Destination Time
:
Present Time
:
Last Time Departed
Sign in to follow this  
The Black Swordsman

Final time traveling models

I just thought I'd bring this up because I'm a bit curious.

Okay, pretend the modification is done, completely. 1885, 55, 1985, 2015 all of them are modeled and change, all of that with time traveling.

Here's my question, say you go back to 0012, will everything still look like 1885, or will it be just completely barren? My question was, how far are you going to go with Hilly Valley? Like, if I go to 9999, will it still be like 2015?

Just wondering how far these models will progress theoretically.

I thought before 1870, it was just going to be an empty land with lots of trees?

After 2015 should stay the same. I'd go against an apocalyptic future, especially when the movie was made for a more optimistic future.

That's what I was thinking. Can't you guys just do one step below 1885 though? Surely just a barren landscape wouldn't be too hard to do, and it would be fun to explore such a time. (At least to me).

Edit: Dangit, Blue beat me.

Edited by The Black Swordsman

probably the latter. It would require extra coding space to remove the 1885 square with barren land when it's already sitting on barren land. although it would be simple......

So DK, I guess it all depends on how much coding space you have left over when the mod is 99% done, huh.

Edited by Joe Statler

BS. Coding space should not matter if you use unused mission slots for some of the code. I doubt you'll come up with 120 missions. Even so, you don't have to follow the GTA formula and combine stuff what GTA thinks would be 2 or missions together.

Like:

Mission 0 = load 1955 Hill Valley

Mission 1 = load 1985 Hill Valley

oh, well you're the expert :P I meant it would take extra space, never said it would be a lot. it's only like let's see...... 15 lines of code.

Unfortunately, everyone else thinks you're implying that it would take a lot since you never specified, because we all know the dreaded "oh, that takes coding space" routine that I started.

No, coding space will not be an issue unless there are huge new features, though I don't know what else they can squeeze in thats canon.

P.S. Actually, its just 4 lines including a label.

well 1 for each building and then 1 for each land piece replacing that building. What do you consider a "line" of code?

4/15 of your definition.

And assuming by 1 for each building meaning its the same as the 1885 stuff you already have, then yes. Pre-Hill Valley is a separate era like 1885, 1955, 1985, and 2015. Makes more sense then having Hill Valley be existing before the 1800s.

So it depends on what the team wants. They can say, oh it takes too much coding space and still have it before then, or they can add a Pre-Hill Valley era to make it make more sense. Depends on how anal DK is about coding space <<

nah I'm not THAT anal. I forgot to factor in the fact 1885 already existed in the code :P It's Mike usually worried about coding space. I usually mention it cause I KNOW he would say something along these lines.

I read somewhere that the mod might be moved to cleo in much, much future versions, when it matures cleo, so why are we worrying, unless I'm wrong :unsure:

Thats why i said they want to wait for it to mature

Would it be possible to make all the 1885 builds be loading models and just load in when you go to years 1870+.

I understood archer this way:

Load the map, only have the desert in place (written in the *.ipl files). Then load/replace the currently required models (1985 Hill Valley) by code.

But our plan is:

Load the map, have 1985 Hill Valley in place (written in the *.ipl files). Do other replacements when required (time changes) by code. When going pre-1870, replace a lot models with empty placeholders or parts of the desert.

nope we will have 1955 in the IPLs and have everything else done by code. Thanks to Blue, even though we have 1955 in the IPLs if you start the game in another time period like 1985 or 2015, those models will load instead :P

Why 1955 then? The movie after all starts in 1985, so having that in the IPLs makes most sense to me.

That's what I thought. But then Blue made it so it wouldn't matter what time period we started in. If we started in 1955 then the IPLs are loaded. if we started in 1985 than the IPLs load but then the models would immediately change to 1985. Same if we started in 2015 or 1885. So he took a lot of work off my back doing that and I thank him :) All this is done before the game even starts so we wouldn't see the change.

What about porting the map system for the mod to cleo?

Sign in to follow this