:
Destination Time
:
Present Time
:
Last Time Departed
♠Grim♂ Reaper 1666◙

windows explorer problems

i wonder if any of you know why my windows explorer is running slow, it was running fine up until i applied the theme patch and since then right click runs slow opening up a windows explorer windows take 30-60 seconds longer than usual it used to do it instantly. my other programs run fine it just seems to be windows explorer that is the issue (in windows 7). i already restored the theme dlls and it still runs as slow. (i wonder if the windows explorer exe is have problems.)

Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit (6.1, Build 7600) (7600.win7_rtm.090713-1255)

Language: English (Regional Setting: English)

System Manufacturer: To Be Filled By O.E.M.

System Model: To Be Filled By O.E.M.

BIOS: Default System BIOS

Processor: AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 6000+ (2 CPUs), ~3.2GHz

Memory: 4096MB RAM

Available OS Memory: 4096MB RAM

Page File: 3218MB used, 14358MB available

Windows Dir: C:\Windows

DirectX Version: DirectX 11

Card name: NVIDIA GeForce 9600 GT

Manufacturer: NVIDIA

Chip type: GeForce 9600 GT

DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC

Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0622&SUBSYS_00000000&REV_A1

Display Memory: 2287 MB

Dedicated Memory: 495 MB

Shared Memory: 1791 MB

Edited by ♠Grim♂ Reaper 1666◙

The answer is in the question, "Windows"!

Problem solved ;)

Edited by Orgcon

*whistles while walking by*

It's either the theme patcher (I bet you used the Universal Theme Patcher I told you before in the Post Your Desktop thread), or some built-for-Windows-XP Windows Explorer-hacking virus doing it.

So it was the UTP. Check if you are using the default Aero theme, not a custom theme.

Or try this:

- Re-apply the UTP again

- Restart

- Select one of the Aero (non-custom) Themes

- Restore the original DLLs

- Restart

I'm not blaming the UTP itself, since it does nothing to Explorer's performance. It's likely (or it is) one of the custom themes you installed in your system.

http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/index...21103109AAWfYkP

Did you switch to the default Aero theme first BEFORE restoring the original DLLs? I kind of recall encountering a similar or the same problem before when I first used UTP, but that was in Vista. Not sure for Windows 7. If you did, then something else is causing it (not UTP, nor Explorer itself).

There's a reason why every customization pack / custom theme makers, like Stardock, put a "caution message" when using their software, or why Steve Jobs doesn't allow anyone to change the OS X's system files for the sake of customization, among others (aside from the fact that they would be blamed for damaging or bricking their OS, when it wasn't really their fault). :P

Did you restore ALL of the files, including the x86 ones?

Also you need to run those programs with admin privileges (regardless of which UAC level you've set). And be sure the x86 exe patched the files in the windows\syswow64 folder, NOT in the system32 folder.

So the problem was you didn't patched the x86 ones? Seems to be a minor problem. For a second there, I thought the UTP has compatibility problems with x64 Windows (I'm planning to switch to x64 soon).