:
Destination Time
:
Present Time
:
Last Time Departed
♠Grim♂ Reaper 1666◙

using a older model heatsink on a new cpu

does any one know if i will get any benefit of using the heaksink from my old athlon 64 x2 6000+, i currently use a athlon ii x2 260 which has a tdp of 65w while from the research into the older chip the tdp was 125 watts. will this mean that the stock cooler will keep the cpu cooler, especially because it is bigger and has heatpipes.

would i also need to clean the heatsink considering my old cpu burnt out, and what thermal paste should i use with the heatsink?

No idea about your hardware but more watt doesn't necessarily result in higher temeratures. Maybe you can continue research by checking for which CPU types and its max temperatures your heatsinks are made for.

Cleaning the heatsink and using fresh thermal paste can have a bigger effect than using a stronger but dirty heatsink.

Its doesn't matter which CPU thermal paste you use; Air is a great insulator for temerature - so we don't want any air between heatsink and CPU.

I would try each heatsink (clean) for about one day (without paste) and checking temperature now and then (after gaming/video) using any freeware tool.

if you want to run the cpu up in heat for testing i recomend giving 3dmark a try

the old heat sink is am2+ (but the mounting brackets for both am3 and am2+ are the same) i believe the old heat sink is actually cleaner because i can easily take the fan off it to take the dust away. i am just wondering what i should use to clean the bottom of the old heat sink before using it.

If there is lots of old hard paste left just take a big flat head screw driver or a knife for rough cleaning. Scratches on the aluminium are not a big deal if it will be filled with new paste later (for me, the only CPU that burned away after replacing the heatsink was a 233 cyrix some time ago : ).

Alcohol etc is a good idea if you want to do it really properly.

i believe the cpu only burnt out was because the power supply did and sent a surge through the motherboard (only part that survived was the graphics card which is now in my sisters computer)

Alcohol etc is a good idea if you want to do it really properly.

Others favor the quick and dirty method, so if it works in this case, great! B)

Oh, dont get me wrong.. you better do it properly. :P

one of the reasons why i want to use this heatsink is the fact that my room during summer will get hot, so i believe its best to give the processor the best cooling (without forking out for a new heatsink)

If you have a fan lying around (maybe from unused heatsink) you could try attaching it to your chassis.

I had a PC chassis with an integrated fan that actually reduced the CPU heat (might already be significant) but adding a fan into another chassis had no effect. Might depend on the design and other parts that are used wich changes the air flow.

However, I think that might also have effect on the dust flow..

you have got to make sure that fans on the front of your case bring air in a fans on the back of the case take air out. there is also a fact that if you have space on the side directly above the cpu i am not sure what you should do there because i would be inclined to have a fan pulling air out to drag air towards the cpu, or i might have air coming in to directly cool the cpu.

if you have more than one hdd make sure that there is if possible a space between them all this is because if you have a intake fan infront of them then the hdds are going to block most of the air with the effect of most of it coming out any vents in the case.

I have one of those here with a side-fan but its terrible to open and close (also don't remember if it blowes in or sucks out; not in use - verry crashy)

Yep, I have always more than one HHD wich produces heat but I care more about cleaning from time to time. I don't live in a hot area, though, depending on my room setup, I sometimes tend to just leave the case open to not have to care about heat getting caught if I'm in doubt. Also helps if lazy due to easy access. No babies or cats here that would mess things up by crawling inside.