Destination Time
:
Present Time
:
Last Time Departed
Sign in to follow this  
Mike

UK Super Fast Broadband

Thought this might be of interest to anyone in the UK. Looks like BT are finally getting their act together and rolling out fibre optic broadband. They are advertising a download speed of up to 40Mb, and an upload speed of up to 10Mb. I'm in for some of that, heck I could probably host bttfhillvalley on my homeserver with speeds like that.

Considering the price is (currently) exactly the same as regular BT Broadband, I think I'll be signing up to BT Infinity once my exchange is enabled.

Here are the exchange enablement dates for those who are interested.

https://www.productsandservices.bt.com/cons...blement%20Dates

i hate karoo, they are the only broadband provider in hull.

they have a monolopy in hull, the lines are open but karoo charge alot to use them.

karoo is part of kingston communications, with our own telephone lines and cream telephone boxes (we have k6 telephone lines).

karoo underestimate the amount of people need bandwidth on sundays the internet slows down below dial up its ridiculuss.

sorry for complaining about them in this topic but it seems revelant to bt rolling out fiber optic in the uk, they make it seem hull isn't part of the uk.

I actually have challanges at work in that area. It seems like the only part of the UK where BT do own the infrastructure. So yeah, not a lot you can do really, like you said, Kingston comms have the monopoly there.

a annoying thing about karoo, is that the internet in hull will go down because for something like a mouse chewed through the power cable. it takes them a full day to get it back up its annoying, and their adsl 2 packages are redicussly chraged. although the good thing is they can't install a 3 strikes policy they did that to someone once and the person who got cut off permantly sued them on the grounds that they are the only broadband company in hull.

Oh, we won't have those for quite a while.

I could probably host bttfhillvalley on my homeserver with speeds like that.

:lol: that'd save you some money if you quit your reseller account :P. But honestly, if you really want to do that, NEVER even think about hosting bttfhv with/on IIS, use an apache instead (will save you a lot trouble)!

I can imagine how long it will take NYC to get fiber optics installed. The damn city still hasn't swapped out 100 year old phone lines...

hull has telephone lines around that age as well, the ones down my street have been up since the houses were built in the 1930s, and that is on the outskirts of hull. most of the lines date to 1902 when hull got their own seperate telephone company.

Sign in to follow this