Present Time
:
Last Time Departed
Sign in to follow this  
Mike

April Fools, Suckers!!! - Discussion

My friends,

(This is going to hurt.)

Apologies for posting this in General and not Announcements, but I think you'll want to comment after you've read it.

After days of agonizing over the BTTF-related discussion/tasks at hand for this month, it is clear to me that there is really only one choice left to us.

Given the now-reduced manpower available to the BTTF dev team, we are clearly no longer capable of executing our mission to develop the BTTF HV mod for VC and SA.

Try not to be angry at us when considering all the things we could have done or should have done during the development of BTTF HV. Please understand that many of the good people of the BTTF dev team have given the final measure of all they could given the circumstances presented by familial obligations, faltering relationships at home, the failed economy, loss of jobs, the demands of school, increased workloads placed on our numbers by employers that sign our real life paychecks, and the limitations of simply being human. The stresses of developing the mod have always been very real, and often very painful.

The only thing that could ever really harm us, REAL LIFE, has made the decision for us. Admitting it, is simply miserable. However, sometime in the night while we were sleeping, we passed the point of no return. Though just a few weeks ago, it seemed we could still get the job done, the engine has stopped because Real Life is demanding it’s payment.

I hope you'll allow us to end our trip through time with our honor intact. I think that we all knew that the hardest part of our journey, would be that someday we would have to end that journey.

Without a doubt, we can sit as I've done the last few days... and rethink our choices a million times over, but the writing really is on the wall.

This project has become a part of who we are... and for that reason, letting go is heart-breaking. In so many ways, this has become SO MUCH MORE than "just a mod." This project has been about PEOPLE and TEAMWORK and the WILLPOWER to build SOMETHING out of NOTHING.

Most importantly though, our project has come to represent a global friendship and PROOF that a few good and determined people can change their surroundings for the better.

Going forward effective immediately, we are retiring the BTTF HV mod and I am releasing the BTTF dev team from all actual or implied development responsibilities.

We do reserve the right to hold the titles "Back to the Future: Hill Valley" and/or "BTTF HV" for future consideration. (I think that after all this time we've earned the rights to our own name.)

Here and now, the idea of re-assembling the team for just doesn't seem to be a viable concept.

The coming days will be very difficult for us, and I personally feel a great deal of hurt for those on the mod dev team who have poured so much work into all things BTTF over the last few months, and am absolutely gutted for those of you who have followed our work and encouraged us again and again over the years.

This weekend we'll take the lightning run at the clocktower back to 1985 one last time, knowing we gave it all we had. For all our faults and shortcomings we hold the simple hope that the firetrails we leave behind, and the marks we made on the history of the GTA genre, are, in the end, viewed as 'well done.'

Its time to end this letter now, and tend to the details of our demobilization, and its getting hard to see anyway...

and so I'll save my last words for the BTTF dev team and crew.

With hand on a heavy heart..

I thank you all!

See you in the future!

:(

This indeed is very sad. It will be hard to let this one go, as you are right Mike. This mod has been a great journey, and I'm glad that I was here for some of that journey. It is more than a mod, it became a part of each of us. It grew into its own being, taking with it parts of all of our lives. If one had to be technical, HV's credits list would really have to include every one of us, because we were all a part of it.

I wish this weren't the end, though we all knew it had to come at some point. It may seem a bit harsh at this point, but if HV is going away, then could I suggest that it go out with a bang. We all know what I am suggesting, but in light of this, I really can't bring myself to ask. Mainly because it seems to selfish. So I will leave it at that. You've been great to us all Hill Valley, we will miss you.

EDIT: I did have one question though. This site has become like a second home to me, as I know it has many others. What is to become of it?

Edited by Ziero

Kinda felt that this would come sooner or later. Sad. It was a great pleasure to play this mod and see all the amazing work you've done in these years.

Edited by RG

Wow.

