:
Present Time
:
Last Time Departed
Sign in to follow this  
Bullseye

Col files and 3ds max

Hello everyone,

I have just made a map model from scratch in 3ds max, but I don't know about col files, do I need to create another model and export it as a col or is there a way to use the gta script for max to make a col model?

Hope this makes sense :)

~John~

ps. This is for VC not SA

Since it's for VC chances are you will need to make a new model since VC can only handle low poly col models. Is it a building? Just use basic shapes and match them to your building and attach them all together. Go into vertex mode, select all the vertex's and weld them to .001. Then i use max script COL_IO_2B. Hit set surface, then create boundings and export. Make sure the name in the box on the script box is the same as your mesh. Then download steves col editor 2 and open the col file. go to edit mode, face, select all, and set the brightness near the middle. Also select the different appropriate poly's and assign the different col surface types, I.E. floorboards and such. Then hit save and test. You'll prob need to play around with it.

If you were doing one for SA chances are you could use the dff as the col model although if you're doing a TC map this is not recommended for game stability reasons. An added step in col editor is to convert it to col 3 format as well.

Col's can be uber low poly since all your character needs to do is bounce off it. In VC col's are placed in with the map files next to the ide and ipl and in sa they are placed in the gta 3 img.

Thank again Trance, the model is fairly low poly anyway, could I get away with doing one export as a col and the other as a dff? and would I need to remove the textures for the col one?

interior1.jpg

interior2.jpg

interior3.jpg

You could try that but if it crashes make a simpler col. No you don't need to do anything to the textures.

Sign in to follow this