:
Destination Time
:
Present Time
:
Last Time Departed
Jay

What should I upgrade first: CPU or GPU?

Hi!

This is my current CPU: Intel Dual Core E6500 2.93Ghz (http://ark.intel.com/products/42805/Intel-Pentium-Processor-E6500-2M-Cache-2_93-GHz-1066-FSB)
And this is my GPU: HD 4670 (http://www.club-3d.com/index.php/products/reader.en/product/hd4670-pci-express-20.165.html)

I use my PC for gaming and some 3D modeling and video editing...right now I can only buy a new gpu or cpu. Which should I upgrade first??

I'd say GPU for 3D stuff.

For converting video files etc, a faster CPU might decrease processing time by seconds, though you might not feel that much of it.

Upgrading the video card will probably improve your experience more as long as the new one wouldn't be too fast for the rest of your system/cpu (bottle neck).

I'd suggest only upgrading your CPU together with your RAM; with matching and preferably speedy FSB.

[hardcore example]

My secondary PC's (2.?GHz x2 cpu; 2.5GB ram) graphics card died so I replaced it with an ooold GeForce2 MX400 PCI card (mobo too new for AGP); It can barely run GTA.. I can convert video though, which is normal to take some time since its some work for the PC.

Do you know what goes into replacing a cpu?

Besides, it's a trade-off.

There are power requirements, motherboard requirements, etc, etc, etc.

Replacing a GPU is easier, but the trade-off is that it eats up power. Your computer could support an an AGP card as well as a PCI express GPU.

Replacing a CPU is harder, but the trade-off is that you need to do a major computer-ectomy. A lot of things tie into that.

Try the GPU first.

i would upgrade the gpu first, you might decide to go with a amd cpu at a later date which means that you would have to replace the motherboard but you could still use that gpu. check which of your games that you might play are either cpu or gpu intensive.