:
Destination Time
:
Present Time
:
Last Time Departed
Sign in to follow this  
raybob

My Computer just died!!! (Explanation please)

OK, here's what happened, my regular use computer that I've been writing on this website all day, has completely died. (I'm on my mother's DELL Latitude Laptop at the moment) I was in the setup of the computer (before Windows boots up) trying to overclock my computer and increase the CPU Voltage. I put the CPU Multiplier from default to 9 (Same Frequency), changed the FSB from 200 to 233 MHz. I also increased the voltage to the AGP Card by +0.1V. I checked my cpu temp and fan speed, the fan was holding steady as usual about 3360 rpm, and the CPU Temp was 39 degrees Celsius (Normally 37). I have an AMD Athlon 64 2800+ and some gigabyte motherboard. I turned the computer on and it made the beeping noise that it usually does at boot up, but held it out, instead of a 1/2 second beep, and the green light on front was flashing. I reset it and it just turned on and did nothing whatsoever, no beepin' noise, no monitor, no nothing. I reset it a few more times and it did the same sustained beep. Then, nothing again.

What the hell happenned???? Did my AGP card get fried? CPU overheat? What?

Also, if the AGP got fried, that's nothing. However, what I am concerned about is my hard drive getting fried.

So, what happened?, How much for a repair? And is the Hard Disk OK?

Thanks, raybob

can you get into bios? Does the hard drive spin? Do you hear it reading?

Can't get into BIOS, don't know about hard drive, but orange light on front doesn't light up... in fact the computer really does nothing whatsoever.....

so nothing on the monitor at all? Any blinking cursor maybe?

Absoutely nothing, monitor doesn't even see any incoming signal, remains in sleep mode

hmm, I can rule out cpu overheat. 39 degrees is really cool. Do you know the name of the motherboard, or what bios it uses?

hmm, I can rule out cpu overheat. 39 degrees is really cool.

What about the AGP? It must be that because I only increased the FSB from 200 to 233, and increased the AGP Voltage by 0.1V, but no idea what the original is.

Also, the norm is 37

The computer's beeping and flashing power light, make me think some type of overvoltage or major hardware problem.

For my computer's specs go to angeloebiz24's cpmputer specs section and look for my original

Edited by raybob

might be, but 0.1V is not that high. Know what bios/motherboard you have?

Motherboard is some Gigabyte model from 2004, and my Setup CD says VIA Chipsets on it...

My Video Card is a 64MB VIA/S3G UniChromeII

ok, so when you turn on, you get one long beep?

Yeah, then when I reset it, nothing at all, then reset it a few more times quickly and the long beep happnens again.

hmm, check this page out

http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Support/Barebon...aspx?FAQID=2128

it doesn't have any for just a single long beep however. I have to go for now, but we'll see about it later.

OK, for any one else reading this, now it's not making an beeping noise at all for some reason.

OK, for any one else reading this, now it's not making an beeping noise at all for some reason.

Now, it's doing the beeping noise again, but I left it on for longer, and it kept making about 3 second beeps with 3 second spacing. According to GIGABYTE, it means the memory is not installed correctly, but that has absolutely nothing to do with what happened, so.....

I probably had this before, Did you ever try unplugging it and leave it like that for a while?

If it doesn't work, its probably something with your voltage or something.

I probably had this before, Did you ever try unplugging it and leave it like that for a while?

If it doesn't work, its probably something with your voltage or something.

I just did, and it ke[t making the beeping noise over 12 times, didn't stop...

I think it may be the power converter, as when the beeping noise happens, the power light turns dim and flashes at about 8Hz.

How long do these last?

I get that problem all the time, I think its motherboard related when it starts working in an unsupported mode.

Your PCI slots may be clashing, how i solve it is to take my PC apart take all the cards out and fans out leave the mem in though ( clean it at the same time as it improves peformance slightly ) then put it all back together and boot it up, see if that helps ;) Worth a shot :P

Thanks guys for your help, works fine now. (Im using it now)

I just reset it like 10 times in 1 second and somehow it managed to boot, but froze as it said it had a CMOS error, so I reset that and the BIOS to the defaults, reset it, reset it again (Windows wouldn't boot), and XP Booted, but the screen was extremely blurry with white lines going across it, computer wouldn't register mouse. I reset AGAIN, and screen + mouse was fine, but my programs wouldn't boot (registry error?), so I did a system restore and scanned the hard drive for errors (found none), then I rebooted it again, and now it works completely normal, no permanent damage as far as I can tell.

I still haven't guessed the problem yet, but no matter, it works...

Thanks guys,

raybob

too bad i was asleep. i had this problem a few times in my overclocking efforts and resetting the CMOS was the first thing i would have suggested XD

Ive done something similar on a cheap pc chips motherboard and an athlon xp. I set the fsb to high and it just wouldnt boot. If a pc wont boot after playing with settings always remove the battery before calling it dead.

too bad i was asleep. i had this problem a few times in my overclocking efforts and resetting the CMOS was the first thing i would have suggested XD

I figured out my overclocking was the problem, but seeing as the computer wouldn't do anything whatsoever, just beep, I couldn't get at the CMOS

Sign in to follow this