Destination Time
:
Present Time
:
Last Time Departed
Sign in to follow this  
Dragon King

Windows 7 question

Does DirectSound return in W7? I googled it but just got results of people saying it's rumored. I want to know from somebody that has it.

As a Windows 7 user, I'm not sure what I'm using here.

But I'm guessing they're planning to replace it with XAudio 2, a better version of Xbox's XAudio AND the successor of DirectSound. It shouldn't be that crappy compared to (Vista's) XAudio. In fact, if Windows 7 RC has it, I'm enjoying the sounds right now AND I can play old games that require DirectSound like Soul Reaver and Tomb Raider 2/3/4 just fine.

Can Windows 7 run Team Fortress and the GB Game OK yet?

i like the built in surround sound capabilities of win 7

Luckily my motherboard has built-in high definition audio. :P XAudio 2 after all is built for surround sound systems.

Can Windows 7 run Team Fortress and the GB Game OK yet?

Yup both. Same goes to Half-Life 2, Prototype, all GTA games, all Tomb Raider games, all The Sims games, Rise of Nations: Thrones and Patriots, Max Payne, etc. In short, all games that I have. :)

Yay. Does it expire or does it work OK?

Edited by  iPro

Yay. Does it expire or does it work OK?

It will expire at around March/April 2010 AND it works OK. :P But Windows 7 would be released long before the RC expires, so you still have 3 months or so to enjoy the RC after Win7's release.

If you want to try out the RC, get a copy from MS's site asap, 'cause the one-and-only download link won't last long in their site.

my motherboard has built in hi def sound (realtex)

Nice. Same here actually (I corrected my post above, it's built-in not a separate card). I'm guessing soon in the future almost everyone will have a hi def sound card.

Do you think it could run Final Fantasy VII and Final Fantasy VIII ok? I have them for PC but every time I play it the FMVs play without sound and the battle system sounds fade out a lot. I find out that the sounds were muted by vista.

Vista has XAudio, which is crap compared to DirectSound.

Yup, they WILL work fine. I tested those games as well as other Final Fantasy games in both the beta version and in the RC, and they work perfectly. Plus, you can enjoy the FMV's more with hi def sound. :D

As for your Vista problem, it is fixable. Try downloading the latest DirectX version (March 2009 release) and the latest drivers for your sound card/chipset. The March 2009 release should have an RTM of XAudio 2, so almost all XP and Vista users already have it (sort of). Had a similar problem too with Prototype in my bro's Vista machine, and all I did is install the latest DirectX version.

Oh yeah, forgot this too (for X360 users): XAudio 2 is also planned to be released for the X360 via net as update.

Why has the world gone computer gaming system. I miss the good 'ol days with like the snes and n64 where the games were great, not very complicated, and very entertaining.

Thanks I'll post if it works or not.

In the end its easier in certain areas. They can update the system with new features and fix games (minus Wii, thanks to Nintendo being stuck in the year 2000).

Yeah but it's a computer. They have HDDs now. I just want to play a game. Not have to worry about them just releasing games because there fixable. I believe making a gaming system a computer system is what causes the problems with games in the first place. I don't want to have to download patches onto my system and waste space.

Well, it fixed the sounds cutting off but not the silence in the FMVs. What is really weird is that there is sound in the FMVs if played in a media player :(

Why has the world gone computer gaming system. I miss the good 'ol days with like the snes and n64 where the games were great, not very complicated, and very entertaining.

Agreed. I like the old times when everything's not that complicated.

Then again, we are after all pushing ourselves to the future. Sooner or later, like experts claim, computer gaming would be different, like not needing a controller to play -- you only need yourself and a powerful motion-capturing system that will be sold with gaming consoles to homes in the near future. Also, the technology we have for gaming would be helpful for others. You can already see this happening in places like amusement parks where roller coasters now involve virtual 3D graphics to spice up the ride...and make it safer.

Well, it fixed the sounds cutting off but not the silence in the FMVs. What is really weird is that there is sound in the FMVs if played in a media player :(

As for your FMV problem, I found out that you're not the only one. Some people with FF7 or FF8 had the same problem before. And this is even before Vista was released (so it may not be Vista-related).

Try both official and fan-made patches. Even Eidos has links to them lol.

lol FAIL

Still I remember testing the games in Vista before, but I didn't encounter any of the problems. They worked just fine.

How about enabling the compatibility settings?

the only problem i'm having is with the sound not playing during the movies. I already tried the compatibility modes.

erm I know it's realtek HD sound card but I don't know exactly what type. came with my comp from dell. I think I may have found the solution though.

Sign in to follow this