:
Destination Time
:
Present Time
:
Last Time Departed
Ziero

Step-by-step time travel.

I was bored earlier this evening, Googling and such, when I found BTTF4 (a crappy fan-made movie)... Then I checked out the creators website and did some exploring, and found this...

Step-by-step Time-travel

Hopefully this can come in handy to the team and anyone who may need it for something. Wasn't sure where else to post this, made sense to me.

oh Mark Shields. That's the guy in houston that has the replica that's not very good. The interior is crappy. But then he didn't build it himself, he bought it from a guy in Florida.

mvc-340f.jpg

Edited by Joe Statler

:eyebrow: I first found that site about 3 or 4 years ago, and it looks like there hasn't been any changes made to it since then.

Umm, I based the whole time travel effects off of his description.

Effects start at 80, wormhole starts opening at 83.

And that was 2 years ago.

Like I said, I was bored last night... Figured everyone who's been here for more than a year has either already seen this or read some topic about it... I did this mainly to help the new people here find this kind of thing... "Help them with their homework" if you will...

EDIT: @Flux... I don't think Doc's speedometer was 8 miles off, I think it was more like one of those movies things where they were like "The audience has to see two things happening at the same time... lets show one and without telling them, drop backwards in time a few seconds to show them the second thing..." Or at least that is how I figured it went, correct me if I'm wrong...

Edited by Ziero

"the shorter the trip the shorter the lag" that makes alot more sense than the flux capacitor deteriorating with each trip theory

The lag probably means a delay between the matter (the car) that entered the universe, has to balance out, to match the current universe its in. The further you go forward or backwards, the longer it takes the matter to stabilize. This is feeling too much like a episode of Star Trek: TNG.

Edited by archer9234

Well I always thought that it was the shorter trip AND the flux capacitor wearing off. Kind of made the feel of "Imperfection of Time Travel".

So i was watching the movies trying to figure out what the "lag" was supposed to be, and I think that it goes like this: "The shorter the trip, the quicker the re-entry, the longer the trip, the longer re-entry takes (i.e) look at re-entry from the first time-travel as compared to re-entry of the last.

yeah, the first one was rather instant

going back to 1985 produced a longer one. Same length going to 2015. And same going back to 1955.

The longest was going to 1985. Hmm....off to outatime.it I go.

Ok. I measured from the first flash to when the delorean appears

BTTF1:

-Mall reentry:

http://www.outatime.it/ritornoalfuturo/fra...x.php?cs=134200

http://www.outatime.it/ritornoalfuturo/fra...x.php?cs=134275

Time taken: 0.50-0.75 seconds

-Clocktower reentry:

too hard to tell with just pictures. I can only determine the starting point

http://www.outatime.it/ritornoalfuturo/fra...x.php?cs=587050

BTTF1/2

-Marty reentry:

also to hard to tell. And I'm also wondering about that....how the hell did Doc slow from 88 to 0 before he hit the driveway? Then again, the train reentered going slow. And I think I've seen a few times where the speedo jumps.

BTTF2

-1955 Reentry:

http://www.outatime.it/ritornoalfuturo/fra...=359325&p=2

http://www.outatime.it/ritornoalfuturo/fra...=359475&p=2

Time: 1.25-1.50 seconds

BTTF3

-1985 Reentry

http://www.outatime.it/ritornoalfuturo/fra...=588825&p=3

http://www.outatime.it/ritornoalfuturo/fra...=589000&p=3

Time: 1.50-1.75 seconds

BTTF1/2

-Marty reentry:

also to hard to tell. And I'm also wondering about that....how the hell did Doc slow from 88 to 0 before he hit the driveway? Then again, the train reentered going slow. And I think I've seen a few times where the speedo jumps.

Maybe the flying circuits have something to do with it. Since the train had flying circuits too.

but you can't break the laws of physics cap'n

88 to say 15 in an instant is a huge amount of acceleration on the occupants. it may be a time machine, but it ain't no physics breaker.

Well, there's always inertial dampeners and a gravity/antigravity drive... Maybe the flying circuits have a gravity/antigravity drive, that would explain the reduce of speed so quickly, and then the inertial dampeners would protect the occupants from the g-force.

Also this is a movie by Universal Studios, they are well known for breaking the laws of physics in their films.

Edited by Joe Statler

doesn't explain why the two times it reentered in part 2, especially the one where you see the speedo, the delorean didn't slow down as drastically. In fact, when you saw the speedo, it decreased like it should have.

I blame movie magic.

Doc may have some kind of control for the gravity/antigravity device. Maybe he had the deceleration feature off for the time travels while flying, since he didn't really need to decelerate quickly while in the air. And if he did decelerate during the first flight time travel in the film, he would have been rear ended by another flying car.

On another note: Who's to say that some (or at least one) of the flying circuit's features could not be used in drive mode.

like I said, Universal is known for not being scientifically coherent.

Edited by Joe Statler

Well, then, if you remember....Marty crashed into a theater.....going nearly 88 mph. 60-0 is about 150 feet, and he was going 88 at the wire strike and did not brake until a little bit after he reentered.

There's also the case of the first experiment, which the car was definitely going slower than 88 mph when it reentered. But thats only because the real delorean would have a hard time getting up to 88 mph in the mall xD

Then thats the case as with the other scenes as well. The driveway scene was filmed in a neighborhood where going 88 mph would be too dangerous. Which explains the fast time travel at the end of part 1 and the slow reentry.

Also, the train could not get up to 88 mph for the reentry scene, especially when it wasn't even a real train.

So its not the case of Universal being scientifically incoherent, but its the fact that they were not able to make it go at the actual speed for safety reasons.