:
Present Time
:
Last Time Departed
Sign in to follow this  
daangelo29

Installing the mod in GTA:SA v2.0

GTA SA: BTTF MOD INSTALLATION GUIDE FOR SAN ANDREAS v2.0 USERS

This guide is for those who have problem in installing the mod in the version 2.0 of the game. This guide might also work for those who are using 1.1, not sure. This guide also applies to the installer of other mods, if you get the point of this guide.

Short Method

- The simplest and common solution: Just downgrade the game from 2.0 to 1.0 (the moddable version). Here or here is the download page of the downgrader. The downgrader should work in ALL above-1.0 versions. If you've used a downgrader before (and failed to downgrade it), and/or installed the mod before, uninstall and reinstall the entire game before using the downgrader. Only install the mod AFTER successfully downgrading (and testing) the game.

Long Method

- If you want to do it the hard (and most effective) way, or if the method above didn't work, use this method.

- The problem about SA 2.0 is that you can't rebuild the IMG using any of IMG editors, so instead we're going to build our own "substitute" SA 1.0-format rebuildable IMG file for the BTTF models. Do the steps below IN ORDER to do this successfully:

1. You'll first need Alci's IMG Editor 1.5. Download it here (click the red DOWNLOAD button on the right). You'll also need, of course, the BTTF SA mod installer and IMG Tool 2.0 which will be provided by the mod's installer later.
  2. Completely disable all of your security programs, including User Account Control if you're using Vista or Windows 7, BEFORE doing the steps below. Be sure your PC is clear of viruses before doing this. If you're using Vista/Win7, restart your PC after doing this.
  3. If you've used a downgrader and/or installed the mod before, uninstall/delete San Andreas (and the mod) and reinstall it. DON'T install the mod yet.
  4. Go inside the MODELS folder of your GTA San Andreas directory, and rename gta3.img to "gta3orig.img"
  5. Open Alci's IMG Editor and create a new IMG file (File > New)
  6. Upload/Import any small-sized file you want (an MP3 or a useless text file you have lying around your documents folder) to the IMG so you can build/save it. Just ONE file.
  7. Build/Save it under the filename "gta3.img" inside the MODELS folder.
  8. Start the mod installer and install the mod. Because the custom IMG is in place of the original gta3.img, the installer would install the mod's files there. Once IMG Tool pops-up and you're prompted to rebuild the IMG, rebuild the IMG.
  9. We're not done yet. Keep the custom IMG opened. Open another IMG Tool window (opening IMG Tool twice or more is possible) and open the original gta3.img (gta3orig.img) with it.
  10. With the opened custom IMG as reference, rename all the files inside the original gta3.img that the installer should have replaced with the mod's to a name other than the filename of other files inside the IMG, like "1.dff" or "A.txd". Don't rename all of these files to the same filename.
  11. After renaming them all, just close IMG Tool (both windows) -- since you didn't add or replace files in the IMG, rebuilding the IMG is no longer needed.
  12. Go to the DATA folder inside GTA San Andreas' directory and open GTA.DAT with Notepad.
  13. Just below the line "IMG MODELS\CUTSCENE.IMG" and above the line "SPLASH loadsc2", add the line "IMG MODELS\BTTFMODELS.IMG". Save the file after doing this.
  14. Finally, go back to the MODELS folder then rename the custom IMG (gta3.img) to "bttfmodels.img", and the original IMG (gta3orig.img) back to "gta3.img"
  15. Re-enable your security programs and UAC (Vista/Win7 users: you can keep UAC disabled to reduce the crashes and other problems, provided that you have security programs installed)
  16. PLAY THE GAME AND ENJOY THE MOD

If all of the methods above didn't work, or if you have problems in executing one of the methods, discuss here.

@Admins and mods: Feel free to change or add info in this guide.

Hrmph, the link to the downgrader you posted doesn't recognize my game's version and aborts, so I need to do it the manual way.

Close IMG Editor without rebuilding the IMG

Build/Save it under the filename "gta3.img" inside the MODELS folder.

Hm, spot the mistake :P.

Hm, spot the mistake :P.

:blink: I don't remember putting that step (Close IMG Editor without rebuilding the IMG) there. In fact, the Long Method had 16 steps last time I checked. Removed.

