:
Destination Time
:
Present Time
:
Last Time Departed
Sign in to follow this  
raybob

My Computer just died!!! (Explanation please)

I figured out my overclocking was the problem, but seeing as the computer wouldn't do anything whatsoever, just beep, I couldn't get at the CMOS

Then again, maybe the overclock wasn't the problem, 'cause I have the CPU Host overclocked from 200 to 233 now, (same as before) running at (2100 MHz and 233 FSB), and its fine, no overheat no nothing. My final guess is that my video card is about to die and couldn't handle the extra 0.1V. Also explains the fuzzy lined screen after first boot.

Then again, (Yet again... :D) the way I got my computer to finally boot was by power surging it and resetting it 10 times in 1 second, and though I don't see any permanent damage, that could have caused the weird video....

Also, some of the settings on my computer are acting weird: like as the two things I noticed, it didn't save my Windows Task Manager Settings, and didn't ask for me to reboot to do a hard disk scan, so maybe my hard drive has some damage. :o (Hope to God it doesn't!!!)

Edited by raybob

try installing bios updates

Do you know where I can download them for a:

Gigabyte Technology Model K8M800-8237/ VIA K8M400 Chipset/ Award Software International F5 BIOS????

Edited by raybob

Do you know where I can download them for a:

Gigabyte Technology Model K8M800-8237/ VIA K8M400 Chipset/ Award Software International F5 BIOS????

Also, do you know where I can get a CPU Temp Monitoring Program so I don't have to reboot when I want to make sure it's not overheating?

search for fanspeed.

bios updates will be on the gigabyte website

:angry: Yeah, I have fan speed, and my voltages are pretty low, FANS2 and 3 aren't working, Temperature 3 is over 60C, and CPU is steady at 40.

What are the VCORES supposed to be?

VCORE1: 1.5V

VCORE2: 2.5V

Just out of OC Curiosity, how hot can u get your CPU before it'll melt or die?

Also, how much in relation to the amount of overclock does OCing reduce your CPU's life?

(Mine is an AMD Athlon 64 2800+ from 2004 or 2005.....)

Edited by raybob

Also, looking at the system information I've posted here and other places, how high do you think it is safe for me to overclock my CPU Host? (200 min, 455 max, 212 now) Also how far up can I get it before I get lag?

CPU Temp @ 200 MHz = 38C

CPU Temp @ 212 MHz = 40/41C

Also, be aware that my system won't let me alter the voltage (1.504/ 1.520V Norm)

I'm considering 233 MHz (est. 2.08 GHz Clock and 233 FSB, 77 AGP??) , but I'm afraid that may kill my system again (It died when I set it to 233, but I'm sure that was the cause) and this time maybe permanently damage something. 222 would also be fine, as it would be almost 2 GHz.

It has to last at least another year and be stable.

Edited by raybob

Just out of OC Curiosity, how hot can u get your CPU before it'll melt or die?

Also, how much in relation to the amount of overclock does OCing reduce your CPU's life?

(Mine is an AMD Athlon 64 2800+ from 2004 or 2005.....)

Once your cpu gets over 70 your looking at permnant damage. Enable auto make like a tree, and get outta here off in your bios if you have it and set it too 65 C. I have an amd athlon 64x2 4800+ and ive oced it from the stock 2.4ghz too 3.ghz 100% stable for the last few weeks and reasonable temps.

Once your cpu gets over 70 your looking at permnant damage. Enable auto make like a tree, and get outta here off in your bios if you have it and set it too 65 C. I have an amd athlon 64x2 4800+ and ive oced it from the stock 2.4ghz too 3.ghz 100% stable for the last few weeks and reasonable temps.

I'm overclocking now to 2 GHz and 222 FSB w/o voltage increase, and it's noticably faster and still stable. CPU Core temp at 41C w/o load and gets up to 43 under load. I'm considering setting the host to 233 MHz @ 9x for 233 FSB and 2.1 GHz. It that works, then MAYBE 2.2 GHz later, but that'd be pushin it as this PC is over 4 1/2 years old and I need it to last at least another one. Plus, it's harder to OC without a voltage increase. (My BIOS won't allow it)

Sign in to follow this