Destination Time
:
Present Time
:
Last Time Departed
Sign in to follow this  
bluespace88

SA BTTF Mod 0.1.3.2 Development

I made a program in C++ that connects to a server to receive data (2 actually)......whats so hard about that?

And theres such things as subversion and cvs that allow this kind of stuff.

I never said about it being hard at all. :P

And, yeah, forgot about the cvs/subversion stuff. And I believe there are also other ways that we haven't mentioned to update it via software.

very complex implies hard to code because its complex :P

Its not that complicated anyway. I got a realtime server up and running in less then two weeks, and that includes developing the graphics engine, graphics, and guis for the game.

I never considered the connecting and download part complex. I was talking about the rest of the program. That's unless you make it to a set of programs instead of just one, then it wouldn't be complex at all. :P

not really. You can use something like GTK or even the default Windows stuff that just has a button that says "update" and thats it....it'll just compare the files and if its different, download and overwrite. It can even just be a console thing that doesn't need a gui. Just run it, it'll open the command line, connect to our server, and do the download stuff.

I thought it was complex because of the model stuff.

When I thought of it, the updater would be capable of detecting the version of the mod and GTA:SA you installed, connecting to a server, downloading files, backing-up files, reversing the updating process (in cases like the user chooses to cancel it, or the PC restarts by itself after doing something during the update, etc.) without screwing up anything, changing the data inside a Notepad-editable file (instead of replacing the file itself), and importing files to an IMG.

lol, oh that. Models aren't going to be updated that frequently anyway, so might as well use an installer for those. Code will be because of all the bugs. All the repository is really for is all the .ide, .ipl, .dat, .cfg, .cs, .scm, .txd, stuff like that. Where it replaces rather then add.

Actually, I lied about the models. I have a separate img for them now. The only thing that needs to be changed in gta3.img is the deleting/renaming of bullet.dff and sparrow.dff, and any future dff's that are going to be replaced.

So we can do model updates as well, just replacing cars needs editing to gta3.img.

Don't delete models that are going to be replaced, just rename them. Deleting them might require rebuilding the IMG, which would be a pain in the a** to SA v2 users. Also, we need to do so for back-up/uninstalling purposes.

Don't delete models that are going to be replaced, just rename them. Deleting them might require rebuilding the IMG, which would be a pain in the a** to SA v2 users. Also, we need to do so for back-up/uninstalling purposes.

Or they could just run my downgrader...

Incidentally, Mini-Me successfully installed the mod on a stock V2 copy of San Andreas without downgrading it, and it worked. The lockout is in the .exe, and since that is replaced by the installer there shouldn’t really be a problem with people installing the mod on SA V2

Having an alternate IMG would be better either way. The uninstalling or updating of the mod is easier and faster this way. Also, you're not at risk of screwing-up the IMG and needing to reinstall the 4+ GB game if something screws up during the importing/rebuilding process.

Also, don't forget the "oversized IMG" problem -- if the IMG contains too many files, becoming very big in size, lags and, eventually, crashes will become the result. There is even a case when the game will be rendered unplayable if the IMG goes too big. I know Blue ain't planning to include that many models, but it's better to have an alternate IMG lying around than people going here in the forum complaining about lags and crashes.

We could, y'know, possibly use a SVN. Just putting thats out there.

And theres such things as subversion and cvs that allow this kind of stuff.

In case you missed it, or didn't know SVN = subversion :lol:

i only know of sourceforge.net, and that requires it to be open source.................which really doesn't matter anyway since sanny can uncompile the cs scripts.

It doesn't uncompile it completely though does it? Meaning that you don't get the original source code when you uncompile.

compiles completely. You just don't have my comments telling you which variable represents what.

I don't really mind releasing the source code next release (since i don't have 0.1.3.1 anymore). So people can take it and whatever.

Completely off topic, but do you have time to fix up the wormhole code for VC so we can retest? I want to try and get VC fixed so it doesn't keep crashing on loading script.

here's a fix for you angelo with the flying delorean wheels. At least I hope so. I did a few runs with the flying delorean, and no crashes due to missing wheels.

http://www.bttfhillvalley.co.uk/forum/inde...amp;showfile=62

Still no fix for when the delorean explodes, etc. Might do the VC method later.

Also source code is here

http://www.bttfhillvalley.co.uk/forum/inde...amp;showfile=60

Makes more sense then just decompiling and looking at the mess.