Well this is indeed very sad. I have been with this mod since the days of ModDB and it really is astonishing how far the mod has come. All I can say is well done again to the team, especially Del who we all know has put in extraordinary efforts into this mod.

I hope the site and its downloads will still be here so BTTF fans can continue to satisfy probably the closest thing to being a part of the BTTF world.

Thanks again, this mod has given me a lot of enjoyment over the years, and it has been a pleasure to be among people from all over the world who share this appreciation of a legendary film trilogy.

Del, Mike, BACKINTIME, Pantherclaws, KITT, TimeTrain, and htscpe, Nightshade - I've known you guys for a few years now, thanks again for everything, was nice to know you all.

Best Wishes,

Dan (Formerly Dan4BTTF)

danf.jpg

Edited by Dan

EDIT: I did have one question though. This site has become like a second home to me, as I know it has many others. What is to become of it?

I have no plans to take down the site/forums, at least not at any point soon. If and when that happens, I will give everyone plenty of notice.

Keep in mind that's just a coincidence, would I have gone to the trouble of writing a frigging essay on it if it was a joke? Don't make this any harder than it already is.

Plus, it's not April 1st for everyone, for instance I think it's April 2nd now for Austrailia.

Might as well just come out with it, its on everyone's mind and I know it. Are there any plans of releasing current work before ending the great journey? Thus ending it on what I referred to as "HV going out with a bang".

I don't think so no, we may reconsider it at some point down the line, but the fact is the current build of the VC mod has way to many bugs to be able to release it and for people to actually enjoy it. :(

That's cool, I just figured to ask, as it made perfect sense to ask and get it out of the way, ty Mike for everything...

This sux :( but completely understandable. So no KR either i suppose although thats been quiet for a while. Im still hoping this to be April Fools. You guys and gals have done a great job over the years and i hope that one day in the future you'll all get back together and finsh what you've started.

Any chance of releasing the updated clocktower area for v0.2e so at least it wont go to waste on someones hard drive waiting to be accidently formated Pls pls pls.

Its a sad day for mods :(

Edited by Dave27

KR is unaffected by this decision, as that is way smaller in comparison to the size of the BTTF mod.

We will consider releasing the current 0.2f models, however please be aware that this is not complete, we only have the clocktowers, and one side of the street complete.

Keep in mind that's just a coincidence

would I have gone to the trouble of writing a frigging essay on it if it was a joke?

Mike, believe me, I've already heard stories that were even more believable, but in the end they turned out to be April fool's tricks.

Also, "coincidence" might not be a valid argument.

I can close the topic and repost in announcements then if you like. I just figured here would be best so at least the fans can comment on it.

Seriously Mike, it'd have raised the credibility of the post from the beginning, even because it's April 1st today.

Sorry, but :cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

I know what you gus are thinking, to borrow a line from Marty

"This can't be happening" - MM

"I'm afraid is is happening Marty, all of it." - ELB

I know it's hard to take in, believe me, it's hard for us as well.

You could just as well release the last version and hell with it.

Does the SA mod has the same fate as well? A little more update wouldn't hurt, for us. Just the Part 2 DeLorean fully functional and free from bugs would do. If Blue can't do it, that's ok. Perhaps I can continue it myself (perhaps).

Mike, I believe it would be best if you guys just release 0.2f, despite being incomplete and buggy. They're asking for it, and since the mod won't be getting any more updates (that is, from the official mod team), why not?

Sorry, when I said BTTF HV Mod, I mean both VC and SA.

Blue has already left anyway, if you hadn't noticed, he hasn't been on here since March 12th.

Edit - The mod is not fit to be released in it's current state, at least not the script. At a later date we can potentially look at making some of the new models available to the fans.

Unless you kept in touch, it would be ironic if he worked on something BIG, then comes back on to post it and pooooooooooooooooooooooooo... this thread :P

That would be nice, but with news of the mod being shut down, how many ppl will actually come back here to check on anything, aside from myself...

I will.

I sure will, I have nothing better to do anyway..