Destination Time
:
Present Time
:
Last Time Departed
Sign in to follow this  
~Leaf~

finally decided to buy a DeLorean

So I have finally decided to start saving for a DeLorean, maybe I can do some minor upgrades to make it not suck as much and then upgrade it to a time machine

I just got my job stuff all swapped around so now i can actually start saving for the car

lets face it, DeLorean's are really crappy cars they are unreliable and out of nowhere they just stop working. so I have a proposition

let me day this first mostly for mike :) *I DON'T CARE ABOUT ACCURACY OR RESALE VALUE*

now with that out of the way here's my plan which will take a good amount of money and probably my life.

first thing is I'll need a DeLorean, at this point i'd like one that's drive able till i make money for the other upgrades, I can deal with shoveling money into problems while saving for the deus ex of repairs this should cost about $30,000 USD

next I'll purchase a kit from EV west which they have told me they are working with DeLorean and it will cost about $25,000 USD

This will be an engine replacement with an electric motor capable of going 100 miles on a full charge. (I asked about 300 miles and they said tesla range comes with a tesla price.)

after this is the ultimate upgrade

I live in Pampa TX and bobs prop shop is in Dallas TX so that's about 6 hours away I'll have it shipped up there and back asa BTTF2 delorean

---Things-That-Need-To-Be-Done---

Wings-A-Loft (basically a remote that.provides keyless entry, opens the doors, pops the boot, and gives the car an alarm)

Licence Plate Hider (here in most states we have to have a front licence plate, there are companies that make mechanical lifts that pull the plate in front of the car when driving.)

Sequential Led Brake Lights (will probably have to build these myself.)

replace all bulbs with leds (less drain on the batteries)

brightest headlights

Footwell Lighting

Hidden Antenna

rework electrical system with new cabling, relays,fuses etc

---Time Machine-Stuff--- (also keep in mind all time machine electronics are on their own battery so there's no drain of the 100 miles from it.)

BTTF 2 Time Machine Conversion Base Cost: $40,000

Door sounds (for some reason they don't normally sell them with these and nobody requests it but they said it can be done)

rear view mirror converted to screen and camera (most of the customers that requested this put the camera above the license plate i think mine should be under the wormhole emitter)

push down license plate (basically the prop barcarole license plate can be pushed down and the regular plate is behind it)

fog machine (apparently the vent fog machine actually costs extra I would have thought this was part of the conversion)

Proper Time Circuits from Moretto (I wonder if they will install these for me when the DeLorean is converted)

if anyone has any cool ideas that are possible mention them and I'll consider them.

that means don't mention flying or time travel be serious thanks.

Edited by ~Leaf~
  • Like 3

I don't know anyone who has purchased a TM conversion from bob's prop shop who has actually been happy with the results. Have a good read of this thread after one of his customers decided to speak out: http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?9760-Videobob-s-Time-Machine-16-For-Adam-Kontras-in-Hollywood

So I have finally decided to start saving for a DeLorean, maybe I can do some minor upgrades to make it not suck as much

They are as reliable as any other 33 year old classic car, things can and will break on them, so be prepared. Take your time and work through upgrading the known/common fault areas on the car before you think about bolting extra 'crap' to the back of it.

post-1-0-62450000-1419462901_thumb.jpg

post-1-0-82762500-1419462910_thumb.jpg

post-1-0-68700000-1419462932_thumb.png

;)

• Like 2

says in the topic he was happy with the conversion but it was about the spare parts he had that bob supposably stole i wouldnt have someone else install my parts heh

• Like 1

That was just one example, I personally know two folks here in the UK who have purchased parts from him, and have not been impressed by the finished result. Just be careful and do your due-diligence before you make your final decision on who to send the car to for conversion. The best bet would be Temporal FX they have a proven track record of providing exceptionally high quality results.

Of course, you may end up the same as me, and once you have the car, decide you can't possibly start defacing a very rare and unique classic car by drilling holes in it to mount bttf parts.

• Like 1

haha yea i understand completely im not lookig for the most accurate car though but i am still looking but the story you linked was about a regular guy that saved his money bought a car with some stuff in it the original owner planned for upgrades 10 years prior most of the parts had deteriorated and tossed in the trash the guy that had the conversion liked the conversion its self but was mad about his parts not being there still

Edited by ~Leaf~
  • Like 1

Great plans, Leaf!

Personally, I am not a DeLorean owner; however, from friends I personally know and people who work at Temporal FX who I used to know (Joe Walser, Terry Matalas), I would highly recommend Temporal FX and Bruce Coulombe's Coulombe Enterprises.

My friend, who owns a Coulombe car, has not had any reliability issues in terms of wear and tear with parts thus far, being a year after he sent the car to Florida to have the conversion done. If you do send your car to him though, be very picky with some of the features that you add to it, as they can really alter the car's appearance for more or less accuracy, depending on what you're going for; one of the big factors is the removal of the rear window.

Before you read the next part, I would like to point out that I'm a bit of a perfectionist. What I'm going to say will sound a bit picky, but it in no way insults the great work that is put in to DeLorean conversions.

With Coulombe replicas, I'm not a huge fan of LED ambient lighting in the interior and on the exterior. Another thing that makes me cringe a bit are the way they shape the flux coils/bands in the rear. If you want them to look a bit more accurate, make sure you mention that, as their bends are a bit different. The wiring on the sides of the body are also a factor to consider. Coulombe replicas have the wires too close to the rear fender, which isn't a big deal, but it affects accuracy.

Here is a picture of my friend's car. He runs the Steel City Time Machine page on Facebook:

10476662_859859380711439_268046073774148

As Mike said, Temporal FX is nothing but quality. Since they are comprised of people who worked on the "A" car, all you can expect is the best. I myself though, could never buy a DeLorean and deface a classic. The only way I would ever get a time machine would be for it to have already been converted by a previous owner. Don't quote me on this, though! :heh:

EDIT: I just read the thread you shared about Bob's Prop Shop, Mike. Literally, I read all of it. WOW!

I am friends with Adam on Facebook, and I never knew any of this. I feel absolutely terrible about what happened to him. This completely changed my view on videobob, which was already a bit tainted due to some of his other actions. Wow.

Edited by RobertBlox

those coils have an unusual bend in them before the bottom bend, only reason i am favoring bobs prop shop is its close to home so if need be i can come check on progress, i imagine its cheaper , and he seems to use allot of the original parts now as far as the topic with bob and adam went i feel bad for both of them bob is kind of a dick but he wouldnt steal cheap parts it was a very big missunderstanding and adam seems to like the conversion its self it was just a little bit of bad blood i think

• Like 1

those coils have an unusual bend in them before the bottom bend, only reason i am favoring bobs prop shop is its close to home so if need be i can come check on progress, i imagine its cheaper , and he seems to use allot of the original parts now as far as the topic with bob and adam went i feel bad for both of them bob is kind of a dick but he wouldnt steal cheap parts it was a very big missunderstanding and adam seems to like the conversion its self it was just a little bit of bad blood i think

I understand what you mean, Leaf. :)

Shipping costs can be crazy, so going with Bob's Prop Shop is understandable. I'm sure it will all turn out okay for you!

so as i should mention most of those goals are infact stretch goals, most of them will not happen for a long time, my main focus is just getting a Del which is currently on hold for more important stuff like bronycon

Sign in to follow this