:
Present Time
:
Last Time Departed
Sign in to follow this  
Mini-Me

Antivirus Programs

Moin guys,

I just tried an other stripped down version of Microsoft Windows XP, which is called Windows XP Gaming Edition, and am browsing the WWW now without any protection.

Since this is currently my primary OS for Gaming (I hope it gives me some more of my spare RAM) I thought I'd better not install Kaspersky Antivirus here as it is breaking my other OS much. So I come to my question:

What antivirus program can you guys suggest?

EDIT: Oh and not having Kaspersky here installed, browsing with Firefox is aMAZINGLY fast :-O. Like:

*click* -> *blink* "Woaaahhh, already done?"

Edited by Mini-Me

Use eset or avast, they don't use much ram and don't affect browsing so much

i use avast pro , theres also avg free that has gaming mode

Trend Micro Internet Security Pro 2010, and/or Spy Sweeper, they were bought rated number one, there was this virus, that was very bad that was called Virtumonde, the only known software known to get rid of it was Trend Micro, trust its awesome that software, i had Virtu twice, terrible, desktop disappears then bunch of pop up, desktop pops up for two seconds then disappears, uhhhhh! Anyway, your website for this questions is gottabemobile.com/forum, these are for tablet's but can be used for other things, make account, I have one, these guys are geniuses with pc's!

I suggest to post here

http://www.gottabemobile.com/forum/general/

If its the wrong place they will bump it, good luck!

P.S., 2011 Trend I believe wasn't rated good, so go with 2010, but ask the gottabemobile crew anyway

I would recommended Kaspersky Internet Security 2010 as I used Norton and other types before and have found that Noton,mcafee all make windows slow which is bad for playing games. But for Kaspersky it doesn't make your computer slow which is good and you can get a 1 yaer licence in the UK for £14.99 including delivery here is the link . :http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B002BWPWQC/ref=asc_df_B002BWPWQC674318?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&tag=googlecouk06-21&linkCode=asn&creative=7974&creativeASIN=B002BWPWQC

Its pritty good for the price and It does remove viruses effectively before it gets to you, for example I use windows live mail and I get alot of fake Junk mail which asks for my details, the antivirus automatically notifies me that its a virus thus preventing infection

Trend Micro doesn't make my games slow ;)

You would have to go by consumer reports, they test everything right down to the tiniest spec,then give ratings to every little thing,

consumerreports.org

But I believe you need to pay,but its worth it.

If you're aiming for free anti-viruses, Microsoft Security Essentials and avast! are your best choices. Among all free anti-viruses, they are the most effective at detecting and removing viruses and they use the least amount of memory.

But take note though that being online would ALWAYS make any anti-virus, among others, use a lot of your memory and CPU. If anti-viruses like Kaspersky slowing down your web browsing, just disable the browser add-on it installed, that's unless you visit dangerous websites. If you don't use the PC for browsing the web, you don't need the fanciest anti-virus. A free anti-virus software would do.

If I were to choose a gaming OS, it would be Windows 7 Home Basic. Even though it requires more memory than Windows XP, it runs games much better than XP.

Thanks for all your answers, gonna check out some of these programs later.

[...]Kaspersky it doesn't make your computer slow[...]

Well, I notice the opposite side. Kaspersky Security Suite 09 slows my computer down a lot.

If you're aiming for free anti-viruses, Microsoft Security Essentials and avast! are your best choices. Among If I were to choose a gaming OS, it would be Windows 7 Home Basic. Even though it requires more memory than Windows XP, it runs games much better than XP.

But is my computer strong enough for that? It especially only has 1GB RAM (which seemed a lot when I bought it :D). Already now The Sims 3's sounds have hiccups (so the game lags).

Trend Micro uses 256 mb of RAM, is that too much for 1GB? I have 3GB of Ram!

Did you post at the gottabemobile.com/forum/general

These guys are computer genuises, ask them! Maybe I'll ask its up to you, please respond!

You might want to post in the off topic, this website is for Tablet PC's and Slate's! I have the Dell Latitude XT!

Edited by TheCoolest2

But is my computer strong enough for that? It especially only has 1GB RAM (which seemed a lot when I bought it :D). Already now The Sims 3's sounds have hiccups (so the game lags).

Well, yeah, Windows 7 would only be better if you have a RAM higher than that. :P

Oh, I believe there is ;).

@TheCoolest2:

No, I wont post there. And I really am not in a rush to get something installed as I currently don't use that OS much. All I wanted to know is your recommendations ;).

too bad there isnt a stripped version of windows 7 unless there is.

Yes there is, and it's called Windows 7 Starter Edition. It's so stripped to the point that you can't normally change the effing wallpaper. You'll need a hacker software to do it.

The edition closest to Starter is Home Basic. Based from the testing I did before, Home Basic looks like a good deal for gaming. Just make sure (like in all other Windows OS's) you keep it up-to-date.

Or after installing windows 7 you could just go to start and type in msconfig which allows you to turn off windows procesess without the need to modify your disk. By the way Mini I've found on Kaspersky 2010 right now using only round about 14,000k of my ram, ow and by the way is yours a dual core or a single core?

Edited by Brandonlai

Mine's a single core (AMD Athlon 64 3700+, but running a 32bit OS :-S)

But I just decided to remove the XP Gaming edition from my computer

#1: I can't access some data from my main OS and vice versa

#2: I just figured out something about Linux:

I was just corious if "TeamViewer" is a German product and thus opened Wikipedia for that. On there I stumbled over WINE (recursive acronym: "WINE is no emulator") and then decided to check out the database of as running known software (http://appdb.winehq.org/). I was amazed when I figured that even steam plus related games run fine. This now makes me wat to try it out myself (gotta learn more about Linux, preferrably Ubuntu; especially the desktop environments).

So there comes a Linux (again, last time Mythbuntu didn't work as hoped) onto my computer.

Sign in to follow this