:
Present Time
:
Last Time Departed
Sign in to follow this  
markishtimetraver

0.2e won't download

Fellow admins,

I got Vice City and tried download 0.2e (not R2) and when it started downloading, it went fine but after 5 minutes it said on Google Chrome download page "server error"

I thought it was the browser and tried again on Internet Explorer, but when i tried downloading on IE, it said "Could not contact server" or it had something to do with the server.

So, really, it says there has been a problem with the server when i try downloading 0.2e. TO REITERATE IT WAS NOT R2, it was regular 0.2e

If you guys can upload a new link or someone can help me, it would be greatly appreciated.

P.S- The filefront or gamefront download link doesn't work either. It says the file cannot be found

Thank you! :D

I'm not sure if this might help you but in my experience, browser integrated downloaders are crap.

I would recommend you try FreeDownloadManager, especially for unstable downloads/connections. FDM can also check integrity (MD5 checksum etc) and accelerate download speed.

how about THAT solution: Use a "normal" Browser like Internet Explorer of FireFox by default. Google Chrome is both bulls**t and a spy.

Plus, from time to time every server needs to be partially updated which means that some sections of it might be unaccessible for that time.

Edited by CJ O'Hummer

If you ask me then it's not a problem with browsers. The built in download feature in Firefox does it fine for instance, and so should those in Internet Explorer and Google Chrome too.

The only advantage a download manager could have is that it opens multiple download streams at once to overcome a server's manual bandwidth limitation, if the server supports starting the download at a certain position in the file.

The problem with the download might be that we currently have some performance problems on the server hosting the website. Once it feels like it's doing too much at once it just stops doing it and replies with a "503 Service Unavailable" message. That might also include an ongoing download, but I'm not sure as I don't exactly know how a Windows Server thinks.

I uploaded the file you want to the German BTTFHV site that is less fast but should be on a more stable connection: http://www.bttfhillvalley.bplaced.de/downloads/Setup.exe. The link will be valid for about a week from today, probably.

I am using the most crappy connection in the universe but FDM helped me out a few times anyway because it is able to pretty reliably resume stopped or timed-out downloads (as long as the server supports resuming).

I'm using it for every download bigger than a few MB; I hate restarting a download from ground up after reaching 80% or so.. Sometimes I think my provider is just trying to bug me but fortunately, at least FDM is my friend.

The accelerating thing doesn't give me a great imrovement most of the time. Just wanted to point out that FDM can compete with other download tools but it doesn't require a reliable connection. It even has a tool integrated to set up dial-up network in case its necessary to restart that kind of connection. :P

Sign in to follow this