Destination Time
:
Present Time
:
Last Time Departed
Sign in to follow this  
Saiyaman

Conficker

I suppose that Linux distribution and Mac users are out of harms way, right?

Would... ummm... creating a dual boot with Linux, backing up the necessary data on the Linux partition and wiping the Windows partition save people?

Also, is it safe to assume that a company like Kaspersky created the virus, in order to collect a buck in the last days before Conficker activation?

Edited by iMaster

Well either that or someone who is really p***ed at MS! You can't get it on Linux or Mac cause it was so obviously created on a Linux, no other OS pwns MS like Linux does! :lol:

If Conficker has to work on Linux and Mac, it has to be completely rebuilt. And it ain't gonna be a Conficker variant anymore, nor Conficker at all, but a completely different virus. Then again, what makes you guys think the Conficker guys won't make a Linux/Mac version of it? The techniques/ways/"principles" Conficker uses to infect computers are after all applicable to all OS's.

@iPro/iMaster:

The Conficker takes many forms from exes to DLLS, and from seemingly harmless JPEGs/GIFs to document files, AND it is capable of making copies in another partition as far as I can recall.

So when backing up files in the Linux partition, be sure you're backing up the RIGHT ones. Also, at this moment, avoid using Wine (a program that allows you to run Windows programs on Linux), unless you're a careful and smart user.

the difference is linux is constantly being patched, so that makes it harder to crack with the code changing so constantly.

Not saying that Linux cannot get viruses, but the likelyhood of it is much lower then windows.

Wine could introduce the virus, but the virus cannot infect the linux system as it was made for windows. It'll just break some wine program or something.

My system is protected by an antivirus, which detects a trojan or two once in a while.

The Conficker virus doesn't break programs to p*ss people off. They steal important info and make duplicates of itself.

So lemme rephrase that -- avoid using Wine programs that involve asking or storing important info. Even if it is Linux, one of the variants of Conficker would be able to grab this info.

Whoever wrote that article above failed. Australia aint't a country. It's a continent. But after reading it again, I finally realized that it's still a threat. Good thing my computer system isn't infected.

Whoever wrote that article above failed. Australia aint't a country. It's a continent. But after reading it again, I finally realized that it's still a threat. Good thing my computer system isn't infected.

According to Google, Australia is a Country and a Continent.

technically its a continent. but generally people refer to Australasia (Australia, NZ, Indonesia, papa new guinea etc) as a continent even though everything is seperated by water

Australia is a legally registered country.

The big (first-grader, you've probably hear it) question is - is it the biggest island or smallest continent :P

Didn't I say that was the question you catch first graders with?

@Grim: no they arent, new zealand is directly on the pacific and australian faultline

Edited by EarthwormJim

They still are very close, politically and geographically :P

I know that that is not the point, but I had to say that :D

Sign in to follow this