Any other mistake I made in the Long Method?

Added the link to Mike's downgrader in the Short Method.

Added the link to Mike's downgrader in the Short Method.

I am going to try adding a version check to the setup utility, since currently, you can install it on any version of SA.

How about just adding this to the installer of the next version of the SA mod?

Give the installer the ability to use both methods I provided in the guide. It should work like this: The installer would check the version of SA you have, and if it is 2.0 it would first use the downgrader solution, and if that didn't work, the installer will just create a custom IMG and install the models there then change the gta.dat's code to add the IMG MODELS\BTTFMODELS.IMG line in.

That would bloat the mod installer. The downgrader is 10MB by itself, and don't forget, with each version of the mod, the installer is likely to get larger in size anyway, so I'd prefer to keep this separate.

That'd be making the installer bigger in size. You'd have models outside an IMG AND an IMG with these models inside contained in the installer. It will be like doubling the total size of all models contained in the current installer. No good idea, either.

can't you have a separate img file that contains just the bttf models and edit gta.dat, which is already edited for ide and ipls?

...or we could have that, IF you guys can give the installer the ability to rename files in an IMG file.

Speaking of which, it's about time we take advantage of San Andreas' "moddability". Custom IMGs is the point of this entire guide I made, so why not have a custom IMG for the models instead of replacing the models in the original IMG which might complicate things for some, like what Blue's suggesting? We wouldn't mind having a 100+ MB installer, as long as we install the mod without problems and we're gonna enjoy the mod later. :)

the thing is, it'll be the same either way, because the new img is just a complement to the original gta3.img. Assuming that this is doable. All the new img contains is all the files that would be added regardless anyway.

I remembered we had to remove models....then remembered that we could change the name of what dff and txd to use in vehicles.ide, so that should not be a problem.

True, it's the same, except for the fact that the user no longer needs to rebuild any IMG (unless the custom IMG that will be included isn't rebuilt yet), and SA v2.0 users and/or Vista users would no longer complain about the mod not working.

On 1/27/2022 at 4:07 PM, Mike said:

Try the following from this site: Grand Theft Auto San Andreas | Silent’s Blog (cookieplmonster.github.io) 

1) Download and apply the latest Silent patch for GTA SA
2) Download and apply Silent's ASI Loader

downloaded both, but the instructions on how to install them were a bit unclear. and since i need to restart the PC every time I test GTA, and it freezes:

1) how to install the silent asi loader, the instructions mention that i have to only move vorbisfile.dll and vorbishooked.dll to the gta folder, but what about the global.ini file?

2) first I installed gta san andreas, then the bttf_sa minimod. should I install CLEO 3 additionally or is it already included?

3) am I supposed to install both vorbis.dll files after installing the bttfsa mod (so overwriting both vorbisdll files) 

On 1/30/2022 at 4:46 PM, okeeeee said:

downloaded both, but the instructions on how to install them were a bit unclear. and since i need to restart the PC every time I test GTA, and it freezes:

1) how to install the silent asi loader, the instructions mention that i have to only move vorbisfile.dll and vorbishooked.dll to the gta folder, but what about the global.ini file?

2) first I installed gta san andreas, then the bttf_sa minimod. should I install CLEO 3 additionally or is it already included?

3) am I supposed to install both vorbis.dll files after installing the bttfsa mod (so overwriting both vorbisdll files) 

If you are having issues, do the following:

-Install a fresh copy of GTA San Andreas
-Install the BTTF mini mod version 0.1.3.2
-Install Silent Patch to your GTA SA directory
-Install Silent’s asi loader, overwrite the existing vorbis dll files in your GTA SA directory

Since I found the install script for the SA mod a few days ago on an old hard drive, I may well update it to include Silents patch and asi loader and upload a new version of the installer which is windows 10 compatible. 

Edit - updated installer published today, as always it is recommended to install the mod over the top of a fresh/clean install of GTA San Andreas: https://www.bttfhillvalley.co.uk/forum/index.php?/files/file/109-back-to-the-future-sa-mini-mod-0144/

Edited by Mike
Added link to the updated installer.
  • Like 1

Sign in to follow this