Destination Time
:
Present Time
:
Last Time Departed
Sign in to follow this  
Dragon King

Computer technician topic

I've tried downloading an older version (from download.com), but when I do it just installs the new version.

I want to make my old PC into a media server, there are two major problems though:

1) I killed its screen.

2) The machine has a VERY loud, and I mean VERY VERY loud fan.

So if it stays powered all the time - it is gonna be a nerve death for me, so I need advices on this one.

I want to make my old PC into a media server, there are two major problems though:

1) I killed its screen.

2) The machine has a VERY loud, and I mean VERY VERY loud fan.

So if it stays powered all the time - it is gonna be a nerve death for me, so I need advices on this one.

The bearings in the fan are likely very old and worn, replace it with a new one. (You can find them on Newegg)

Buy a new monitor.

EDIT: Lol, why is my post count 34?????? I had like 200 when I was last here.

Edited by raybob95

My current computer is in great condition, once I build my HAL-9000 I'm going to convert it into a full server (websites, downloads, etc...). It will also be what iProton wants, media server. I'm haven't decided whether I'm going to run Linux or Ubuntu on it.

What I want exactly is for it to be compact, not too small, overheat-free (it's a must-be) and noisyless.

And Ray, I bought it like that. The f***ing fan gave me a headache for a year, until I switched to Mac.

BUMPSIES

OK, here is the deal. I need to turn my old PC into a mass storage device, lets see exhibit "A".

40736.jpg

There are a few problems:

1) No monitor, which is fixable, I only need an adapter to hook it up to my PS2 Slim's LCD.

2) The fan is noisy like a WWII bomber plane, I mean it goes like "VOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!!!", the only stuff that's missing is "RATATATA, KABOOM!!!" backgrounds noises and rattles of the casing.

3) It's ENOURMOUS, so I need to compress it. The inners of it take up about 59% of the case, and I wonder whether it is possible to size it to somewhat the case shown on exhibit "B"

miniApfel.jpg

4) The version I bought only has 150GB of HDD space, which is, lets face it, not enough to store downloads, the Windows 7 partition and OS X backup. The cost of a 1 Terrabyte (lets call it Earthbyte, it is more appealing to me) SATA-II HDD is about a hundred dollars here. I have EIGHT hundred dollars on my hands, but I am saving up for a Macbook, anyway, I've gone off-topic... SO ANYWAY! Hundred dollars, right. 500GB costs sixty five dollars, so my question for the fourth section is whether it is better to buy more drives at a higher price, or one drive at a lower price.

4)... wait a minute... 5! I am afraid that it will one day blow up, so this question should probably has had to go to section 2), but I am typing it here: will the smaller case make it explosion-risky? Cause a Prestigio external HDD once blew up with a small clap, but it still had something burnt.

Edited by  iPro

And which OS do you plan to put in it. Linux works with OSX (at least it did when I was in HS, but that was over 5 years ago), since OSX was made from the Linux (Unix) framework.

Edited by Nikaido

Linux is the open source type of Unix, so saying that they are the same is wrong. And Windows works with Mac perfectly, and the other direction likewise. Maybe FreeNAS (Unix).

I'm having trouble editing the registry for vsmon.exe (zonealarm). It's been hogging my cpu so I found a key that you add to "DependOnService's" value data which keeps it from hogging the CPU. Well when I add the line and click ok all I get is an error message that says ERROR WRITING VALUE'S NEW CONTENT.

Edited by Nikaido

lol whatever you do ZoneAlarm would still be the same hogging anti-spyware as before. Changing stuff in the registry and sh*t would cause some of its components or the entire software to not work properly. You'll just have to undo the edit and live with it, or find another anti-spyware software that isn't hogging your PC.

Sign in to follow this