Destination Time
:
Present Time
:
Last Time Departed
Sign in to follow this  
TranceLikeState

PSU Woes

Yo guys. Earlier tonight I was making a video for your viewing pleasure of some of my latest updates to the TT Del when I went to adjust the volume on the speaker and while getting back off my bed (the speaker is behind it) my foot hit the top of my computer case and a few seconds later it shut off. My computer sits on the floor next to my table so it's really low. I believe it's the PSU because it's a cheap one and I think I might've popped one of the capacitors because the comp powers on but doesn't fully make it into windows. I get a BIOS beep and it even prompts me for my password but then just dies. This leads me to believe it's the PSU. This is my current desktop build:

Intel Core2 Quad Q9300 2.5 GHz / 6M / 1333 MHz
INTEL STANDARD PROCESSOR COOLING FAN
Foxconn G41MXE-V LGA 775 Intel G41 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard
8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600) Dual Channel
500GB 7200 RPM 16MB CACHE SATA 3.0Gb/s
22X DUAL LAYER DVD-RW W/LIGHTSCRIBE
Nvidia GeForce GTX 650 GDDR5 2DVI/Mini HDMI PCI-Express video
REALTEK 6-CHANNEL DIGITAL SOUND ONBOARD
REALTEK 10/100/1000 Gigabit Network Card (onboard)
BCC VOYAGER MID-TOWER ATX
(2X) 120mm HIGH-PERFORMANCE CASE FANS
hec X ORION 585 WATT POWER SUPPLY

I have heard these PSU's are very cheap and fail easily. I have just ordered this one. It's one I've had my eye on for awhile. Like I said I guess there's no way to be sure it's my PSU but I'm 99% sure. If I put that Supernova in and it's still shuts off I'll be very surprised. What do you guys think? I'm not going to try turning it on again till I replace it.

• Like 1

I think I wanna have your computer.

I sometimes had weird problems were PCs did not start but eventually un-/re-plugging all connections while stroking the chassis and whispering nice words seemed to have helped them cure.

Maybe they just needed some attention and appreciation for all the work they do.

PS: I neither hit nor do I kick my digital friends.

• Like 1

Thanks pal. This was not an intentional kick. :P And yeah it's not a bad build. I may open it up and check the connections but I know it was under a heavy load when it was struck. ;)

585 watts. That's pretty crappy. Especially with the GTX650. You should just replace it with a 800+ watt one. Thermal tank is the brand I use.

i would try reconnecting everything in your computer just in case you knocked something loose, for example the cables could have come loose. i agree with archer though your psu does seem underpowered for you components. try this link http://www.extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp to see what amount of power you need. i'd aim to add 20% on to allow for the aging of the psu as it looses the ability to generate the watts, mines a 500 but i only need 300 watts. this gives me 200 extra watts which prolongs the life of my computer.

Edited by ♠Grim♂ Reaper 1666◙

Thanks fellas. Indeed it was a bit low for the GTX 650. The one I ordered is only 750 watts but it's the EVGA supernova so my hopes are high. I opened it up and all the connections are ok. Looks like i broke it when I kicked it. :P

• Like 1

i know i have had psus fail because the bearings on the fan goes which means that it can't pysically get rid of the heat which means that it would shut itself down to prevent further damage. you could have damaged a capacitor which meant that it stopped producing enough power for your computer, similar to capacitor health and it also depends on if it has solid or liquid capacitors liquid when they burst will damage the surround board while solid capacitors don't because there is no liquid to cause damage.

Whelp, replaced it with the Supernova today and so far so good. I love pulling out small, obviously cheap parts and replacing them with something big and badass. I feel like an auto mechanic of sorts. Only because I tie a rad buzz on before attempting such endeavors. Testing now. No obvious frame rate difference, not that I was expecting one.

EDIT: There is a frame rate increase actually. :)

• Like 1

sounds like your computer was underpowered and it might have been generating less power from the components such as the gpu underclocking to be able to run, with my old gpu which was a geforce 9600gt before i added case fans that would not run gta4 at a high rate, once i let it cool down with case fans it ran gta 4 perfectly.

Yes, most likely. What's hilarious is this PSU has the fan on the bottom, right above the heatsink. This keeps the CPU 30 degrees cooler! It's like having a new heatsink too! no exaggeration, an average of 30 degrees Celsius!

some of them do, it will be pulling the air inside the case into itself and out the back i believe that the more powerful you psu is the more of the chance that it will have a big fan.

i find mine will be like having a new heatsink everytime i clean the dust off the heatsink and fan, do intel still use the same heatsink attachments (those four clips) because i know amd does which means that if i want to i can put a heatsink from a cpu that had a tdp of 125w while my current only has a tdp of 65w. i like back case fans because of the fact that usually the mounting is near the cpu which allows the hot air from the cpu to be pulled out.

Sign in to follow this