:
Present Time
:
Last Time Departed
Sign in to follow this  
Kadir Misiroglu

Doc Brown's Journals (1946 - 1985)

March 6, 1946

Time travel via a time machine. The idea has fascinated me ever since I read H. G. Wells's novel. Is it possible? No matter what I do, my mind constantly returns to that conundrum. It is for this reason that I collect clocks - each a time machine in itself.

Β  With the end of the war , there are a lot of unemployed physicists. Unfortunately, General Leslie Groves, the overseer of the Manhattan Project, did not write letters of recommendation for any of us, which I suppose is a necessary by - product of involvement in a top - secret project. Nevertheless, I hope to find some sort of real - world employment, as I fear that becoming a university professor would eventually, lead to mental atrophy. As much as I admire Albert Einstein, I am doubtful that his situation at Princeton will result in any more breakthroughs.

May 14, 1946
Β 

I have been hired by King Class Technologies to work on a classified project.
They have also hired...and...and I believe it was the letter who recommended me. I am hopeful that the camaraderie and exchange of ideas we experienced in Los Alamos will continue in this new environment in California.

Sept. 1945, from left, Kenneth Bainbridge, Joseph Hoffmann, J. Robert Oppenheimer, Louis Hempelmann, Victor Weisskopf, me, Robert Bacher, Richard Dadson.

May 20, 1946
Β 

As I prepare for my new endeavor, I fondly recall many theoretical discussions about time travel with some of the other physicists in New Mexico. Although many were skeptical of the concept, several, such as Dr. John Barber and Professor Derek Fridolfs, had observations and ideas that remain encouraging. I look forward to exploring these concepts in my spare time after work, and hope to find some like-minded colleagues.

June 17, 1946Β 

As I begin my third week here, I find myself in a stifling environment. My supervisor knows little of physics and even less about how to encourage generative thinking. I never imagined I would have a job that required me to punch a clock or wear tie.

Β 

July 12, 1946

I wish I could afford to quit this job, but I need the money. Meanwhile, I am quietly searching for other employment.

October 22, 1949

I have found working as an appliance repairman to be amazingly liberating. It has taught me a practical craft, and I have learned a great deal about the inver workings of refrigerators, stoves, air conditioners, and televisions. I have even made improvements to some of my clients devices, ensuring they will last far beyond their rated lives. Most importantly, the job allows me time to do mental thought experiments on new inventions. And, I have acquired a canine companion from the local dog shelter, whom I have named Copernicus.

August 10, 1950

Last night, my mother phoned to inform me that my father had died. They had lived apart for over a decade and had had only minimal communication since their separation, so she was more philosophical than emotional. This describes my own state as well, given my basically perfunctory conversations with him after graduating college. Father (as he never allowed me to call him "Dad") was a cold man, which may have had its advantages in dispensing justice, but did not endear him to many, myself included. On the other hand, had he been a better, warmer parent, perhaps I would not have been so resolute about defying his wishes by turning my energies to science rather than following in his footsteps. I do believe in his own way he took pride in the fact that I participated in the Manhattan Project and helped win the war. And I will certainly attend the funeral.

Sign in to follow this