Destination Time
:
Present Time
:
Last Time Departed
Sign in to follow this  
bluespace88

Delorean Handling

I think its also time to change this (its pretty much the bullet's handling with suspension tweaks so the delorean isn't too high), because it behaives too much like a supercar atm (at least in SA's terms)

So a few things I want to do

-Lower acceleration

-Top Speed I think is fine, maybe a tad faster. Stock delorean goes 130mph, so a time machine should be slower than that. SA's is 102 mph.

-Delorean needs to be a lot more tail happy. Its handling's too balanced. Its not a Porsche 911 after all.

-Should be a bit clunkier to turn.

-Needs lower traction. Its too grippy.

Any other thoughts? Might do the same with VC, but VC has some really weird handling lines (ex: larger weight = higher top speed....probably perfect for the Veyron)

But but but...it's so fun to drive it the way it is. I'm all for realism, but would it be possible to have two different versions? One with the realistic steering/physics and one that's the way it is now? I'm already a crappy driver in the GTA games, trying to drive cars with crappy handling just makes things even less enjoyable.

But ya gotta do what ya gotta do, I'm still behind your efforts 100% no matter what you decide to do.

Wouldn't simply making acceleration slower make it good enough? Because DeLorean was a sports car after all.

its behaving too much like a supercar and not like a normal car.

I think the "supercar" classification suits it just fine considering it can time travel and fly. XD

Wouldn't simply making acceleration slower make it good enough? Because DeLorean was a sports car after all.

Some may call it that but a sports car the DeLo is not. At least when compared to other sports cars. As Leno said, it's more of a touring car. I agree with Blue that it would be nice to make it more realistic but not to the point where it would no longer be fun to drive. I do like the idea of a slower acceleration speed though...would allow for greater development of the spark2.mp3 sfx.

Edited by Rasterwerks

I already slowed it. Changed accel from 30.0 to 20.0.

And its not really a sports car by today's standard. 0-60 took around 10.5 seconds, and it only had a top speed of 130mph. Its engine only produced 130hp, which is the same as a modern day Toyota Corolla.

And its not like everytime you touch the accelerator the delorean will spin out of control. It'll just be a bit looser, so don't be expecting to drift in a Delorean that well.

135 bhp actually blue thats the same as a 2007 ford mondeo or tarus in america. the top speed should be 123 mph because it does have all those heavy parts on the back and it should take 13 seconds to go from 0-60

I think the point is to make it more realistic to drive, while also making it a little harder to get up to the magic number :P I'm all for it.

i'm all for it but not so much the turning its hard enough to turn the car already....for me anyways :P

So here's the progress of the handling. Its going to be a bit trickier to manage now, just be careful when you turn it, but its doable, especially if you slow down.

I didn't measure values until I did the video, so here's what I roughly have.

0-60: 8.5 seconds

0-88: 15.5 seconds

0-100: 20.5 seconds

The video will show:

-0-100mph

-The Delorean going around the corner the right way

-The Delorean going around the corner the wrong way (too much speed)

-The Delorean going around the corner the wrong way (gas while turning)

-Some street action of the Delorean.

So a few things about the new handling.

-Slower acceleration (obviously)

-Brakes are mostly the same

-Easy to turn, but then easy to oversteer and spin.

-When turning, as long as you don't mash the gas and don't go too fast, you won't spin out.

-Countersteering helps if the Delorean feels like its going to spin out.

-Handbrake users are more likely to spin out.

-Accelerating at the end of the turn will help the Delorean straighten out, but don't use it when doing the actual turning

-I could now do a few of the movie stunts much closer to the movie (ex: 180 spin at the starting line)

-Still manageable against the police. Obviously, not as easy to get away.

In addition to the Delorean, I'm using Cerbera's Handling Overhaul so the other cars are more realistic as well, so the cops aren't going to murder you.

Only problem is that there isn't enough space to get up to those 124mph, because the acceleration seems to be amazingly slow after being used to previous handling. Pretty hard to handle now too, but I guess you simply have to be more careful on driving now. By the way, is it only me, or is really DeLorean's front wheels made too small/thin? :huh:

Edited by RG

this has probably been asked before, but...

i think you should stop the speedo from going over 88, and maybe put the backround of the white thing that the display of the speedo comes out of. (the thing where it says "set to 88")

anyway, this is great, i dont know whether you'll be able to do the great lybian turn (the last u turn before they pull out the rocket launcher)

keep up the good work :thumbs:

nah, therefore the speedo had to be made much smaller, as we didn't want the "white box" fill out that much of the screen.

Also I hate the idea to fix the speedo to max. 88 mph :P. Might be that it is what Doc did to it, but I don't like it because it makes no sense to me.

@blue:

To be honest, I'm not really a fan of the idea to change all cars' handling. What for? If we replaced the cars, I'd say it's OK, but not if we stick to the stock cars.

i'll probably edit it once more once i play gt4 again with a stock delorean. Cept the acceleration cuz thats the 1st stage engine.

More forgiving handling for those who want to try

SPOILER:
BULLET 1400 3500 1.0 0 -0.10 -0.20 75 0.75 0.85 0.60 5 200 20 100 R P 4.5 0.60 0 30 0.90 0.115 5 0.20 -0.20 0.5 0.5 0.15 0 45000 40001014 01000003 0 1 1

Edited by Mini-Me
stupid board is stretched otherwise <_<

More forgiving!? I should bloody hope so! Its like driving in 1/5th gravity with what it is now. :lol:

I'll give it a shot. ;)

What exactly should be better in this handling you posted? It still feels the same as before to me.

Yeah, it is a bit the same! :/

Have you tried driving on sand with this handling? the car doesn't move :lol:

Looks like more tweaking is needed. GT4's Delorean handles better. No spinout characteristics under gas. Even without gas its hard, unless you try to induce it, in which the zig zagging will cause it to spin, but under normal circumstances, I don't think it's likely to happen. I'm kinda surprised it understeers more than oversteers.

So in other words, the handling is completely backwards, lol. Then again, in the movie, it had lots of heavy batteries in the front and that upsets the weight distribution in the rear.

Time also to do some reading.

http://www.entermyworld.com/articles/dmc-articles

Sign in to follow this