Destination Time
:
Present Time
:
Last Time Departed
Sign in to follow this  
Mini-Me

Google Steetview collecting Wifi payload data

I just read an article in staxblue's magazine commenting on Google's statement to the WiFi data collection:

http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2010/05/wif...ion-update.html

For those that didn't follow the link:

Google Germany sends their cars around the state to take pictures of the roads to use in their Street View program in Google Maps/Earth. But they not only record these images, also they collect information about the WiFi networks they come across - only the SSID (name of the network), MAC-address (unique ID of the access point) and information about the protection/encryption of the network - as they claimed earlier.

But now they excuse that they accidentally included code that collects payload data (any data transferred via WiFi). I just can't believe that they have dumb idiots working for them not checking their work...

@RG:

And you wonder why I'm so concerned about using their browser :P? Soon they'll set up a facebook-like service that knows you better than your parents without even asking you.

Oh, this one's interesting as well:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYMGkQTpODY

Damn its a shame i'm neither in germany or use a wifi connection. Chances are if the've done it there the've done it everyware so beware!!!! :P

Edited by Dave27

Sucks to be a German? :P And, really, it just seems you want to start a browser fight with me. I'll stop using Chrome only when they really start to know me better than I do. Or when there comes something better (poor knock-offs don't count).

I never used Chrome for a year now, but I don't believe Google is taking personal stuff either. I see them as a company trying to be the #1. But who knows.

The Google taking over the world conspiracy theory has been around for 3 years now, I think. Here's a video I watched before, interesting stuff:

" width="600px" height="361px">
" />
" width="600px" height="361px" allowFullScreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" />

lol @ arichards518's comment:

James Cameron was sent back in time to warn us about Google taking over the world. Yet he knew if he came out and said it, he would be killed. So he disguised his warnings as a movie called Terminator( 2: Judgment day). Google IS Skynet. Skynet is Google. James Cameron is John Connor. There's the true conspiracy.

Offtopic: The video reminds me of an old Google joke. Try typing in "find Chuck Norris" @ Google then click "I'm Feeling Lucky" if you don't know this joke yet.

well if google comes round to take pictures for streetview at my house i m turning the router off so they can't take any data, if they do i would take through the courts for breaking alot of laws, they would be breaching freedom of information and all sorts.

Google already responded to this. It was done by accident. The software they used had it built in for some reason. and only on unprotected routers. So only the retards got affected.

Update on this:

Google decided to all over the world stop sending their camcars around due to the much bad criticism they got especially for them collecting payload data.

Like archer said they could only get unprotected wi-fi networks anyway so who cares if they've got access to a few lame pics of a teen taking pics of herself in the mirror. If in doubt use wires, its quicker, more secure and more reliable.

... and more expensive and less flexible. Consoles like the Wii support WLAN from stock, a LAN adopter costs extra. Also a mobile phone with a LAN cable would be weird. So you can't just generalize that everyone could switch to a corded connection just to avoid snoopy hackers (like Google) :P.

So activating encryption is the best.

I must admit I prefer a cabled LAN setup for security. Having said that, since I moved house at the tail end of last year, I have been running a wireless only network. All the LAN cables have been laid, it's just a case of getting round to connecting them up to boxes on the wall.

a wireless router does come in ahndy though, and mini me its not recommended to run really long lan cables because the connection sped drops, if i was going to use lan i d place wireless access points around to pick up the signal, then connect the cable to my computer.

Sign in to follow this