Present Time
:
Last Time Departed
Sign in to follow this  
raybob

Windows Vista

Windows Vista  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Is Windows Vista a good operating system and worth the upgrade over XP?

• Yes, Vista is great, definetly a good OS
    • Yes, Vista is good, but I still reccomend XP
    • No, Vista is not good, but it's not worth $150 for XP
    • No, Vista sucks, XP is definetly worth the extra $150

I'm a WINDOWS XP Lover and have 32-bit SP3 XP Right now, and will probably upgrade to Vista soon as it costs an extra 150$ to get XP (Which I love and probably would prefer to have) on a new Dell Computer (In Fact It's not even an option on the PC I want) , but I hear often that it sucks, and others say it's great. Now I know the guys at Microsoft are a bunch of Grade A A$$H0LE$, but is Vista good, or is it not? Please explain your reasoning.

Edited by raybob

I find that Vista is good, but I think Windows 7 BETA is even more stable than Vista. But I just bought a new computer with Vista Home Premium 64-bit and it works great. GTA VC works pretty well on it and I am seeing less crashes, but that's most likely from better hardware.

its good, but not worth the money to upgrade. Unless you want dx10 graphics. If you're a gamer type, XP will be more then good for you ^^

its good, but not worth the money to upgrade. Unless you want dx10 graphics. If you're a gamer type, XP will be more then good for you ^^

For me, Vista is free and XP is an extra $150

Does anybody happen to know if Vista is naturally better at Video Encoding than XP?

(I do a lot of that for my iPod)

1) Decode DVD

2) Encode VOB (MPEG2) to MP4 (MPEG4 Format)

That depends on system hardware, not OS.

What would be needed most?

My guess is just raw processing speed because my DVD Decoding program only has 2 processing threads, so having 4 cores just for that would be pointless

(Note: I put the important notes in BOLD)

That actually depends. If you have a pretty cool high-end Dell computer with some hell of a specs, go get Vista and expect better experience than XP. If you don't have one, you'll get (exactly) the opposite.

Like Archer said, it's the system hardware, not the OS.

You'll also need to be an open Windows XP user, otherwise you'll find the new interface of Windows Vista (and Windows 7 in this case) or the entire OS itself irritating and hard to deal with. A Windows XP user tried testing a Windows 7 Beta and made a negative review on it, with the name "Mojave My A$$". He made some negative stuff about Windows 7, such as the fact that the Run feature isn't featured in the Start Menu and "you have to type in RUN in the Search bar". But the reason why he said all of that stuff because he was a Windows XP lover and got used to XP that he find the OS hard to deal with, not realizing its features make it easier to use than XP. He never realized that the Search itself works better than RUN, or is RUN itself. If you have to know that Solitaire is SOL.EXE and you have type it in in RUN in Windows XP, in Windows Vista and 7 you just have to type SOL in the search bar, and you'll see Solitaire in the top of the search queue, selected and ready to be opened by a single press of the Enter key.

I have both and XP is definitely faster

When the reviewers compared Windows Vista and XP, the fact that Windows XP is faster in some/many cases makes Vista better. When you're choosing better hardware or software (OS in our case), you should choose the one that isn't only best in performance but also best in quality.

When the reviewers compared Windows Vista and XP, the fact that Windows XP is faster in some/many cases makes Vista better. When you're choosing better hardware or software (OS in our case), you should choose the one that isn't only best in performance but also best in quality.

As long as Vista includes the Classic then I guess I'm good.....

(I haven't liked the themes I seen so far from Vista)

(Chuckles remembering....) Mojave my A$$ :lol:

(I haven't liked the themes I seen so far from Vista)

The only themes you can have in Windows Vista are Windows Aero (the transparent one), Vista Basic (the awful version of Windows XP's original theme) and Windows Classic (the Windows 98-style theme).

If you want other themes other than the ones above, you'll require third-party programs like WindowBlinds.

The only themes you can have in Windows Vista are Windows Aero (the transparent one), Vista Basic (the awful version of Windows XP's original theme) and Windows Classic (the Windows 98-style theme).

If you want other themes other than the ones above, you'll require third-party programs like WindowBlinds.

Yeah, the Classic 98 style is the one I like.....

Also, yeah I probably will just wait for 7.

How long will it be until the official SP1 comes out? (I'm not really interested in the beta and what might go wrong....)

Edited by raybob

How long will it be until the official SP1 comes out? (I'm not really interested in the beta and what might go wrong....)

Windows 7 SP1? The OS hasn't released yet. :P

But if you're referring to Windows Vista SP1, it's already released since last year.

Windows 7 SP1? The OS hasn't released yet. :P

But if you're referring to Windows Vista SP1, it's already released since last year.

I know, thats why i was asking when itll be released.....

Also, can you run programs in Windows Vista in compatibility mode for early operating systems like you can in XP?

Lastly, how well does their 32-bit emulator work?

Oops, 3 posts in a row.... :lol:

Edited by raybob

I know, thats why i was asking when itll be released.....

Seeing as Windows 7 isn't out, the devs don't know what to fix yet for SP1, so its kinda pointless to make a date up. If it really needs to be fixed, SP1 will come fast, but if not, it'll take a while.

Seeing as Windows 7 isn't out, the devs don't know what to fix yet for SP1, so its kinda pointless to make a date up. If it really needs to be fixed, SP1 will come fast, but if not, it'll take a while.

Sorry, kinda tired and confused at the time, I meant to ask when will Vista SP2 be out, and when will the official Windows 7 Come Out?

Also how well does Vista's 32-bit emulator work, performance and compatibility wise?

Edited by raybob

If you still haven't decided yet, go to a forum site that discusses OS's like The Vista Forums (www.thevistaforums.com) or the AeroXP forum (www.aeroxp.org/board), or a Q&A site like Yahoo! Answers and you'll get better answers.

Sign in to follow this