Destination Time
:
Present Time
:
Last Time Departed
Sign in to follow this  
Evil Morning Operator

GTA Berlin

I'm sure there are greater buildings in Berlin to adapt in GTA than a hotel.

Big modder. He died though, I reckon it was a car accident.

Most of us will never forget the 23rd week of 2005. It was the week, when the PC version of SanAn we've all been waiting for, was finally released. I received my copy on thursday, a great day for me you might think. But it wasn't. Not at all.

On that day I received the notification of the death of a very good friend and fellow modder. Mapping-legend Heiko Feege, better known as Odie, passed away on Tuesday, June 7th, 2005. I hope you understand that out of respect for his widow and son (8) I can't go into any details.

It was Odie who created my interest in GTA modding, it was Odie who introduced me to GTAForums, it was Odie with whom I exchanged more than 1600 emails over the last 3 years. And I miss it, I miss him.

Odie was one of the best map modders GTA has ever seen, an outstanding member of the community. Not only did he contribute massively to game research and documentation, he was also the most creative and productive mind when it comes to map modeling. And he was a pioneer. His Stunt Park was the first complete map mod for GTA3, the Beach Park the first one for Vice City. His Berlin Mod might've even been the first TC ever started for a GTA 3D game. And of course he released the first full-blown lot for Myriad. Furthermore there is the unfinished CCM as expansion to his GTA3 Stunt Park, the LC Intercity Highway (in cooperation with illspirit), the Statue of Liberty (completing Liberty City), the unfinished FunWorld mod (initiated by him) and a Skyline and some mansions for Myriad. He was working on even more lots, including a church and a factory, but didn't have time to finish them. Also, he was working on a yet unannounced huge island, which has an overwhelming landscape and some innovative features (like a cable railway).

I'm in contact with his wife and we agreed that we can't let his awesome work go to waste, and she is trying to sort out his tons of files to find those that might be of interest to us. But I have no idea yet how to organize the continuation of his work...

Odie, I hope you have internet access wherever you might be now, to see that people care about and admire you. You left way too early. No words can explain our loss, we miss you and we will always remember you.

Steve

(Sorry for telling you so late. Maybe I didn't want to spoil your fun with SA. Maybe I didn't feel like writing all this. Maybe I tried to forget. I don't know...)

Edited by iMaster

One of the guys on GTAF told me it was a car accident. Ironically, he got banned a week after he told me that, that was 2007.

I'm in contact with his wife and we agreed that we can't let his awesome work go to waste, and she is trying to sort out his tons of files to find those that might be of interest to us. But I have no idea yet how to organize the continuation of his work...

There may be something in Odie's work that motivated them to continue the mod.

Sign in to follow this