:
Destination Time
:
Present Time
:
Last Time Departed
Sign in to follow this  
The Doc

How Do I Raise Virtual or Physical Memory on Vista?

Heard of ReadyBoost? Hook up a exteral hard drive or flash drive and give some the space to Vista.

I found out how to raise physical memory on XP easily on Vista it was confusing since not everything was the same as XP and my Vista Laptop has a better graphics card than my dell.

why would it? it makes your computer a bit faster. only down side is it takes up HDD space, but if you can spare it that doesnt really matter

hmm... But will a motherboard with maxed out RAM be able to handle raised memory which is HDD based?

your max virtual memory is 3 times your physical memory. my physical memory is 4gb therefore my max virtual is 12gb

Does that mean if I had a 4 GB max I can only have 12 GB as virtual even if I had 12 GB on one drive and 12 GB on another, why are there memory limits?

i dont know why, there just are. some sort of hardware limitation i guess. and you can only have 12gb max, so you can have 6 on one and 6 on another, but not 12 on both. i have 9 on one and 3 on the other

If I used a flashdrive or external drive and put a page file in it for virtual memory and if i were to take it out someday would it be bad? I'm thinking of PC's idea of the flashdrive thing...

i found it easily. mines at 12GB

lol close enough. Mine's at 16GB. :P

@The Doc: I haven't tried removing the flash drive while it's being used for freeing up virtual/physical memory in Vista before, since I don't like the risk of having my flash drive get broken.

If you really going to use the ReadyBoost feature, you'll need a flash drive with bigger size. As far as I know, you can only use 1 flash drive for ReadyBoost. Also you can't use external hard drives for ReadyBoost, only flash drives. Using a 4GB flash drive would be best, if you would risk of having the flash drive plugged forever onto your PC that is. Once the flash drive's used for ReadyBoost, the flash drive will contain a huge file occupying most of the flash drive's space, making it almost or completely useless. Disabling ReadyBoost will remove that file.

In your case, since you're using a laptop, using ReadyBoost will cause a bigger effect on your computer's performance so using ReadyBoost would be the best choice.

Sign in to follow this