Destination Time
:
Present Time
:
Last Time Departed
Sign in to follow this  
Mike

BTTF on Blu-Ray - October 26 2010

You took this long to post this, Mike. I talked about it like 2 weeks ago in the shoutbox lol. I'm only buying it because I held out since 2002 to replaced my incorrectly framed BTTF 2 and 3 discs. I'm very patient. :P

Edited by archer9234

I don't understand how Blu-Ray of an older quality filming can be any better than said film on a DVD...

Speaking of Blu-Ray... I was in the Sony Center the other week and I saw a Blue-Ray player going for exactly the same price as a PS3, now I wouldn't buy either, but I just thought that it's a bit of a funny concept to put a Blu-Ray player for the same price as a Blu-Ray player, with online gaming, with availability to sync to computers, and all the other crap that the PS3 offers that I don't want...

£299.99 was quite a lot imo though anyway.

Go somewhere else get one half the price.

So that means Blu-ray BTTF will look better than its original? I hope so, seeing as the original VHS's have a kind of "dirty" look to them after all these years, lol. But speaking of Blu-ray movies, is there word of Ghostbusters for Blu-ray, or any Knight Rider?

All film that is 35mm, has the equivalent resolution of 4096X4000 (it's raw aspect ratio). The only thing that determines the quality: is lighting and the type of camera used. Film that is 70mm is close to 8k. 8mm is 720p. 16mm is 1080p. So future transfers of movies/shows at their maximum resolution will be 2160p.

Wow, learn something new every day :P

Thanks Archer, that cleared it up for me, and now it's time for me to turn in as I've gotta be up in 5 hours for work >_<

Ditto what Raptor said, I can't wait for this, it's so exciting. Wouldn't it be ironic if 0.2f was ready by then?

lol, it sure is!

just to let those people who are sceptical about blu-ray know, i have a blu-ray player playing on my hitachi 1080p HD projector with a yamaha 6.1 compatible sound system, complete with $3000 screen made from light reflective material, complete with curtains for that cinema feel and a microwave for popcorn!

believe me, blu-ray is the way to go, i have die hard 3 on blu-ray, and the quality is just awesome, they completely remaster the frames for blu-ray release, they have to, otherwise the quality looks crap.

For example, if they got the exact frames used for the 2002 dvd relaease of bttf, scanned them in as they are, and wacked it straight on blu-ray, it would look like absolute crap, thats why they have to go back to the original negatives made in 1985, 1989 and 1990. They make a brand new positive from the negative, and scan each frame in at 8k (8mb per frame) then, they go back and touch up each frame on the pc (remove hair and scratches) but acording to bob gale, they will be keeping some of the grain, he wants to keep them, so they feel how a movie should, which is a good idea i think, and with a media room like mine, is gonna be an absolute blast!

what hopefully they are also going to do is remove the shutter movement, so you dont see the titles moving slightly around everywhere, otherwise it will be very noticeable on blu-ray.

EDIT: changing some things above

Edited by BTTF Forever

DNRing needs to stop. Grain is part of film. No matter how new the movie is. Leave it alone, or you get this bs blur on everything. Die Hard 1 had this problem everywhere.

I have edited my first post, i was actually meant to say the grain should be kept in. :lol:

i agree, grain definatly should be kept in, as i said in my "edited" post, grain is so much part of the film, it gives it that film feel, its the point of making you feel like your watching an old movie.

Edited by BTTF Forever

@Ecto-1C (since it wont let me quote for some reason)

Yeah Ghostbusters came out on Blu-Ray.....like a while ago. Last year around this time.

The Blu-Ray transfers are going to look AMAZING, and I agree to an extent. Film grain for a refurbished movie is ok, if not preferable. The grain is what helps give older films their original charm in today's digital world, but if a film today came out on Blu-Ray and had grain on it, I'd be pretty damn p**sed.

Grain is on new films. It's just practically not visible. Cameras nowadays are extremely good. But it's there. Harry Potter 3 has the most visible grain. Since it was mostly in the dark. Put your face close to your TV. And you'll see it.

No its not. It's higher capacity with a resolution support of 480i/p 720p 1080i/p. With proper 24fps film support. loss less audio. Up to 7.1 surround sound. Built in Java menu system, 3D support. Picture in picture video overlays. Animated text system. And allows firmware updates. DVD is 480i/p with 29.97fps only, and up to 5.1 surround support.

Are you sure about the 5.1 thing on DVD's? Just saying as I'm sure I've seen my cousins cinema system pick up some of his DVD's as 6.1 in the past

Is the blu-ray set going to have the dvd and digital copy also?

Already planning to get blu-ray version and will get standard dvd one too if it doesn't come like a combo.

Are you sure about the 5.1 thing on DVD's? Just saying as I'm sure I've seen my cousins cinema system pick up some of his DVD's as 6.1 in the past

That's virtual support.

Actualy it isnt virtual, as i said before, i have a 6.1 sound system (the extra speaker is Rear Center for those noobs out there) anyway, out of the 900+ movie colection i have, i have seen a couple of movies in that say it is in 6.1 DTS ES or 6.1 Dolby Digital EX, for example Titanic is in 6.1 DTS ES

all blu-ray is a a disc with a higher capacity.

No its not. It's higher capacity with a resolution support of 480i/p 720p 1080i/p. With proper 24fps film support. loss less audio. Up to 7.1 surround sound. Built in Java menu system, 3D support. Picture in picture video overlays. Animated text system. And allows firmware updates. DVD is 480i/p with 29.97fps only, and up to 5.1 surround support.

LOL PWNED !!!!!!

Edited by BTTF Forever

It would seem that ppl here know their Blu-Ray movie specs... I just got a Blu-Ray player last week, and all I know about it is that the picture looks better, lol

oh, well if you need any info, i would consider consulting me first, and then archer9234! :lol:. Since it sounds like he knows what he is talking bout, i know a fair amount about blu ray players, but not off the top of my head like archer.

Ah. I never used DTS. I didn't know it had the extra channel. I had a feeling it was DTS, when Mike brought it up.

Is the blu-ray set going to have the dvd and digital copy also?

Already planning to get blu-ray version and will get standard dvd one too if it doesn't come like a combo.

The info didn't mention those. What's the point in getting the DVD version (assuming you have the first two DVD releases). Only the special features disc would be new. Do you really have to see that everywhere, lol.

Sign in to follow this