:
Present Time
:
Last Time Departed
Sign in to follow this  
carloscarlin

Steamgames on multiple computers

I am thinking of using Steam, but I have a doubt about it:

If I buy I a game (Portal for example) my computer, and then I buy a new one and I stop using the old one, will I be able to play Portal in the new one without buying it again?

Edited by Mini-Me
Edited topic title

I've actually come around to the idea. At first I thought I must buy boxed games then got steam and thought if I lose the disc i'm screwed but on steam you can download it again for free of their servers

Yes, it's called Cloud, it stores all of your information - game progress, achievements, used modifications and so on. It will copy all of your info to the new PC, so don't worry. Even if you come around getting a different platform which has Steam, as long as the game is available for that, your Data will be transferred.

Holy whopping dammit, Russian slow internet and its doubleclick doubleposts.

Edited by iMaster

Sorry to answer in a closed topic, but I want to specify a thing iMaster said.

Even if you come around getting a different platform which has Steam, as long as the game is available for that, your Data will be transferred.

That's actually called SteamPlay - Valve currently advertises for this with the sentence "Buy it once. Play it on Mac and PC". In multiplayer games enabled for this, such as Team Fortress 2, PC and Mac players can even play together, in TF2 Mac players can equip with earbuds to show others their platform.

But as far as I figured so far, incorrectly set up sourcemods can sort of f**k off the achievements. In one mod I suddenly had all achievements, back in original Portal I have lost some :(. But that's a different topic, mods can always be made badly.

Oh and I edited the topic title, please remember to use one that tells about the topic. Just imagine you write a book - to make a lot people be interested in it and read it, it needs a good title - similar applies to here.