Destination Time
:
Present Time
:
Last Time Departed
Sign in to follow this  
ELBdelorean

I'm thinking of getting this PC but...

The PC's good but, other than the expensive display, you should also do something with the video card as well as the speakers. USB speakers are not that good to hear to (and I don't know why they have USB speakers if the audio outputs of the PC is for surround systems and high definition audio). If you're aiming for good and cheap speakers, I'd recommend Altec Lansing ATP3.

As for the video card, it'll be your choice. Since it will be running Windows Vista, you'll need cards like NVIDIA GeForce 7500 LE or better. If you're planning to replace Vista with XP, buying a copy of XP at this moment is hard or completely impossible due to Microsoft seizing its sale since June/July.

NO NO, NO NO NO!!! definatly not for gaming!!! AMD suck at gaming machines, you can't even OC them without flucking them up! Intel is better, seen as Intel and Nvidea are part of the same company! Go for Intel quad core and Nvidea 8/9 series with XP SP3 and 2Gb of RAM your sorted, anything else is a bonus! BUT DON'T BUY TILL NEXT YEAR, BECAUSE USB 3 COMES OUT IN A COUPLE OF WEEKS!!!

If you're planning to replace Vista with XP, buying a copy of XP at this moment is hard or completely impossible due to Microsoft seizing its sale since June/July.

He doesn't have to go out to get a copy of XP. Just transfer your Master Drive from your old comp into the new one (loading all the drivers needed first). Or he can clone the old Master drive to his new Master drive. Thank god the place I'm thinking about buying a prebuilt PC from only loads XP onto their comps. Their thinking about changing to Windows 7 but will always keep the XP option open for customers who ask for it. The place (Mr. PC) actually builds their own computers from customized bases and parts.

He doesn't have to go out to get a copy of XP. Just transfer your Master Drive from your old comp into the new one (loading all the drivers needed first). Or he can clone the old Master drive to his new Master drive[...]

I know. It's just that a friend of mine used this computer before and wanted to have Windows XP, so I helped him by doing the same thing but for some reason, even though I did it all right, it screwed up. I then did the best possible solution, Acronis True Image with my hard drive back-up of my Win XP hard drive. I did this on both the new and old hard drives, and it was the first (and second) time the solution that shouldn't fail failed. When we decided to go for a new hard drive from the store along with the Acronis solution, it finally worked.

In short, transferring default hard drives from an non-eMachines to an eMachines computer would screw up the eMachines PC. If he's aiming for Windows XP, either he'll try transferring his old hard drive to the new computer (hoping it would work on his unlike my friend's) or spend a lot of money and time by buying a new hard drive, creating a back-up of the entire partition(s) of the old hard drive and installing that back-up to the new hard drive.

you can't even OC them without flucking them up

No way man.There isn't any problem with OCing.You are just fanboy :lol:

I know. It's just that a friend of mine used this computer before and wanted to have Windows XP, so I helped him by doing the same thing but for some reason, even though I did it all right, it screwed up. I then did the best possible solution, Acronis True Image with my hard drive back-up of my Win XP hard drive. I did this on both the new and old hard drives, and it was the first (and second) time the solution that shouldn't fail failed. When we decided to go for a new hard drive from the store along with the Acronis solution, it finally worked.

In short, transferring default hard drives from an non-eMachines to an eMachines computer would screw up the eMachines PC. If he's aiming for Windows XP, either he'll try transferring his old hard drive to the new computer (hoping it would work on his unlike my friend's) or spend a lot of money and time by buying a new hard drive, creating a back-up of the entire partition(s) of the old hard drive and installing that back-up to the new hard drive.

Well you can't just clone it alone, you also have restore the HDD to the original factory settings , then load the drivers from there and etc...

I also have had no problems transferring DELL's XP OS to my friend's HP, and my other friend's Compaq.

Well you can't just clone it alone, you also have restore the HDD to the original factory settings , then load the drivers from there and etc...

I also have had no problems transferring DELL's XP OS to my friend's HP, and my other friend's Compaq.

I know. Did I say "alone"? :P

I clone it so that the HDD would have the right data (the BIOS, etc.) for the back-up/restore disc of the PC that it came from to work (either the disc made by the computer manufacturer or the Windows XP disc). Then I just do is use the restore disc on the HDD, which should work, to "reinstall" Windows XP in that, then restore some settings and load in the drivers. I did all of that, but it wasn't Windows XP nor the lack of driver nor the HDD. It's eMachines PC itself lacking the capability to identify the HDDs right. For some reason, it can't even detect it. I tried other HDDs from other computers, new and old, and still the same problem. I even tried doing this on other 2 eMachines PCs and strangely enough they all experience the same problem. Getting desperate to know what's really going on, I tried it on an non-eMachines PC and it worked. <_<

Sign in to follow this