:
Last Time Departed
Sign in to follow this  
Mike

Portable Apps

This is brilliant!

http://portableapps.com/

Convenient

Now you can carry your favorite computer programs along with all of your bookmarks, settings, email and more with you. Use them on any Windows computer. All without leaving any personal data behind.

Open

PortableApps.com provides a truly open platform that works with any hardware you like (USB flash drive, iPod, portable hard drive, etc). The entire platform is open source built around an open format that any hardware or software provider can use.

Free

The PortableApps.com Suite and Platform is free. It contains no spyware. There are no advertisements. It isn't a limited or trial version. There is no additional hardware or software to buy. You don't even have to give out your email address. It's 100% free to use, free to copy and free to share.

Well you could of at least posted some discription. ;)

He did? :mellow:

It still doesn't tell me anything!

I don't see how sticking all that on a pen drive is going to help!? :mellow:

If you work in IT, and/or move around to different PC's a lot, then it is very, very useful.

Plus to a lot of people this part may appeal.

All without leaving any personal data behind.

You can carry all your programs with you in a memory stick, without installing them in other computers, that's how I get it

Well its pretty useless to me considering all the comps I use all have those apps already on them, if you could stick your own apps on it, then it might be of some use.

And also if you could say, stick it on a portable divice like an mp4 player and be able to use apps like word on the divice while on the go, then it may also be useful, but I guess thats out of the question too!

So its pretty uesless! <_<

Nothing new to me. Linux has been doing this for years.

Have they? Keep in mind, the majority of people use Windows.

Though interestingly they have a portable version MAC OS (Mac on a stick), and a Linux OS is coming soon.

And also if you could say, stick it on a portable divice like an mp4 player and be able to use apps like word on the divice while on the go, then it may also be useful, but I guess thats out of the question too!

Works with the iPod/iPhone if that does anything for ya.

Its only useful if you're like in the tech field repairing computers, or if you want some apps at work that you're not allowed to have

or if you want some apps at work that you're not allowed to have

and that there is the reason it is brilliant, in my opinion :P

lol, just because its useless to you doesn't mean its useless to others orgcon :P

Like a top of the line guitar pick might be useful to you, but uesless to me :P

lol, just because its useless to you doesn't mean its useless to others orgcon :P

And how is that useful to me, I very rarly play guitar :lol:

And I play bass with my fingers :P

Haha, :lol: It's not useless to me though :P

I know what you mean though.

I still think it's cool that you can run the apps without installing them.

Remember that VLC offers their program in a .rar file, so you can just extract it to your Jump Drive and carry the application with you. Same goes for Mplayer Classic.

Its only useful if you're like in the tech field repairing computers, or if you want some apps at work that you're not allowed to have

Wrong, I use it every day.

The most useful features are that I carry all the settings with me, and that running the programs nearly leaves no trace.

This way I can have all my addons (and believe me I have many) with my Firefox as well as my bookmarks.

Also I have to give presentations in school sometimes and the crappy laptops in school sometimes are missing programs, that's why I started making the presentations using OpenOffice and running that from my stick when presenting.

Similar case is that if I need to view a movie some laptops don't have all the required codecs installed, that's why I'm using VLC portable.

Also I got quite used to Notepad++, its great syntax highlighting feature for many languages, it giving the possibility to collapse tags (e.g. in HTML), its bulk replacement tool supporting regular expressions (ask Mike, I've already done some useful bigger replacements with that ;)), its TextFX tool to exchange signs or (un)escape quotes and many other stuff.

Next is KeePassPortable, it executes nearly everything on the stick instead of Windows folders (such as temp) and also can be started using parameters, which wouldn't be possible without the P.Apps starter.

I also use FileZilla portable 'cause I've stored my passwords in there, sure I could use the auto-type function of KeePass, but then other settings I did, such ones as the home dir wouldn't get saved.

So I'm mostly using these apps in school mostly in my free lessons (tomorrow e.g. the fifth and sixth lesson) and mostly I'm then going in the office of our small student company (is that term correct?) "Fruchtoase" (Eng: Fruitoasis, we offer small meals of fruits and vegetables and what fits to them, e.g. curd with bananas or strawberries) to spend my time there ;).

And neither I work in the tech field repairing computers nor I musn't install these apps on that computer, it's only having my passwords, bookmarks, settings and other stuff with me.

Didn't read the topic but this has been around for ages, how are you just finding out about it? :P I use it all the time at college/laptop/pc etc

@Mini, I figured you'd like it, I know you like stuff like that.

@GS, I only found out about it yesterday when a guy from work showed it to me.

@Mini, I figured you'd like it, I know you like stuff like that.

:lol:.

Oh and I forgot to say that I use KeePassMobile on my phone If I might forget my flash drive ;).

Sign in to follow this