(365W PSU)

and Mac Pro

Intel Xeon/Core i9 (6 cores (rumor))

32GB of RAM

4 Disks

And double Nvidia GeForce 220 or double Radeons 48xx

(980W PSU)

My question is this:

Apple states in its report that the Mac Pro runs on a bit more than 200W at peak, and 175W when idle, it is known that it has 300W for the PCI Express slots and has a higher energy usage if it has RAID installed. So why does it need a 980W PSU? Wouldn't 500 or a bit more do? And how will my energy bill be affected by an addition of a Mac Pro with dual 27-inch Dell screens?

I read about a bench test by someone, a stock Mac Pro indeed consumes around 200W.

Also, a lot of computer accessories are powered (or charged) through the USB 2.0 port and with the amount of accessories associated with multimedia manipulation, it becomes necessary for a computer like that to have a more powerful PSU than necessary.

Well, that's the only bullsh*t I can come up with. :P

Edited by Joe Statler

it could also be to give it more life. As PSUs age they start losing power. With a PSU like that, there's plenty of wattage to lose before it needs replacing.

Ah, I see.

OK, more info I dug up - it has an option to have a RAID system installed in it. Since it technically renders it a server, that means the power consumption increases enourmously.

...what does that have to do with anything?

So you're comparing RAID to Dope then?

Fascinating.

Something to do with the xeon, apparently... The CPUs apparently consume a lot of power during bootup and rendering. Hmmmm... Well, lets's wait for the six-core version and see.

Sign in to follow this