Destination Time
:
Present Time
:
Last Time Departed
Sign in to follow this  
Knight Bob

Site time curcuits

I would mention it to PC since he coded the TC's in the first place.

This is how much I use them though...

tcusage.jpg

Well, passing the timezone and dst settings from the board to the TCs works, whereas mkportal needs extra treatment. Instead of having those variables seperated as the board does, it already sums them up.

So PC needs to do the reading based on an extra variable i added (referrer, is either mkportal or ipb).

I like these static TCs more simply because I can keep them displayed on my laptop, the old ones had to be blocked 'cause otherwise they ate up all the spare memory my laptop has.

But since one part already is done php-wise, I guess the client's load can be reduced because only the present time circuit needs to be updated. So we can talk about re-adding a javascript for that one only.

I guess the client's load can be reduced because only the present time circuit needs to be updated. So we can talk about re-adding a javascript for that one only.

Um, that's what Blue was saying

I know, I only wanted to say this way that I finally agree :P.

*sigh*

The only part I want JS for is just transferring the current local time to the php time circuits. It should not eat up. I also have the function repeating on a 1 second delay, which should make it eat up less then PC's, which I know did not have any delay whatsoever.

Here again you seem to forget the way the whole thing works:

- The user visits the page, the browser requests it.

- The server creates the page (and the timecircuits).

- The browser displays the page and then runs JavaScript

Here the whole process is normally done.

Your idea to let JS, that runs at the very end, transmit the time offset, would need to follow these steps:

- The user visits the page, the browser requests it.

- The server creates the page.

- The browser displays the page and then runs JavaScript

- Then it does an other request to apply the local time.

- The server builds the page and transmits it back.

- The browser renders the TCs.

Then there's too much traffic, why should they share the work that much? That's why I believe the server should build the TCs and the JavaScript keeps the time on track without any help of the server.

Thats EXACTLY what I'm trying to say. JS is responsible for the client side time. It in no way is communicating with the server at all.

You have to edit the php in a way so that it does not have to update the images by quering the server and instead having the client's computer do all of that. Besides, doesn't the site render the time circuits in order to do the blinking dots, or am I forgetting something. Or is it a gif file?

And how would I know how the time circuits work. I haven't seen the damn script. I'm trying to give you an idea here to make it at least more functional. Right now it is crap. I liked the old ones better.

HUH?

Now I'm completely confused. Why should the php query the server? The server runs the php and sends html back to the client.

It does if you want the JS to pass the time offset to the server that then builds the TCs.

and why can't the client rebuild the tc's. Only replacing the images that need to be replaced. And only does it if something does change? Is there some kind of limit I don't know about?

No, that's what I'm trying to say all the time. You want the JS do something with the server, here's where I don't see the point.

no, I don't want JS to do anything with the server. I want it client. So are you telling me the php time circuits is rendered by the server and then passed to the client? If so, then do what you want with it, I don't care.

Then were back at the point (@other members: there's an other chat you don't see here) that the JS grows in size.

Yes, currently the TCs are completely build by the server and the client only renders them.

It wont stay like this. Not entirely. The timezone and dst settings wont appear anymore, but the way I intended it, they wont keep up with time.

which is the whole reason I brought up js in order to update the time. Not the dst or timezone, I know you can fix that easily. But you can't do much with syncing the time to the local time for every minute.

And I don't need that to stay sync, dunno about the others.

Mike got rid of them all unless you're an ift investor thing.

Not that. I mean, I was Jules until 47 posts again.

I don't think you were around the last time I got the Clara title.

Sign in to follow this