Destination Time
:
Present Time
:
Last Time Departed
Sign in to follow this  
daangelo29

Linear equation or not?

I was working on a Math assignment, where he have to make up our own problem with solution provided for the current topic Linear Equations, when I thought of the problem below. I'm not sure if it is about linear equations anymore, since it might have been the first time I've heard of such a problem, so I made another problem in its place, but what do you think?

Mark and Jason were asked by their father to gather apples everyday. Mark gathers 10 apples per day while Jason only gathers 6 per day. If 3 days ago Mark had a total of 50 apples gathered, and the total amount of apples gathered by both is 128 today, how many did Jason gather 3 days ago?

Try solving it, too. :P

30! :P

Mark = 10 per day = 50, 60, 70, 80

Jason = 5days x 6perday = 30, 36, 42, 48,

80 + 48 = 128

- 3days = jason got 30

Edited by Orgcon

There is already a hint in the problem itself: It was said that Mark had 50 apples 3 days ago, and he gathers 10 apples per day. So the 128 part is somewhat irrelevant to solving the problem. It's just there to confuse idiots, and for checking if you've indeed got the right answer.

I'll try changing the problem so it won't be obvious, and I'll see if I should re-consider putting it in or not.

EDIT: Here's the new problem...

Mark and Jason were asked by their father to gather apples everyday. Jason gathers 6 apples per day. 3 days ago, Mark had a total of 50 apples, and today the total amount of apples gathered by both is 128. How many apples does Mark gather per day?

By the looks of it, it's no longer relevant or it is half-relevant to linear equations, but it is a word problem, so it counts in my assignment.

Now all I need is a solution for this. I can't think of the right and appropriate solution at the moment. The answer should be "10 apples per day". Does anyone here know?

No, they're helping me to do it. If you've read the posts above, I made up the problem myself. I just needed a right solution for it. (we are instructed to make up our own problems then create solutions for them; our professor will just choose some of them for discussion so we really have to make it more complicated as possible lol)

As for the graph thing, I'm not even sure if that applies, since I'm not sure either if it is linear equation or not. But anyway, I've already made a solution. Thanks for those who try to help.