Destination Time
:
Present Time
:
Last Time Departed
Sign in to follow this  
Dragon King

Philippine Law

I was reading an article on the world's weirdest laws, and I came across one from the Philippines. Perhaps you (angeloelibz24) can enlighten me on it:

Rush-hour regulations in many major cities of the Philippines seem meant only for mathematicians: A vehicle can only be driven on days determined by the last digits of its license plate—this is called, for murky historical reasons, the "color-coding scheme." So borrowing a local's car may require more number crunching than it's worth. Even traveling by scooter has its challenges, since you can get ticketed for driving in sandals or bare feet.

The above quote is directly from the article.

*EDIT* On top of that this is for the rest of the forum:

What is the most ridiculous law you've ever heard of (Whether it's still in place or not)?

My fav was in San francisco:

It is Illegal to tie a giraffe to a telephone pole.

Be mindful that it can be a local, state, or national law.

I like this one:

No vehicle without a driver may exceed 60 miles per hour.

I think it was in California, as a state

No vehicle without a driver may exceed 60 miles per hour.

Well then Doc should have been arrested right there in the parking lot :P

some old uk laws (they are not enforced but not repealed either)

It is illegal to die in the Houses of Parliament

Eating mince pies on Christmas Day is banned(from the 17th century)

In the UK, a pregnant woman can legally relieve herself anywhere she wants

The head of any dead whale found on the British coast automatically becomes the property of the King, and the tail of the Queen

It is illegal to enter the Houses of Parliament wearing a suit of armour

It is illegal to urinate in public, unless you are a London Taxi driver who is urinating on the left rear wheel of their vehicle, and you are in one of the 28 London and 6 Royal Boroughs.

these are good.

Edited by ♠Grim♂ Reaper 1666◙

In York it is perfectly legal to shoot a Scotsman with a crossbow upon seeing one, except for on Sundays. However any Scotsman caught drunk or with a weapon can still be shot on a Sunday, except with a bow and arrow. Similarly in Chester it is legal to shoot a Welsh person with a crossbow, as long as it is within the city walls and is done after midnight.

If you're a local here in the Philippines, and you know how traffic and rush hour work here, then you wouldn't find the color-coding law weird. :P

It's a part of controlling the uber heavy traffic here in the PH, for the fact that jobs and school times always start at 5-8 AM and some other reasons. But despite this, and the numerous buses, taxis, jeepneys, bicitaxis/Philippine tricycles and metered taxis in the road, we still experience heavy traffic everyf*ckingday.

linc69 might know a better reason why this law is implemented.

Even traveling by scooter has its challenges, since you can get ticketed for driving in sandals or bare feet.

That would be a lie. Even our bicitaxi drivers always wear sandals or slippers without law/traffic enforcers bothering, and why would you even want to ride motorcycles barefooted? Also, because of the bribe-able traffic/law enforcers, being ticketed is "avoidable". See how corrupt our country is?

Sign in to follow this