:
Destination Time
:
Present Time
:
Last Time Departed
Sign in to follow this  
daangelo29

What if you have the power to manipulate time?

Yet you'd have no memories of it until you pass it as your future self, thus you'd have no reason to do it. Paradox.

Touching one's other self would itself already cause a paradox.

But what if you got a time machine, and then would concentrate that after eg. 1 minute your future self would appear to say you smthn random? Like making the future happen? Then future you goes away somewhere and you can easily travel one minute back in time without making paradoxes.

I am afraid paradoxless time travel is impossible...

you heard the boss guys, time travel can only destroy the universe so hypothetical conversations about what we would do with such an ability are completely inappropriate

:D

time travel can only destroy the universe

So far, ONLY BTTF came up of the idea of temporal paradoxes being able to destroy the universe. For scientists, they never really thought of it for the fact that such an occurrence is ridiculous and impossible. The universe is indestructible as atom is indestructible, so that's the "paradox" of the whole entire destruction of the universe idea. So far, BTTF only shown the grandfather paradox. There are other kinds of temporal paradoxes that work differently from the grandfather paradox, like the predestination paradox and the ontological paradox.

I am afraid paradoxless time travel is impossible...

In the scientific world, "temporal paradoxes" and "time travel" are basically opposites, actually. Prove time travel is possible, then you'll prove temporal paradoxes impossible to happen and thinking you might erase your own existence as basically paranoia. Prove paradox is a possibility, however, and you'll make time travel a thing of fiction. Both things CAN'T go together or be possible at the same time. The rest of my explanation would be the same as above.

Technically there is only one of you, but in all terms of time travel, you can't replace your past self with your current self, so it's a paradox.

Technically, you can, if you really know how. If you guys wanna complain about Prince of Persia-style time travel, I have them covered with the paranormal/scientific stuff I made up or researched for my mod. All just want from this topic is just ideas, but I'm not complaining about having these arguments, as I also get ideas from them. :)

Then you don't have a reason to go back in time in the first place.

There is a "workaround" for this, 'ya know, if you only knew what to do. ;)

for the record, i was taking the p**s.

and DK theres a difference between KNOWING somthing existed (like how we know dinosaurs existed) and WANTING somthing to exist because modern fictional representations fascinate you, and lets be honest dragons are badass and it would be cool if they did exist but im pretty sure theyv always just been fiction or a misinterpretation of somthing else.

i cant prove it though so go on with whatever it is your doing i guess.

If I could actually REWIND time, then heck, people, I'd do all sorts of stuff every day with a Cmd+Z (or most commonly Ctrl+Z).

@EWJ: No one has ever proved dragons existed NOR a myth yet. In fact, the historical accounts of dragons are so vast, as well as odd facts related to them like how the legend of dragons were common in countries that were complete strangers to each other, that it is technically impossible to disprove its existence. It could be true that the dragon is a sort of evolved dinosaur that relies on rocks or some material of the like and its own "hydrogen bladders" to breathe flame and at the same time allow his wings to support his weight to fly, and who survived the dinosaur apocalypse through its 6-limb marine cousin, who eventually went to land during the early human era from the east, and evolved as it goes to the west from hovering snake-like ones people know at China to the well-known near-human-level ones that are part of the European medieval legends (reference from the Discovery Channel show), but we still lack evidence to prove that and other theories.

@DK: I recommend you watch the Discovery Channel show "Dragons: A Fantasy Made Real" if you haven't watched it. Seeing your obsession with dragons, I better warn you about the fictional story shown here that should not be taken as real lol.

(This is part 1)

@iPro: lol. True.

its just the whole biological thing that makes me think there was no way they could have existed.

fire breathing? yes sure there are people who have hypothesised different ways it could work, the fact remains though that no matter what sort of fictional "flame system" a dragon could have you know next to nothing about what they were like while alive (if they existed) because there are no actual remains to study so everything is completely hypothetical.

also the fact that for them to have wings (disregarding the evolutionary process that would GIVE them wings and how there is no common ancestor as there is with every other speceis. were there a common ancestor it would either be a flying reptile of some description or as angelo said somthing with 6 limbs) anyway.. for them to have wigs that allowed them to fly while at the same time supporting the IMMENSE bodyweight (wich would be alot heavier than they look due to the density of their carapace, remember their scales are supposed to be impenitrable wich means incredibly dense wich means incredibly heavy) the wings would have to be at least twice the length of the entire dragon from nose to tail not to mention the width of them.

then you have to consider the muscular system that supports these wings and gives them the strength to actually FLY. the muscles would have to be HUGE and they would have to be in the dragons shoulders, this adds more weight of course wich in turn means the wings would have to be even bigger meaning the muscles would have to be bigger meaning the wings would have to be bigger...

it goes on.

so yeah thats why i think dragons in the "gigantic flying fire breathing lizard" sense never existed. this is all completely inconsequential of course if magic is real.. lol

Edited by EarthwormJim

Have you even tried watching the video (and the remaining parts)? The show itself covers most, if not all, of the stuff you said about dragons (like the fire-breathing thing, the ancestor thing, and the weight problem). Though the whole thing is made up, all of the concepts and ideas themselves came from biologists (who apparently don't have an obsession of dragons, they were basically just interested to make a sort of fictional modern day-setting story about it based on science). It was really creative of them to come up of these stuff. REALLY nice stuff.

