Last Time Departed
iMaster

Omnibook 500 or Aspire One?

What to do?  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Acer Aspire or HP Omnibook

• Omnibook 500, fix it
    • Buy Aspire

OK, so now I will review the specs I want to put into this things.

2x256MB RAM planks, approx 50USD each

80GB HDD approx 70USD

WLAN card approx 10USD

Which sums up to 180USD and a strong possibility of screwing it up.

Or buy an Acer Aspire One A150, which costs 580USD here, in Russia?

EDIT: OK, found out a place which sells old parts, which drops the price almost twice, means I can install for the same price

2x512MB RAM planks, approx 60USD each,

160GB HDD, approx 80 USD

and the WLAN bus stays the same.

Edited by  iProton

Well acer does have a dependable line of computers. My first computer was an acer with 16mb HDD space and I'm pretty sure it had either 128KB or 256KB of SDRAM. It was a hand me down from my father and had Windows 3.1. That computer lasted forever and I never had trouble with it. I just wish I still had it to this day. I forgot what happened to it.

As far as I can remember, all my computers died or critically slowed down within a year... this HP and the Mac are the only computers that still run OK.

Yeaaah... no.

HP is a good computer. My first computer is an HP Compaq and it still works like nothing bad happened to it...except for the viruses my friend and I programmed and "installed" in it. And I'm glad it's less-customized than my little bro's first PC which screwed up because of a power supply problem RIGHT after a technician replaced it with a power supply he thought would work. It was taking much electricity than it should, damaging ALL hardware and peripherals that were once connected to the PC.

Speaking of which, I'm getting my own laptop for college. It will be a gaming/high-end laptop to suit both my needs and wants. And I'm still deciding which laptop to choose (the upgradeable Dell or that cool ASUS gaming laptop which is probably more powerful than the PC I'm using right now)

OK, so now I will review the specs I want to put into this things.

2x256MB RAM planks, approx 50USD each

80GB HDD approx 70USD

WLAN card approx 10USD

Which sums up to 180USD and a strong possibility of screwing it up.

Or buy an Acer Aspire One A150, which costs 580USD here, in Russia?

EDIT: OK, found out a place which sells old parts, which drops the price almost twice, means I can install for the same price

2x512MB RAM planks, approx 60USD each,

160GB HDD, approx 80 USD

and the WLAN bus stays the same.

Repair the old omnibook 500 its a good laptop

You know what iProton, make your own decision. You don't need us to tell you what to get. Just go with what you think is best for you.

Offtopic: Holy Schitmid my name is glitched o.O?

@Joe: Yeah, I ran into bit of a problem with this thing. Gonna go on and fix it, post what turned out in half a year or so.