ATI or NVIDIA

get several terabyte hard drives

get a power supply worth 1000 watts..

get a full-size comptuer case that doesn't look like s**t

$1,000 later and VIOLA!!! There you go!

You can't play a game that requires a video card with support for Pixel Shader 4.0 on a bunch of computers with Video Cards that only support pixel shader 2.0

get a motherboard that can support 24 GBs of ram..

BUY 24GBs of high endurance ram

or 64....

get an intel i7 processor... AS many GHZ as you can find

or a hexacore /higher

get an uber expensive yet useful cooling system for said CPU

get a full-size comptuer case that doesn't look like s**t

Fish tank +mineral oil and aquarium decor.

get the latest Video Card from either ATI or NVIDIA

Tesla C110

get a power supply worth 1000 watts..

or higher