Like I've said before, it was already proven (by scientists) that it is COMPLETELY impossible to disprove dragons, so whatever times you say dragons are a myth, a lot of people, even scientists, would disagree (for the case of scientists, they would say you lack evidence to back up your statement). :P

Dragons, of course, have some unrealistic attributes, like those with 4 paws and 2 wings, which is technically impossible, since the Sol3's spinal fauna can only get 4 limbs at max. The fire breathing is plausible, cause Kung-Fu masters used

SPOILER:
a chemical, which ignited upon mixing with sweat, then they just simply gave it a push and the enemy would think they can do a hadouken.
. And if they DID have wings, well, they probably would have enlightened guts, like birds, or would need to inhale some sort of lighter-than-air gas. Of course the stories are based on Dinosaurs, but first dinosaur fossils were discovered in the 19th century, which kind of makes it improbable that that time chinese ran into a T-Rex (yes, the Rexes inhabited the modern Mongolia parts).

Like I've said, the show Dragons: Fantasy Made Real covered all of those stuff -- the wings, the weight, the fire-breathing, everything. Before you guys argue any further, I am again telling you guys to watch the video I posted in the previous page.

The video series isn't the complete one. They took out the cheesy story of Dr. Tanner, and some scientific details. Seeing this is from Animal Planet, I'm guessing the complete one was only premiered on Discovery Channel, the very one I watched (the whole thing was epic and scientifically plausible that I almost fell for it). If you can find the complete one in YouTube, watch that instead.

Dragons, of course, have some unrealistic attributes, like those with 4 paws and 2 wings, which is technically impossible, since the Sol3's spinal fauna can only get 4 limbs at max.

Since this ain't from the incomplete version, I might as well explain it:

SPOILER:
The dragons the humans know about originated and evolved from the "Marine Dragons", semi-aquatic creatures who lived before the time of their terrestrial 4-limb bipedal fire-breathing winged cousins the "Prehistoric Dragons", and had a life very similar to that of a modern crocodile. It is true that there can only be 4 limbs max (I'm not sure what you meant by "Sol3's spinal fauna"), but the extra pair of limbs were acquired via a mutation than a sort of evolutionary phenomenon (which is possible/plausible). The wings themselves were basically vestigial to this creature, which served as "back-up fins", compared to the Prehistoric Dragons, the ones that became extinct due to the K/T event, however these limbs later became the basis of the evolution of the human-era dragons we know in folklore -- the extra pair turned from vestigial to useful wings of flight, like the Prehistoric Dragon, only better.

Discovery Channel's Marine Dragon:

marine_hzoom.jpg

Discovery Channel's Prehistoric Dragon:

prehistoric_hzoom.jpg

If you wanna know the rest, watch the videos.

Extra note: The T-Rex one is real. Scientists are still baffled on how such a burn mark got on that part of the T-Rex.

Ahem. They could have TWO wings and TWO legs, which would still mean 4 limbs. Or the wings would still be atached to the front limbs, but it still would be 4 limbs.

i watched the video and imaster now you have been proved wrong because they found 2 dragon ice fossils.

You do know the whole thing is made up. :lol:

And people thought I was crazy :P

Just arguing with these guys that odds traits of the dragon like its 6 limbs and its ability to fly are plausible. :P

Ahem. They could have TWO wings and TWO legs, which would still mean 4 limbs. Or the wings would still be atached to the front limbs, but it still would be 4 limbs.

DC's Mountain/Forest/Marine Dragon's front legs work independently from the wings. If they were indeed attached, the front legs would move along with the wings, but they don't in the video. Like I said before, it's a genetic mutation (polymelia).

First I would go back to the point I got glasses and tell my past self to take lences straight away. And tell myself to lose some weight fast!

Then I would go and find a good girl and let her fall in love with my past self.

And I will make the live of some people misserable!

Then I would turn myself into a vampire and look for my perfect lover!(ala Vampire Knight Style)

Lol. That from the vampire is just for fun. But the rest I would definitely do :P.

First I would go back to the point I got glasses and tell my past self to take lences straight away. And tell myself to lose some weight fast!

Then I would go and find a good girl and let her fall in love with my past self.

Would it be easier to just "rewind" time and be your past self? Like in Prince of Persia, you'd still be able to retain your present-time memories after rewinding time with this power.

vampires arent real though. theyr just crazy people who think they need to drink blood to survive and think that sunlight will kill them.

thats like me saying i will use time travel to turn myself into a super saiyan. time travel cant just magic stuff that never existed out of thin air. and even if the technology existed in the future to do all of this.. why the hell would you choose vampire over all the other things you could become?

just sayin..

Well... No, I know you're right, but I don't want to be my past self, I was ugly back then. I'm much better like this. If I where like this then, then it would be oright, but other wise. I would love to go back, and warn myself for the reall hurting things that should happen, which for me afcourse already happened.

EDIT: Because there's a different kind of vampires. Who accually walk in the light, and just excist and try to not drink blood(Watch Vampire Knight or Twilight for this and more details)

I choose to be a vampire because for somehow are obsessed with blood. When I was young I was scared of it, but now.... But the idea of killing people is holding me back of it....

Edited by Evil Morning Operator

Sign in to follow this