Destination Time
:
Present Time
:
Last Time Departed
Sign in to follow this  
Mike

Options for future setup files

Since it is a requirement have at least Microsoft .NetFramework 1.1 installed before running the setup file for the mod in order to successfully install the car models, I have devised two options:

The first, and my most preferred option is a simply message box informing the user if they do not have .net installed, and a link to the relevant download site (ignore the version number in the message, I had to trick my main pc into returning an error message)

dotnetcheck.jpg

The installer will not run until .net has been installed.

The second option bundles Microsoft .Net Framework 1.1 into the mod setup file itself, as before, a check will run when the setup file is first opened which will detect if .net is installed, if it is not the user wil be prompted to install it. The installer will not run until .net has been installed.

dotnetcheck1.png

dotnetcheck2.png

dotnetcheck3.png

dotnetcheck4.png

dotnetcheck5.png

The second method however add's a 23MB overhead to the installer, something which most people will not require.

I vote #1. 23mb is dead weight for those with .net

And people can't be that lazy. Just a suggestion. Make the link clickable.

hmmm. Just my input but I've seen some installers do this. you download something like a 23 KB install file and put it in the installer. Then if they don't have the .net installed, you give the option to install it and run that 23KB installer which downloads AND installs the .net thingy. then setup continues after the setup is complete.

It's like a mix between 1 and 2. I had to install directX end-user runtime for my other computer which used a similar method as above.

*EDIT* Just looked at the NSIS scripter thingy I downloaded. And there's a script that allows you to download files. so maybe you can use that. it's called NSISDL.

I myself prefer the first option. Just because most people should already have a more recent version of .NET Framework on their computer. Especially to run the latest version of Live Messenger (MSN).

Edited by Joe Statler

I'm with Blue and Joe. Make the link clickable, and by then people would have a decent version of .NET installed. You may also want to try DK's idea, too.

Especially to run the latest version of Live Messenger (MSN)

Not all of us use WLM or need it as much as you guys. Here in the PH, for instance, Yahoo! Messenger is mostly used and most preferred than WLM. Most would likely ditch WLM for it.

And people can't be that lazy. Just a suggestion. Make the link clickable.

People are naturally lazy :P I will work on making the link clickable, however I'm not sure how to do this yet since the error message text is in a macro which is called by NSIS

!include DotNetSearch.nsi

hmmm. Just my input but I've seen some installers do this. you download something like a 23 KB install file and put it in the installer. Then if they don't have the .net installed, you give the option to install it and run that 23KB installer which downloads AND installs the .net thingy. then setup continues after the setup is complete.

It's like a mix between 1 and 2. I had to install directX end-user runtime for my other computer which used a similar method as above.

*EDIT* Just looked at the NSIS scripter thingy I downloaded. And there's a script that allows you to download files. so maybe you can use that. it's called NSISDL.

That is entirely possible I guess. However, what if the user is installing it on a PC which does not have access to the internet? You also have to remember that not everyone will want to install the English version of .net which would pose a problem using the NSISDL method you suggested as this would only link to one file.

I'm all for option 1 myself.

Especially to run the latest version of Live Messenger (MSN).

I just switched over to aMSN a few weeks ago since my version of MSN messenger (v7) stopped working, and I can't be arsed downloading that bulky Windows Live package just to get messenger, plus I don't like how the new version is laid out.

If they don't have access to the internet then how the hell would they:

1. Click the link to download it

2. Get the installer in the first place?

They could download it from another machine and then copy it via USB stick or something like that, and the link in the error message would obviously be for people who have an internet connection, if they don't, then they will just have to write the link down and/or just use google when they get to a machine that has access to the internet.

...Which is my friend's case. A friend of mine doesn't have access to the internet, so he either gets the latest version of the mod released from me or in a computer cafe. And since I just told him about this SA version of the mod, and he's asking for it once 0.1.3.2 is released, I'll also need .NET included. Same can be said to 3 of my classmates and 2 of my other friends.

I think we should go for an installer with .NET included.

That's an about face from what you posted earlier isn't it?

I'm with Blue and Joe. Make the link clickable, and by then people would have a decent version of .NET installed. You may also want to try DK's idea, too.

Fact is will just bloat the installer to include it.

Thanks for quoting

The difference between directx and .NET 1.1 is that directx has two installers, web and full. .NET 1.1 only has the full installer. However, .NET 3.5 has both the web and full installers. The reason being is that 1.1 was developed before web installs were available, while dx and 3.5 are more recent.

NSISDL i guess can do it, but dunno much about it.

I'm still with option 1. I'm against having .NET bundled, especially if what Angelo says that vista and 7 already have it, and more and more people would be using them these days.

and if .net is required for MSN many people will already have it for XP also.

Option 1 it is, we can't babysit people every step of the way, even having an auto installer should be considered a luxury.

just add a .NET required thing on the download page and in the readme.

I was planning on doing re-releasing the SA mod download with the .net check built in, and also have a .net required in big bold text on the download page, not required in the readme, since the installer won't start without a minimum of .net 1.1 installed.

I'm with Blue and Joe.

Me too! Either do a question ".net isn't installed, download it?" and use NSISDL or only the pseudo-link ;).

Make the link clickable,

could be a little hard I gues...

Not all of us use WLM or need it as much as you guys. Here in the PH, for instance, Yahoo! Messenger is mostly used and most preferred than WLM. Most would likely ditch WLM for it.

Over here it are ICQ (which is something that developed from AOL-IM as far as I know) and Skype.

ok, even if he can't make it clickable.......theres a thing called the keyboard with either copy/paste...or just typing.

I haven't touched WLM in a few years.

AIM, That was its acronym :D.

theres a thing called the keyboard with either copy/paste...or just typing.

Only the last one works, selecting the text in the textbox isn't possible.

Sign in to follow this