dvd drive *insert swear word here*

what to do with it  

10 members have voted

1. 1. get rid of it

• yes
    • no
    • maybe
    • other post reply

i have a ide dvd burner that refuses to burn discs and i have to constantly press the eject button sometimes to open it. although it still reads discs so i am going to hold onto it but i would like to know if that is a good idea? i am going to replace it with a sata drive at some point though.

I say get rid of it and get a new one, if you need it at all. Discs are moving closer and closer to being obsolete, so maybe if you don't need to write anything, you can stick to the one you already have?

for starters i want to burn my copy of windows xp to a disc (for older games which won't run in xp mode)

and the drive i am looking at is only £13. http://www.thesystemworks.co.uk/specif.asp?content=2225

which is good especially since its a sata one.

As you wish, I'd just get a neat USB drive for that money instead :D

I have an IDE DVD-RAM Drive Lite-On iHAP222-06 that works. I originally had one that failed, but it was under warranty and I got a RMA and sent it back to them for a new one. However, IDE DVD burners are hard to find these days. If you want a new one, I suggest you buy a SATA one. If you have a serious enough problem and you are under warranty, you could email your manufacturing company's support people and see what they think. It doesn't hurt to try. The worst they could do is say no.

Hope this helps!

-BTTFModMachine

it defientely won't be under warranty, i believe i got it 10 years ago, and i am planning to get a sata one. funily enough i could get a ide burner from my local computer shop for £20 but the sata one is only £13 so i don't see why i shouldn't go for that one. i've still actually got a cd burner which isn't plugged in atm because i don't have a spare molex connector in my computer

SATA is still cheaper, but I don't use it, even though I have an SATA port on my motherboard. I have too many IDE cables and not enough SATA ones. Oh, well.

Yeah, replace it. They aren't that expensive anymore. Regardless of discs being phased out (We still have CD-ROM discs avaible. It's a very slow process). You'll still end up needing them, for those random moments.

I would just like to say... hGC6b.gif

Edited by ~Leaf~

grim they make these things that you put in the cigarette lighter and put a usb stick in it with music and tune into the radio they are pretty cool. here

generally the radio in car is used most anyway and i most likely would never be able to find a free fm channel considering the amount of radio stations that are around, would be just as easy to use the audio cable from the computer to plug the ipod into the car and do it like that so that cost £0.

actually if you set it to a popular station it will drown that station for anyone 1 mile away from your car

yeah unless you extend the broadcasting antenna to a bigger one in the car XD

Sign in to follow this