Destination Time
:
Present Time
:
Last Time Departed
Sign in to follow this  
iMaster

Why do you need RAID?

So I am looking forward buying a diskless NAS and installing the disks I have into it (750GB, 1,5TB, 160GB and 1TB), but so far all the 4-disk NAS have RAID. I've read about RAID, and I don't like it. Do I really need it? If so, then explain to me in 2 words what do I need it for, please.

I'll explain it the need for it in one word.

Redundancy

Personally, I have raid, and there is absolutely no problem with it.

Doesn't that mean that you need exactly the same disks for it? And that instead of 8TB you get 2?

Not exactly, it all depends on the RAID configuration you want to go with. Certain configurations require identically sized disks. But RAID 0 for example you can use any sized disk (RAID 0 just combines the drives into 1 big drive - usually runs pretty fast too - obviously though, RAID 0 has no redundancy).

As a best practice though, if you are using anything other than RAID 0 then you'll want to look at using identical disks. Hard drives are stupidly cheap these days anyway.

And if I use high quality disks? Like Western Digital, for example, do those have a big chance of failing?

Personally, I have never had any problems with any western digital disks that I have owned.

However, my old NAS has 4x samsung spinpoint drives in it and those have been going strong for over 3 years now.

My main PC has 2x western digital raptor drives (fast as f**k), both of my laptops have WD drives, and the home server I built some months ago also has WD drives. If that tells you something about my confidence in them. :P

So it's safe to use RAID 0 then?

You can use RAID 0 with odd sized disks (i think). Just keep in mind, RAID 0 is not redundant, so your data is not replicated. RAID 0 essentially joins multiple disks together - e.g. you take 2 500gb disks, put them in RAID 0, and you end up with what is presented as one 1gb disk. Make sense?

Raid? whats it do?

Well RAID is when police or burglars break into your place and look for what they came for. It p**ses people off.

On the other hand, I would need separate disks, thank you.

Will buy D-LINK DNS-343 then.

see when i read this topic the first thing i thought of was this

046500016608.jpg

Yeah, I thought about that. Thought nobody's gonna bring that up though.

but its such a useful household tool! no but seriously i hate flyspray. killing the bugs in the first place is completely unnecessary

I hated flyspray. Whenever my mom uses it and I experience an asthma attack, I inhale the f*cking thing. It tastes like sh*t, and the taste stays in my throat for a few days. I'm glad she now rarely uses it. :sick:

Sign in to follow this