Destination Time
:
Present Time
:
Last Time Departed
Sign in to follow this  
Saiyaman

Conficker

I'd recommend McAfee, Kaspersky, Panda, F-Secure, AVG (Internet Security Suite) or Symantec. These are capable of removing the Conficker virus. Stuff like Avast to be honest are noobs in removing tough viruses like these (note that the virus has variants, therefore the virus is more than 2 viruses in one lying around your PC's drive).

Yea, but I'm not willing to pay money for an antivirus. I know for a fact that HijackThis and SDFix will beable to detect it, so I'm not too worried.

Specific removal tools for the virus are available from Microsoft, BitDefender, Symantec, Sophos, and Kaspersky. For some reason, the anti-viruses of the developers mentioned can't remove the virus alone.

But really I wouldn't recommend using AVG.

I wouldn't recommend AVG in versions below 8.5. For removing Conficker, AVG 8.5 IS recommended (free or payed; either way, as long as it's updated). Anti-viruses like AVG and McAfee, unlike others, are capable of removing Conficker via scan alone. I currently have the f***ing virus in my Virus Vault (I'm using AVG 8.5 Free).

I still think this may be an April Fools joke -- the programmer sends a rip-off of all known powerful viruses combined to one, names it "Conficker", and gives Microsoft and all Windows users a warning that by April 1 all computers under victim of the virus will be controlled by some "Frankencomputer". Having the internet mostly empty and leaving only Mac and Linux users using the net would be one of the best April Fools jokes in history. Considering the number of Windows users, it would be a hit in the Guiness World Records. The problem is that the noobs behind Conficker will still be apprehended because of that $250,000 reward by Microsoft for those who give information about the creators.

I wouldn't recommend AVG in versions below 8.5. For removing Conficker, AVG 8.5 IS recommended (free or payed; either way, as long as it's updated). Anti-viruses like AVG and McAfee, unlike others, are capable of removing Conficker via scan alone. I currently have the f***ing virus in my Virus Vault (I'm using AVG 8.5 Free).

AVG 8.5.285

Should be okay then, if it turns out that I do have something to worry about.

zonealarm

uh, other than, it will also annoy you

I still don't know why people keep on thinking it's all a prank. Making a virus with 3 variants is like developing 0.2e from scratch -- who would waste their time making a 3-variant virus to just make a stupid April Fools joke? Even my dad thinks it's all a prank, mainly the whole activation thing will occur in April 1.

Does this virus also infect pcs in holland?

if so i disable my comp completely [but yeah gotta install VISTA :P] [MCE computer :P]

I think it does infect every pc in the whole world.

What timezone is it going to start in, any ideas? for some ppl its already the 1st April :lol: But its not here for another 2 hours for me :P

What timezone is it going to start in, any ideas? for some ppl its already the 1st April :lol: But its not here for another 2 hours for me :P

I'm not sure, but I have a thought that it's Germany's time zone. "Conficker" is a German portmanteau of "configure" and "ficken" (which is the German counterpart of f***), so I believe the virus is of German origin.

Another bad news for you guys: I just found out that going offline or closing the computer during April 1 WON'T WORK. Open the computer or go online after April 1, or change your computer's set date/time, the virus will still be activated.

Shoot! I've only got 25 mins to transfer all the important stuff to my slave drive :(

I'm Conficker-free. I virus-scanned the PC numerous times with about 4 anti-viruses and haven't seen anything in any of my 4 hard drives.

April 1 will just be the START. After April 1, the virus will be like the rest: set to activate when it enters a computer. So don't feel safe if you've reformatted your PC or do anything of the like to get rid of the virus before April 1, because there's still the risk of getting it again. The only thing you can do to avoid your PC from being infected is to be "internet-smart" -- don't get easily fooled by stuff like group messages in instant messaging software that tells you you'll win an Alienware PC if you go to the link and register or the link will lead you to a site that will help you burn 100 calories everyday (warning for Yahoo! Messenger users). Good thing I ain't that stupid to fall for stuff like these -- but I'm afraid many already did, since I'm beginning to see the same suspicious group messages from 10+ of my friends in Y!M.

well it shouldn't be on any slave drives, only drive it should be on is the one that has the Windows OS.

April 1st here in England. 01:07am to be precise. I have already done a full scan of my PC once with AVG 8.5 and found no sign of Conficker. I am scanning again just to be on the safe side. Then proably in the evening of April 1st after work.

Hopefully, I shouldn't have any problems.

Also, all suspicious messages get deleted before they are opened.

Edited by Billz

So, I haven't found anything with my AVG. Did a scan with Mbam yesterday and nothing either.

So adjusting my time [set to June 23rd, 2010 right now lol] will, like, disable it from activating or something?

Another bad news for you guys: I just found out that going offline or closing the computer during April 1 WON'T WORK. Open the computer or go online after April 1, or change your computer's set date/time, the virus will still be activated.

As already stated, changing date/time has no effect, and turning off your PC all day on the 1st April just delays the inevitable <_<

Sorry, I didn't really understand what he was saying. It's late where I am and I got easily confuddled.

Sign in to follow this