:
Present Time
:
Last Time Departed
Sign in to follow this  
Polo423

BTTF Universe Question

So here's my thoughts...

In BTTF3 Doc says that the photograph (and thus the future) represents what will happen if the events of the present carry on into the future. So what I don't get is how, in BTTF2, Marty and Doc can travel to 2015 and prevent Marty's future son from committing a crime. First off, I thought that Marty shouldn't even be in the future since he left the past to travel there. But I remembered Doc's quote about continuing events into the future so I ruled that out. But here's what I don't get, if Marty traveled to 2015 and prevented his son from committing a crime, he would then travel back to 1985 and remember what he did in the future. Thus when it came to the actual future you would think that his son's life would be different because of Marty's change of personality. So, if his son's life is different, then he wouldn't be in a situation to commit a crime, and thus when 1985 Doc and Marty arrived in 2015 they would have no crime to prevent...and I think at this point there would be a time paradox.

Are people understanding what I'm saying? I'm confused because Marty's actions in the future alter his present when he gets back to 1985, and thus change his actions come 2015, and thus his initial trip to the future would be pointless.

Thoughts?

marty would still be able to carry on remember their were 2 martys in 1955 so theres 2 in 2015

Wait what?

When Marty left 2015 he went to an alternate timeline.

And remember, they're from an alternative timeline, too.

Also, noticed that Marty's been going with an alternate Doc ever since he returned from 1985 in BTTF1? XD

Actually Doc probably knew what was going to happen the whole time in BTTF1 during the Time Travel experiment and also making the delorean look like it did because he already saw how it would look. So no alternate doc. The ending is a good example. He was wearing a bullet proof vest. I bet we could safely assume that in the beginning of the movie he was also wearing a bullet proof vest because of earlier events with Marty in his life. That's just my theory for BTTF 1.

In BTTF 2 Marty turns out different but that doesn't mean his son will too. It's possible he's another George Mcfly.

That means no paradox. Then again, the part where Doc says "It means your future hasn't been written yet, no one has. The future is whatever you make it, so make it a good one, both of 'ya" won't happen but I doubt that would prevent them from making a good future.

As for what Flux Capacitor said, he has a point. Note that George McFly only became a non-George McFly so to speak when he was taught with lessons of self-confidence and stuff by his own son, so I believe Marty, with a successful life and all, would influence his son with the same lessons and he would be different.

No. Bob & Bob set up the universe that you CAN change history. The preset paradox thing, doesn't come into play, in BTTF (unless it's needed for a plot point). Hence why the clock tower wasn't damaged before Marty went back. The confusions happen with BTTF 2. 1 is very solid piece of TTing (minus minor things). 2 is just full of mess.

Also, what Polo said about the continuity thing was false. Even if it is continuity, there SHOULDN'T be a future Marty and Jennifer still.

Hence why the clock tower wasn't damaged before Marty went back.

I'm not sure if the clock tower was shown to be working at 2015 (I can't remember; it's been long I haven't seen the movies), but it would probably have been fixed while Doc and Marty are around. Even if people asking for donation like that old codger who looks like Doc are around, they can still fix that thing within only a few hours since it is the future after all (lol I'm guessing he IS the future Doc; in fact he was the one who convinced Marty on buying the almanac in the first place). Or were you referring to a different clock tower?

Well in terms of continuity there SHOULD be a future marty and jennifer because eventually Marty and Jennifer return to 1985 and live their life...thus Marty sees his future self.

But I think Flux is right...so when Marty and Jennifer return to 1985 they're in an alternate timeline. Thus, come 2015, their children's behavior would be different and 1985 Doc and Marty wouldn't visit them like the did in the movie.

Check out my response at the bottom of this page... Click Here I think it explains a lot... If you have any problems with this let me know... I'd love to hear any and all opinions...

Well in terms of continuity there SHOULD be a future marty and jennifer because eventually Marty and Jennifer return to 1985 and live their life...thus Marty sees his future self.

But I think Flux is right...so when Marty and Jennifer return to 1985 they're in an alternate timeline. Thus, come 2015, their children's behavior would be different and 1985 Doc and Marty wouldn't visit them like the did in the movie.

Doc and Marty exist as a branched off time line; and wouldn't be affected to the 2015 alteration. Unless someone killed their parents before birth. Plus, they had already left the Marty house before the time line changed. So they actually wouldn't of seen the changes. Most likely Marty's family wasn't even in his house at that point. If this wasn't the case the BTTF 2 movie wouldn't of happened to begin with. Biff would of erased the Delorean from exsistantce and canceled out his plan. They either be stuck in a causality loop, or Biff wouldn't of stole it.

Edited by archer9234

Sign in to follow this